Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch job in Socal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009 | 02:19 PM
CaptainGSR
Rennlist Member

Question Clutch job in Socal?

I just got off the phone with Arredondo Motorsports: around $3000 for SACHS, as expected.
Any other recommendations?
The closer to South Bay the better. I don't mind driving no more than an hour for a good trusted place.

Unless of course, somebody with experience is willing to help me out (for as many beers as you want!). I don't want to attempt that one alone.

Cheers,
Old 01-20-2009 | 03:01 PM
travanx
Pro

Peter (626) 321-2736 in Pasadena. I forgot what his shop is called. His rates are good and knows what he is doing. You can also tell him Brandon from Glendale referred you.
Old 01-20-2009 | 03:02 PM
CaptainGSR
Rennlist Member

Angry Don't go to Pacific Porsche.

I just got off the phone with Pacific Porsche: they refused to give me a quote, or any info on anything!

They want $310 to run a diagnostic on the car. Then, they will talk to me!
The advisor would not give me an hourly rate. He told me they charge by the job, not the hour. He would not even give me a rough ballpark figure, nor any advice or help (at all). Not even a price range. He was a total jerk.

He acted as if I had to earn the right to bring my car in! I felt like I was going to have to pass an interview to get my car serviced there. I must have dialed the wrong number, and somehow reached Tony Callas' shop instead! (Except Tony's guys really know what they are talking about!)

I'd rather drive 6 hours north to Carlsen Porsche, than having to ever deal with these scumbags again! Even the guys at Beverly Hills Porsche are friendlier, and much more helpful than that.

This was the final time I ever try to deal with them. I've had enough. Don't go there unless you want to be taken for a ride.
You've been warned!

They don't have much (if any) experience, nor interest in dealing with older cars.
Old 01-20-2009 | 03:06 PM
CaptainGSR
Rennlist Member

Peter (626) 321-2736 in Pasadena. I forgot what his shop is called. His rates are good and knows what he is doing. You can also tell him Brandon from Glendale referred you.
I'll call him. Thanks.

BTW: the recent night pics of my car were taken at the Ralph parking lot in Glendale. I'll PM you if we do another photoshoot.
Old 01-20-2009 | 03:59 PM
travanx
Pro

I can't imagine finder a cheaper hourly rate mechanic that you would feel comfortable leaving your car with than Peter. His price to do an oil change makes it not worth me doing it myself.

Where do I find the night pics??
Old 01-20-2009 | 04:08 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CaptainGSR
I just got off the phone with Arredondo Motorsports: around $3000 for SACHS, as expected.
Any other recommendations?
The closer to South Bay the better. I don't mind driving no more than an hour for a good trusted place.

Unless of course, somebody with experience is willing to help me out (for as many beers as you want!). I don't want to attempt that one alone.

Cheers,
I trust Art @ Arredondo with my cars. In fact, my 540 is there right now! He's knowledgeable, nice, & honest. 3 traits that I've had a lot of trouble finding when it comes to mechanics in the LA area.
Old 01-20-2009 | 04:16 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Lomita 911, talk to Derek, 310-534-3631, my Mercedes is there right now getting a tranny.

Derek has taken care of cars for me for over 20 years, our 68 912, 80 911SC, 91 300CE and current 96 C2.

Derek was rasied taking care of Porsche 6 cylinder air cooled cars, it is his specialty.

PS, tell him you are a pilot, aviation is one of his fascinations.
Old 01-20-2009 | 04:18 PM
CaptainGSR
Rennlist Member

I posted some night pics on the "new bling thread" page3: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...the-car-3.html

Art seems great. He is on the top of my list at this time. I will call Peter.

I am spending way too much money on cars these days. I am seriously considering doing it Mac Gyver style in my one car garage as usual. At least I'll get to buy more tools and learn a lot in the process.
Old 01-20-2009 | 05:33 PM
dcdude
Drifting

I suspected that Pacific was bad, but not that bad. Business must be good if you can be a dick like that. Seems very consistent with what we've been hearing around the country about the new dealers. Few have interest, less have capability.

In addition to Mike and Kika's recos, as long as you're letting your fingers do the walking, call Hergies, Aase and TRE. PM Philip goofballdeluxe. I think he used a small shop in SaMo for a clutch in his C4S that he was very pleased with. Maybe report back with your findings? We'll all need the data sooner or later.

So should we pencil in next Wed. 1/28 for a Red Car Redux?

Last edited by dcdude; 01-20-2009 at 07:47 PM.
Old 01-20-2009 | 06:23 PM
CaptainGSR
Rennlist Member

So far so good for Wednesday!
Old 01-20-2009 | 06:25 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dcdude68
I suspected that Pacific was bad, but not that bad. Business must be good if you can be a dick like that. Seems very consistent with what we've been hearing around the country about the new dealers. Few have interest, less have capability.

In addition to Mike and Kika's recos, as long as you're letting your fingers do the walking, call Hergies, Aase and TRE. PM Philip goofballdeluxe. I think he used a small shop in SaMo for a clutch in his C4S that he was very pleased with. Maybe report back with your findings? We'll all need the data sooner or later.

So should we pencil in next Wed. 1/28 for a Red Car Redoux?
I'm up for it (as long as I can show up a little late) and I think Art wants to come too... and while we're at it, we should do a DIY day soon. I've got to do a brake flush. Anyone else need company to take care of some small stuff???
Old 01-20-2009 | 06:47 PM
CaptainGSR
Rennlist Member

If I am in town, It's game on for the DIY day.
Old 01-20-2009 | 09:40 PM
vicrossi
Advanced

Dutch Treat in Lawndale did mine. Rob the owner is a real good honest dude.
Old 01-20-2009 | 10:45 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

That number (626) 321-2736 is for Peter formerly of Scientific Automotive.

RUN DO NOT WALK TO HAVE YOUR CLUTCH DONE BY HIM. He is very very good.

PM me for more information.
Old 01-20-2009 | 10:55 PM
travanx
Pro

FGL28, was I think who originally gave me a list of numbers to call in Pasadena. For some reason Peter was the only guy who picked up. I am very curious as to how much he charges for a clutch. I don't want to call him because I will be tempted to do the everything while doing a clutch job.

Quick Reply: Clutch job in Socal?