Sponsored by:

Dead Pedal Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 08:58 PM
CarmG993
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead Pedal Install

Are there any concerns with installing the dead pedal?
Is there anything behind the footrest to be concerned about?
Have the Ultimate Dead Pedal?
Also, did anyone grind the lower right corner to make the fit a little better?
Old 02-16-2009, 10:16 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

I have and installed a Rennline dead pedal. Drilled and screwed without issue. Didn't have to grind anything. Good luck....
Old 02-16-2009, 10:37 PM
air eater
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CarmG993
Are there any concerns with installing the dead pedal?
Is there anything behind the footrest to be concerned about?
Have the Ultimate Dead Pedal?
Also, did anyone grind the lower right corner to make the fit a little better?
I installed the Gert pedal set.
No grinding necessary.
It took all of an 1 1/2 hours for the entire set.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:49 PM
CarmG993
Burning Brakes

The ultimate pedal set went on easy. It's the dead pedal that I feel doesn't sit flush. I think I read a few posts where they say there was a gap. Anyone out there no what I am referring to?

Last edited by CarmG993; 02-17-2009 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:57 PM
993C4Smontreal
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CarmG993
The ultimate pedal set went on easy. It's the dead pedal that I feel doesn't sit flush. I think I ready a few posts were they say there was a gap. Anyone out there no what I am referring to?
I had the same problem with the ultimate dead pedal....I ended up sending it back as it would NOT fit properly.....sounds like the rennline one does.

You can do a search for my old thread andget other's feedback.

GL and let us know what you do.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:46 PM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just installed a set from Rennline today. Went on without any issues, and the fit is perfect.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:51 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Just drill & screw in, nothing to worry about except having a few screw holes in there.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:08 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chuck W.
I have and installed a Rennline dead pedal. Drilled and screwed without issue. Didn't have to grind anything. Good luck....
+2 on the Rennline. Black looks as close to OEM as you're gonna get, and addresses what I consider to be a rare factory mistake, like Monroe shocks. I can offer a few tips:

1) Take the time to consider Andreasing the matted carpet with Resolve or whatever. Chances are, no one's gonna get under that pedal again for many years.

2) Mark the holes with a red, fine point Sharpie. Try to borrow a short head, 90 degree right angle (air?) drill. There's very little room to get a normal drill in there to drill the perfectly perpendicular side hole to the left of the clutch pedal. A sharp, new bit (carbide?) will also help the bit from hunting around beneath the carpet before it bites.

3) Probably any installed dead pedal will cut into your footwork space down there. If you have wide feet or wear boots, it could get a little less enjoyable, but should not be a big deal for most people in most situations.

Last edited by dcdude; 02-17-2009 at 04:40 PM. Reason: spelling years correctly
Old 02-17-2009, 03:37 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Chuck, being a furriner and all, I've looked up the word "Andreasing" in a dictionary and found teh following picture. Please confirm that this is a correct definition:

Old 02-17-2009, 04:29 PM
dcdude
Drifting

All that for a Honda?

Nevertheless, if that's indeed the case, I think a lot more of us would be on board! But judging by the "ink" on her left foot, I expect that she's the type that just got finished removing the proverbial chrome from the trailer hitch. I've heard of "chemical strippers," but never imagined that saliva was the chemical.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:38 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by dcdude68
1) Take the time to consider Andreasing the matted carpet with Resolve or whatever. Chances are, no one's gonna get under that pedal again for many years.
Originally Posted by nile13
Chuck, being a furriner and all, I've looked up the word "Andreasing" in a dictionary and found teh following picture.

You characters are too much! I can't wait to get my junker off the jack stands . Then I'll go find some nice rutted, muddy roads to go tear up. That will show you.

Andreas
Old 02-17-2009, 04:49 PM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

Carm: FWIW ... I installed a set of Gemaballa pedals (Accelerator, Brake and Dead) on my Cayenne 5 years ago, with zero problems over 50k+ miles. I used clear ShoeGoo (silicon adhesive) and didn't drill or bolt anything. The dead pedal went on top of the floor carpet. One cannot see the adhesive because it is clear. To remove, just use a hair drier heat and work at it. I have also used the ShoeGoo to install SW and wheel crests, and for myriad other eclectic purposes, including repair of the arm rest inside bolt hole that always fails on 993s, and the toes of my motorcycle track boots. If you think it too hokey, then by all means measure and drill and bolt. http://www.biosafe-inc.com/shoegoo.htm
Old 02-17-2009, 05:06 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Wow! Raptor, am I understanding correctly that you've attached the pedal with this adhesive only? All 4 pedals? And they stay on tight and do not shift?

If so, I'd love to try that. I have 4 pedals laying here ready for install and I _hate_ drilling.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:13 PM
Nuff
Racer

+1! I'd love to know how well ShoeGoo works on your dead pedal.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:47 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 698 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by dcdude68
+2 on the Rennline. Black looks as close to OEM as you're gonna get, and addresses what I consider to be a rare factory mistake, like Monroe shocks. I can offer a few tips:

I used the upholstery attachment on my extraction carpet cleaner and cleaned the whole area. Cleaned the mats while I was at it.

2) Mark the holes with a red, fine point Sharpie. Try to borrow a short head, 90 degree right angle (air?) drill. There's very little room to get a normal drill in there to drill the perfectly perpendicular side hole to the left of the clutch pedal. A sharp, new bit (carbide?) will also help the bit from hunting around beneath the carpet before it bites.

I carefully aligned the dead pedal, held it firmly in place and drilled the two holes that face the driver. (Punched and drilled the first one and lightly tightened the screw before drilling/screwing the second hole.) The Rennline dead pedal fit well enough that the PITA screw on the side wasn't needed. Drill a small pilot hole first and check fit, then use the correct size bit (1/8"?). The metal in that area is THICK, so you may want to wallow out the hole a little if the screws get hard to turn as they self-tap.

3) Probably any installed dead pedal will cut into your footwork space down there. If you have wide feet or wear boots, it could get a little less enjoyable, but should not be a big deal for most people in most situations.

+1. Position the dead pedal as far outboard as possible. (It will fit better, too.) A quarter inch may make all the difference. There isn't a lot of room between the dead pedal and the clutch pedal. .

Quick Reply: Dead Pedal Install