RS-Style Shift Rod \ Golden Rod went Platinum

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 06:30 PM
Blue TTop
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkD
Tony,

changing the shift rod won't cause or solve a notchy feel...
That said, the OE rod with the rubber may dampen it a little since the rubber/fiber disk "numbs" the shift feel.
other factors at play.... Gear oil or normal trans wear, usually particularly noticeable when cold
Thanks Mark. Appreciate it.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:59 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 539 Likes on 352 Posts
Smile Me have...

...a Platinum rod, got one before they became NLA. great product. Darin installed it at for me the old shop along with the factory SSK. Great combination...
Old 03-18-2012, 08:49 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkD
Tony,

changing the shift rod won't cause or solve a notchy feel...
That said, the OE rod with the rubber may dampen it a little since the rubber/fiber disk "numbs" the shift feel.
other factors at play.... Gear oil or normal trans wear, usually particularly noticeable when cold
There is an eccentric adjuster on the left front of the transmission (intermediate) case that can have an effect on shift quality ....IIRC
Attached Images  
Old 03-18-2012, 08:56 PM
camlob
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Garth S
There is an eccentric adjuster on the left front of the transmission (intermediate) case that can have an effect on shift quality ....IIRC
Thanks for posting this! How much turn with a wrench before you notice a difference? Tnx
Old 03-19-2012, 10:20 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by camlob
Thanks for posting this! How much turn with a wrench before you notice a difference? Tnx
I've only done this with my spare G64 sitting on the floor with torque tube & shifter installed .... any meaningful data would be on an installed box with the engine running I suspect. Regardless, the eccentric has by definition, one turn max range ..... I loosened the two 10mm heads & slowly turned the 13mm eccentric head until shifting "felt right" ..... when I started, I could have been loosening a drain plug for all I know - searched , but could find no definitive data on the function and recommended setting technique for this eccentric: it appears to bear against the main shift rod input shaft ( in a thread some time ago, I had removed the top two cases, viscous coupler, etc)
Old 03-19-2012, 06:24 PM
TravisB
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What part of the shift feel does that adjustment affect?
Old 03-19-2012, 07:36 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Garth S
More info please! I replaced the rubber seal in this spot years ago thinking it was leaking but never knew what it was for.

Quick Reply: RS-Style Shift Rod \ Golden Rod went Platinum