Sponsored by:

Moisture in trunk!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 09:58 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Moisture in trunk!

Ok, so in the past couple of months, I have noticed some moisture under the hood. Not a lot, just some due type stuff. I had a couple of damp towels in there, & I thought that was the cause. Nothing is wet, & with the carpet out, I can't see any water, or other moisture.

My thought is the trunk gasket. But since it's $250 for a new one, I want to make sure.

Anyone got any advice on where the moisture is coming from?
Old 01-27-2009, 11:14 PM
rcwelch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure all your rubber plugs are still in the floor pan area.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:30 PM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO, it is unlikely the main trunk seal is the problem unless your seal is fuuquued..

The trunk is not sealed; it has vented hollow moisture plugs installed in holes in the trunk floor.

However, these plugs are made of rubber and prone to cracking. They eventually fall off as they become brittle.

Look under the trunk: there are a number (4 comes to mind) of rubber nipples extending about 2-3 inches into the air stream. If you don't fill all the holes, you have an open access to road water.

To replace, open your trunk lid, remove the carpet and underlining. Remove old ones and install the new ones. They are tough and you will need considerable force to seat the built in seal ring The internal vents should be aligned perpendicular to the fore/aft axis of the car.

Check your PET for the part number.

Good luck
Old 01-28-2009, 12:14 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Thanks guys, I'll take a look!

It makes sense, it is only condensation in there.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:05 PM
leeshephard
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I could not find these in the PET and I had to ask the Dealer, when I did get the part I searched the PET and it was not in there, anyway this is the part number on the ones I bought:

911 631 259 02 Rubber Grommet

cheers

Last edited by leeshephard; 01-28-2009 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Spelling :-(
Old 01-28-2009, 03:11 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Monique
IMO, it is unlikely the main trunk seal is the problem unless your seal is fuuquued..

The trunk is not sealed; it has vented hollow moisture plugs installed in holes in the trunk floor.

However, these plugs are made of rubber and prone to cracking. They eventually fall off as they become brittle.

Look under the trunk: there are a number (4 comes to mind) of rubber nipples extending about 2-3 inches into the air stream. If you don't fill all the holes, you have an open access to road water.

To replace, open your trunk lid, remove the carpet and underlining. Remove old ones and install the new ones. They are tough and you will need considerable force to seat the built in seal ring The internal vents should be aligned perpendicular to the fore/aft axis of the car.

Check your PET for the part number.

Good luck
These are very easy to remove/install from under the car.

Andreas
Old 01-28-2009, 08:20 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Well, I took everything out of the trunk, even the spare. There was some condensation on the gas tank, & almost nothing under the hood.

All the plugs are still there, & water tight. I did see that both my headlight adjuster caps were off. Hopefully that is it. I'll check it tomorrow, & see if there is any more condensation under there.

I spent about an hour cleaning everything up, vacuum the carpet, used detail spray & a few towels, got in all the nooks & crannies. At least my trunk is now "Concourse clean".

Quick Reply: Moisture in trunk!