Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Woes in Philly

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 08:57 PM
J4yDubs
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck Bernie. Ignore the people saying you should have expected this. No way. Nice 100K+ cars are out there. You should be able to take a persons description at face value. Most people are honest. Unfortunately, it sounds like you hooked up with one of the few that was dis-honest.

The removal of the Check Engine bulb is definitely a telling sign and makes your case very strong.

Good luck again.

John
Old 02-12-2009, 08:53 AM
Peter R.
Pro

Originally Posted by einreb92
$23.5
For twenty three and a half dollars who's complaining
Old 02-12-2009, 10:29 AM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Peter R.
For twenty three and a half dollars who's complaining

+ 23.5

Cheers Guy
Old 02-12-2009, 11:43 AM
cbush
Intermediate

No kidding. I wish I had paid only $23K. I paid almost twice that for a C4S last Summer, and subsequently found that I had to do an SAI related top end rebuild. Of course I tweaked a few other things while they were in there. I am happy a clam with the car, and the investment in the rebuild will pay off over time. By the way, the valve guides were worn, and the SAI passages were completely blocked. Although I am still smarting from the bill, it is actually a relief to have the work done and not have to worry about the condition of the engine.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:28 PM
Mike W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Let's all try to remember, we own Porsche's not Fords. Our repairs come a bit more often and cost more. To me it's part of the price of admission. The hope is the joy of owning and enjoying the car makes the expense worthwhile.

My TT has 78k miles and I am going through a MAJOR service of nearly $20k so I understand ouch! when it comes to car repairs. Once again I think it would be helpful to reveal the wrench who did the PPI here in Florida so no other Rennlister gets "taken"
Old 02-17-2009, 12:02 AM
fnckr
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by cbush
No kidding. I wish I had paid only $23K. I paid almost twice that for a C4S last Summer, and subsequently found that I had to do an SAI related top end rebuild. Of course I tweaked a few other things while they were in there. I am happy a clam with the car, and the investment in the rebuild will pay off over time. By the way, the valve guides were worn, and the SAI passages were completely blocked. Although I am still smarting from the bill, it is actually a relief to have the work done and not have to worry about the condition of the engine.
Originally Posted by Mike W
Let's all try to remember, we own Porsche's not Fords. Our repairs come a bit more often and cost more. To me it's part of the price of admission. The hope is the joy of owning and enjoying the car makes the expense worthwhile.

My TT has 78k miles and I am going through a MAJOR service of nearly $20k so I understand ouch! when it comes to car repairs. Once again I think it would be helpful to reveal the wrench who did the PPI here in Florida so no other Rennlister gets "taken"
While I agree with your comments, I feel the point of this thread is that regardless of price, this car was misrepresented. Therefore, the OP didn't receive the full value that he expected. That value can be defined any number of ways and is singularly his to define in this transaction.

BTW, any luck through the EBay buyer protection? Again, regardless of how you paid, if you made the deal on EBay then it is an EBay transaction.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:49 AM
einreb92
Instructor

Folks: I've been away from the keyboard for a couple of days while trying to sort out other areas of my life. I hope I have better luck here! Thanks again for all the feedback. While all the circumstantial facts may be able to be debated, what funseeker said is really more an indication of my indignation. (I rap in my spare time Ebay is very happy to work with me to resolve this only after I have given the PO an opportunity to do something. I contacted the state of Fl's emission department and they told me tampering is not against the state law but gave me a number for the federal agency whose law in effect has been broken. I haven't heard back from the Feds yet.
I am now trying to find a lawyer who will shoot off a suitable letter for me to the wrench and the PO. It seems wise to wait until my main mechanic can trouble shoot the codes on Thursday, then I'll have some idea what to reasonably ask for. I'm not trying to get this guy to "give" me the car. Nor do I think he's going to reimburse me for my lack of due diligence by not going to "see" the car before I pulled the trigger nor for believing his BS about condition. Mike, I hesitate to reveal the wrench in Tampa until I see which way things will go. If the PO pressures him, or he pressures the PO and that pays for the elimination of the codes, I think that is the best I can hope for.
In the meantime, I have a beautiful car in my garage and although it is not cosmetically as nice as I would have liked, I think in time, I can get things sorted out. Alot depends upon the codes issues. But I'm not going to wait to see what happens with the legal aspect; I'm definitely going to have the problem corrected and am hoping maybe a full tune up, gaskets all around, new sunroof gaskets and a good detailing will help me put this darkness behind me. If I get money from the schmuck, good. If not, I'll cross that bridge when and if I get there. I'm excited to get this thing moving along! I still have to learn how to drive this thing without hurting either of us LOL! Regards to all and thanks for being there with me!
Old 02-17-2009, 01:11 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

Glad you're getting her sorted out. Consider doing a DE day or two with your local Porsche club so that you don't create a more significant cosmetic problem .
Old 02-17-2009, 01:51 AM
Tango635
Racer

Bernie,

You seem like a stand-up kinda guy, so don't worry, things will turn out OK. The sun is already bright upon you, having an extra car or two, one being a 993. Get what you can quickly get from the two apparent crooks, but don't waist too much time and energy.

Quick Reply: Woes in Philly