Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you need wheel well plastic protection?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 10:46 PM
daltvater
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Do you need wheel well plastic protection?

Bringing my car in for a respray this week and I thought I would remove the wheel well plastic for the shop. (I did it just in case they didn't) Now that I have it off I'm wondering if it really needs to go back on. My old 87 didn't have this plastic stuff.

Wondering if anyone has removed it and left it off. Any issues with not having it on there?

thanks
Old 02-06-2009, 10:55 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 286 Posts

IMHO, I'd be more concerned about overspray getting on the various AC and oil cooler components, etc. than the wheel well liners. Since they're already off, I'd put the fear of God into them to properly mask everything in addition to wheels & tires. Don't forget to take off the plastic rocker panels as well.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:58 PM
daltvater
Pro

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
IMHO, I'd be more concerned about overspray getting on the various AC and oil cooler components, etc. than the wheel well liners. Since they're already off, I'd put the fear of God into them to properly mask everything in addition to wheels & tires. Don't forget to take off the plastic rocker panels as well.
Thanks, the AC and Oil cooler compenents are so clean right now it would be a shame to dirty those up. I removed the plastic rocker panels already. I'm going to attempt to repaint those blue myself. I figure if I mess it up no one will know except me.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:22 PM
nedsky
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Abolutely correct, nc. If I think this much of the wheel wells, just imagine about the working parts. That should get their attention to the good. Good luck with the work to be done, dal.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:10 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by daltvater
Any issues with not having it on there?
What is the goal exactly of leaving the fender liners off again?

You won't hurt anything, but you will end up owning probably the only 993 on the road in which all of the components that are protected by the fender liners dirty, corroded, and sandblasted with pebbles kicked up by the tires. I wouldn't buy a car like that, but that's your choice.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:09 PM
daltvater
Pro

Originally Posted by Noah
What is the goal exactly of leaving the fender liners off again?

You won't hurt anything, but you will end up owning probably the only 993 on the road in which all of the components that are protected by the fender liners dirty, corroded, and sandblasted with pebbles kicked up by the tires. I wouldn't buy a car like that, but that's your choice.
Honestly I don't care about the dirt and corrosion up there, Never bothered me on my 87', I just sprayed down the wells when I wash the car. I'm really just wondering if it would effect the cooling or aero at all. Is it the only purpose of the shields to protect components from dirt and water?

Not having them installed reminds me of pre 90 911's. Only I would ever notice them not being installed but I like the look. Something about seeing the exhaust through the wells appeals to me. Less is more or something like that.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:18 PM
daltvater
Pro

Maybe I'll just keep them off the rear. I just went out and looked at the fronts, there is a bunch of stuff up there exposed and there is some hole that looks like a vent to the front trunk.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:21 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

I removed all of my wheel well liner and rocker pieces and sold them on Ebay.

Then I spent silly money replacing every last bit! That was three years ago and everything still looks great.

Andreas
Old 02-07-2009, 05:25 PM
daltvater
Pro

Originally Posted by AOW162435
I removed all of my wheel well liner and rocker pieces and sold them on Ebay.

Then I spent silly money replacing every last bit! That was three years ago and everything still looks great.

Andreas
What did you replace? The well liner or the components they protect?
Old 02-07-2009, 05:34 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by daltvater
What did you replace? The well liner or the components they protect?
No, all of the components hidden behind the liners looked factory new when I purchased the car in '05. They did their job, but looked tired. I replaced all 8 of the main plastic liners, the two small triangles behind the front wheels, the rocker panels, and all of the hardware. Sunset loved me that year.

Andreas
Old 02-07-2009, 05:46 PM
daltvater
Pro

Originally Posted by AOW162435
No, all of the components hidden behind the liners looked factory new when I purchased the car in '05. They did their job, but looked tired. I replaced all 8 of the main plastic liners, the two small triangles behind the front wheels, the rocker panels, and all of the hardware. Sunset loved me that year.

Andreas
Wow, I can't wait to put mine back on now. Thanks Andreas. This proves that most of my good ideas are not good ideas.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:12 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

One important function of those panels is to protect the sheet metal local to the fender areas from dents from rocks thrown up by the tires. Just make sure the shop removes them once the car is there.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:43 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
One important function of those panels is to protect the sheet metal local to the fender areas from dents from rocks thrown up by the tires. Just make sure the shop removes them once the car is there.
This is an excellent point. My 964 Cup Car had several small reverse "dimples" in the rear fenders due to rocks hitting the under side of the fenders hard enough to put an impression in the metal.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:53 AM
xcusemi
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Andreas. I am thinking about replacing those plastic. Do you happen to remember about how much you paid for those 8 plastic pcs.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:24 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

I think Andreas did that a while back, and Porsche has raised their prices quite a bit since.

I would keep the liners in, they are there for a reason, and it avoids having lots of crap get up high into the seam between the fenders and the body, as well as beating up all the lines, coolers, etc. that are behind them.

The liners are sacrificial, in that they are supposed to get beaten up...its either the liner or the metal, I would rather have the liner marked up! If you guys are buying new sets of liners so it's perfect, that is.....well....nuts!

Quick Reply: Do you need wheel well plastic protection?