jack & lug wrench

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 03:03 PM
CADguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jack & lug wrench

'97 C2 coupe, 6-speed

The PPI stated that the jack was present. I still can't locate it.
I have removed the entire carpeting in the trunk several times in search of the jack and a lug wrench . At the bottom of the trunk is the collapsable spare with air compressor inside of it. The tool kit is present, attached to the leading edge of the trunk lining.

Please, someone tell me where the jack normally resides, and where and what kind of lug wrench should be present.

TIA
Old 02-13-2009, 03:20 PM
mday
Intermediate

Oh dear that doesn't bode well does it.................... Does the PPI mention if there's an engine present?

Your jack & lug wrench (what a lovely colonial phrase) would normally reside in the spare wheel well in the front.

I wonder if the guy who did the PPI is related to the guy who surveyed my house. He said the garage doors were rotten; they weren't. When I challenged him he said they always mentioned that wooden garage doors are rotten as most were!

Maybe your guy is just assuming it's there?

Wheels?..................................
Old 02-13-2009, 03:26 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PPI could be wrong?

Alloy jack should be up in the nose, just behind the filler board in a little orange felt sack. I can't fit anything in the wheel well besides the wheel and the compressor. The wrench is a bar-and-socket affair that rolls up in your tool bag. Ax me how I know. The experience is so fresh, 1/1/09:

Any of the used parts sources should be able to hook you up with what's missing. I expect that a lot of it has muli-year application, with 964-XX part numbers or older.

Last edited by dcdude; 07-24-2014 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:29 PM
got*ki
Racer

IIRC, on the 964, the jack was located at the front end of the car butting up against bumper area and not in the well itself. You may want to check there. It is easy to miss.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:02 PM
CADguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by mday
Oh dear that doesn't bode well does it.................... Does the PPI mention if there's an engine present?

Your jack & lug wrench (what a lovely colonial phrase) would normally reside in the spare wheel well in the front.

I wonder if the guy who did the PPI is related to the guy who surveyed my house. He said the garage doors were rotten; they weren't. When I challenged him he said they always mentioned that wooden garage doors are rotten as most were!

Maybe your guy is just assuming it's there?

Wheels?..................................
Ok "mday", have a good laugh on me

I know this is kinda trivial, but it would be nice to have what is supposed to be included.

The engine is present and in great shape. I take it up to redline on a regular basis

So what do you blokes () call the jack, a lift? How about the lug wrench? Just curious!

I am happy to report that the car came with beautiful 18" Technology wheels (hollow twists), which are in almost perfect shape. Thanks for asking!

I guess I'll look one more time
Old 02-13-2009, 04:08 PM
CADguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by dcdude68
PPI could be wrong?

Alloy jack should be up in the nose, just behind the filler board in a little orange felt sack. I can't fit anything in the wheel well besides the wheel and the compressor. The wrench is a bar-and-socket affair that rolls up in your tool bag. Ax me how I know. The experience is so fresh, 1/1/09:

Any of the used parts sources should be able to hook you up with what's missing. I expect that a lot of it has muli-year application, with 964-XX part numbers or older.
Sorry to hear about your experience Chuck, what a way to start the new year!

When you say "...just behind the filler board...", if I understand you correctly, that is where the tool kit is held with stretch loops. Also, there is no room left in the slots in the tool bag for the bar-and-socket wrench. No orange bag to be found anywhere in the trunk.

Thanks for the "helpful" response.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:01 PM
95C4VanIsle
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gary, all of my stuff is found IN the wheel well. It all came with car when purchased two years ago. It includes the spare tire, jack in an orange bag, tool kit and an air compressor (quite small). The tool kit includes a long solid metal bar (about 12 inches) that is attached to the socket wrench (which should also be in the tool kit) for removing the lug nuts . Both of these items are on the right side of the pictures in this link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSC...ayphotohosting
Old 02-13-2009, 08:11 PM
mday
Intermediate

Ok "mday", have a good laugh on me
I didn't mean to offend . I was just trying to point out that it's either the guy who did the PPI who forgot to check, or the previous owner removed it, or maybe you didn't check when you picked up the car?

I too have the hollow spoke 18" wheels; only found that out after 12 months of ownership!

A jack is a jack over here, & the lug wrench is a wheel brace. A fender is a wing (when it's not a guitar) & the trunk is a boot. A hood is a bonnet.

If it's any consolation here is a picture of the tool kit
Attached Images  
Old 02-15-2009, 03:06 PM
CADguy
Instructor

I didn't mean to offend . I was just trying to point out that it's either the guy who did the PPI who forgot to check, or the previous owner removed it, or maybe you didn't check when you picked up the car?

I too have the hollow spoke 18" wheels; only found that out after 12 months of ownership!

A jack is a jack over here, & the lug wrench is a wheel brace. A fender is a wing (when it's not a guitar) & the trunk is a boot. A hood is a bonnet.

No problem, you didn't offend me, I can take a little joking and dish it out if needed

Thanks for the picture of your tool kit. Mine looks just like it, minus the lug nut socket and handle. Your jack looks different than other pictures I've seen of a 993 jack. It looks like a full scissors jack, as opposed to a "half scissors".

Yeah, I didn't check for the jack, look for the tool kit etc. when I went to check out/buy the car (1200 miles away). After the test drive, I was hooked, and my eyes were probably glazed over. I don't know what happened to these tools and the jack, they're just missing. Oh well...

Here is where my tool kit is located, and what it looks like:

Old 02-15-2009, 03:18 PM
CADguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by 95C4VanIsle
Gary, all of my stuff is found IN the wheel well. It all came with car when purchased two years ago. It includes the spare tire, jack in an orange bag, tool kit and an air compressor (quite small). The tool kit includes a long solid metal bar (about 12 inches) that is attached to the socket wrench (which should also be in the tool kit) for removing the lug nuts . Both of these items are on the right side of the pictures in this link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSC...ayphotohosting
Hey Bret,

It looks like my tool kit is missing the lug nut socket and handle. The jack is no where to be found, in an orange bag of otherwise. The collapsable spare is secured in the bottom of the well, with the compressor pretty much filling up the area inside of the spare. The tool kit is held to the bumper side of the panel in the front of the trunk with stretch loops. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to buy a jack and a lug wrench
Old 02-15-2009, 03:34 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

Gary,

I think I have an OEM jack kicking around at home - will look tonight.....
Old 02-15-2009, 04:37 PM
davesnothere
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you need a jack, get the turbo style (scissors), much more stable than that weird stock design.

p/n 996.721.211.00

- Dave
Old 02-15-2009, 10:00 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davesnothere
If you need a jack, get the turbo style (scissors), much more stable than that weird stock design.

p/n 996.721.211.00

- Dave
+1000

That stock jack is a piece of crap. Dangerous to use in my opinion.
chuck
Old 02-15-2009, 11:23 PM
95C4VanIsle
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gary, another point to mention is to check your lug nuts before you need to replace a tire. My car, as many others, came with regular lug nuts but also a locking lug nut on each tire. You need a special part that is inserted in the wrench to remove that locking nut. They can be ordered from various Porsche sources. If you don't have that part you can't remove the tire. BTW I agree with previous posters regarding the scissors jack.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:19 AM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Isn't that a 996 compressor/inflator? Certainly more compact. Do any Yanks here have that green first aid kit, or is that Europe-only, like a road triangle? My plastic gloves are long gone, but I do have the plastic bag for a flat tire. Oh well, I guess I can kiss the Concours goodbye!

Quick Reply: jack & lug wrench