Rear facing child seat DONE!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 03:42 PM
bobesser
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear facing child seat DONE!

All,

I know that there has been some lengthy discussion on child seats and the biggest issue is what to do until 1 year and 20# are reached (US requirement to have a forward facing seat). I bought a Maxi-Cosi Child Seat. The nice thing about this seat is that the narrow part of the base moves to allow orienting the recline of the seat. What this means for us (and why I bought it) is that the narrow part of the seat base faces rear when the seat is mounted rear facing. IT IS POSSIBLE!

So, I had to invent a way to hold the seat belt all the way out while I got the seat situated and the belt fed through and what not. I used the little metal 'H' clip that came with the seat and a chopstick. It worked fine.

The passenger seat is pretty much useless except for storage at this point, but, it is locked in place. You have to scoot it full forward and the seat back position is full forward.

This probably isn't for everyone, but, it will work in a pinch. Then, when the kid gets a little older, I can change the seat to forward facing and regain the front seat.

Given that you give up the front seat, you probably should also consider getting an airbag off switch installed and just mount the baby seat in the front seat until the 1 year of age. Of course, this will set you back another $200 and take time for authroization and install.

Bob

Child Seat

Seat Base

Base Moves

Allows putting the narrow portion of the base where we need it

How to hold the seatbelt while you get situated and lock the seat down.

Anchored in place

Good to go!

Unusable front passenger seat. Driver's seat full forward and the seat back is released
Old 01-31-2009, 05:37 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Where did you get the seat?
Old 01-31-2009, 06:08 PM
bobesser
Pro

I got the seat at a Babies R Us in Denver CO
Old 01-31-2009, 06:47 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Not only you can't use the passenger seat, I don't think you'll be able to use the passenger side mirror either.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:36 PM
bobesser
Pro

Passenger side mirror worked fine!
Old 01-31-2009, 09:43 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Nice work! Just don't accelerate too hard with the poor little guy back there or you'll get baby vomit all over the rear window...
Old 01-31-2009, 09:47 PM
bobesser
Pro

Hey Matt,

Your signature rocks! I can't wait until mine gets old enough to 'drive'
Old 01-31-2009, 09:52 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Thanks! You won't be waiting long...Trust me!
Old 02-01-2009, 01:33 AM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 19 Posts

Very cool. I have an 11 month old and although I have a daily driver sedan, Its good to know I can put the little one in the 993 if need be. I figured I could do so once she moves to a forward facing seat in a few months, which is what has kept me from putting a DAS bar in.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:39 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Well done! It's good to see someone innovating and making their own decisions about what compromises are appropriate and safe. Trying to get good data on what the best car seat solutions are for Porsches from the rest of the conformist, minivan driving world is frustrating at best.

All I can suggest, though, is that you really push and pull on the seat hard in all axes. It is easy to think it's in there tight but you missed one possible direction of force in a crash.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:55 AM
sdcabrio
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The little guy looks pretty safe and snug in there, but what would happen if the front, passenger airbag deployed? Would it push the front seat rearward in a hurry?
Old 02-02-2009, 10:25 AM
bobesser
Pro

Originally Posted by RallyJon
Well done! It's good to see someone innovating and making their own decisions about what compromises are appropriate and safe. Trying to get good data on what the best car seat solutions are for Porsches from the rest of the conformist, minivan driving world is frustrating at best.

All I can suggest, though, is that you really push and pull on the seat hard in all axes. It is easy to think it's in there tight but you missed one possible direction of force in a crash.
I did push and pull quite a bit. One thing I will be doing in the near future is getting one of those rachet things from Babies R Us that will tighten the seat belt a little more - just to be sure.

Originally Posted by sdcabrio
The little guy looks pretty safe and snug in there, but what would happen if the front, passenger airbag deployed? Would it push the front seat rearward in a hurry?
The front seat is locked in place and the front seat back is also locked in place. Those locking mechanisms are designed to withstand the force of the airbag - Imaging if there was someone in the front seat and the airbag went off and it caused the seat back to fail!

I definitely would not have done this if the seat were mobile in any way.

Bob

Quick Reply: Rear facing child seat DONE!