Sponsored by:

Clutch job in Socal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 04:21 AM
Sonic dB
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainGSR
I just got off the phone with Arredondo Motorsports: around $3000 for SACHS, as expected.
Any other recommendations?
The closer to South Bay the better. I don't mind driving no more than an hour for a good trusted place.

Unless of course, somebody with experience is willing to help me out (for as many beers as you want!). I don't want to attempt that one alone.

Cheers,

I dont know about the quote, but I have had Art work on 2 of my 911s and he is very good, knowledgable and a good guy. I am actually going to see him tomorrow for the starter motor on my 993.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:39 AM
CaptainGSR
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have asked so many questions, and gathered so much info on the clutch, that it makes sense for me to attempt a DIY!

I am glad we have such a large number of trusted and qualified mechanics in our area. It was not the case where I lived before.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:16 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzilla
I trust Art @ Arredondo with my cars. In fact, my 540 is there right now! He's knowledgeable, nice, & honest. 3 traits that I've had a lot of trouble finding when it comes to mechanics in the LA area.
It seems like Yelp is gaining serious ground in SoCal for ratings of many businesses beyond food. I just added a listing for Art. Those of you who've used him should go in and add your review:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/arredondo-motorsports-torrance

The same should be done for Derek:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/lomita-911-s...nc-harbor-city

What's great about "general interest" sites like Yelp or Yahoo ratings is that they provide our favorite suppliers with exposure to the massive "non-enthusiast" customer base, which is much larger than our relative hard-core handful.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:30 AM
SCMomentum
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Johan...did you end up DIY?

FYI...Just a quick update on Callas Rennsport...
Same ballpark quote as Art.
No argument against any other proprietor but, Johan, you are correct...you do get what you pay for and Tony provides that in spades. On top of all of that he is full of intergrity, which is rare these days. In addition and very similiar to guys like Robin...you also get someone who has been and continues to be a big supporter of Rennlist and it's members. Tony is a technical writer for Excellence and has provided numerous Tech sessions for 993 owners. Check the archives...there is so much positive about he and his shop.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:04 AM
CaptainGSR
Rennlist Member

I am in the price gathering mode at this point in time. I am hoping to start in less than a month. Getting to buy more tools is a great bonus! Work is very slow right now. Plenty of time off.

I'll probably try the Centerforce DF kit, and have the current flywheel resurfaced. I am also looking for a used press.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:15 AM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Johan,

Once you get her up on jack stands (or are you buying a lift?) I wanna come over and take a look underneath. I may also be available to lend a hand when you need more than 2....under your direction!
Old 01-24-2009, 05:34 AM
CaptainGSR
Rennlist Member

Chuck, you are welcome anytime! I'll probably be the one needing directions!
We'll definitely talk more on wednesday!

Cheers,

Johan
Old 01-24-2009, 01:43 PM
TCallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I highly recommend against resurfacing a DMF (dual mass flywheel), period. I have had nothing but problems afterwards i.e. reoccurring DME (Digital Motor Electronics) misfire fault codes and the like. Just an FYI.
Old 01-24-2009, 03:48 PM
bmweater
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by travanx
How about do a group clutch job all at once with all the local people that want this done? =)

I would be down! If you guys let me come
I have restored many classic cars and built one motor up from scratch so I have a some mechanical experience...im just not sure I trust myself with the porsche..hahah
Old 01-24-2009, 08:31 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by TCallas
I highly recommend against resurfacing a DMF (dual mass flywheel), period.
Completely agree!!

Quick Reply: Clutch job in Socal?