993 Forum 1995-1998

Top Repair/Adjustment--Orange County, CA

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 03:21 PM
civerson4
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Top Repair/Adjustment--Orange County, CA

About 1 week ago, a small tear appeared in my cab top just above and in front of the rear window (based on some searches here, this appears to be "semi-common").

Anyway, fast forward 1 week and my wife is driving the car. She tries to open the top and it opens about 6-12 inches and stops. Of course, I am out of town on business and she drives home with her hand out the driver's side window holding the top down (not a happy camper--but at least she did the right thing, and it is only about a 2 miles drive).

This morning I checked the fuse and it was blown. I replaced the fuse and then looked at the cab top motors behind the rear seat (thanks pcar.com for the instructions). All looked well and the motors seemed to be securely mounted.

I then attempted to lower the top and about the point where the fuse apparently blew, the top mechanism seemed to start "groaning" and definately did not sound right. I stopped the top lowering and it went right back down (apparently correctly) and the top is secure now (in the up position).

Can anyone recommend someone to look at the top adjustment (and potentially purchase a new top). I have a recommendations for Mikes' Tops in Mission Viejo and Costa Mesa Auto Upholstery. Any other ideas?
Old 01-17-2009, 05:06 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Chad:

On my cabs I always use 1 hand to press the switch and 1 hand to push on the top to help it up past that "groaning" point. My mechanic told me to do this ever since I had an 89 cab. Now I know it shouldn't be this way, but I bet most cab owners do this. At the point where your top got stuck is the highest stress point for the motors. Also when the top is going down I also catctch it at about 6 inches before it closes. This will also help to keep the cables taught and not stretch them out. Have you tried to open the top with the helping hand method? YMMV

Mike
Old 01-17-2009, 06:34 PM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine did a similar thing although didn't blow the fuse. I converted to manual, then a short time back dug in to figure out what the problem was. Turns out mine was the transmissions in the side (under the carpet, behind the rear speakers) were loose.... I just tightened those bolts and it all started working again. Once I got it working, I immediately converted back to manual so hopefully if I ever do sell it, I'll be able to change to automatic and have a working systsem to sell.

Mind also made a groaning sound when it got stuck... I assume it was just all in a bind w/ the transmissions loose and put a lot of strain on the motor. Good luck!
Old 01-17-2009, 07:58 PM
civerson4
Rennlist Member

I'm pretty careful lowering/raising the top (and use the hand method). Just tried it again and it opened a little farther (roof was at a 45% angle to the ground), but the groaning/straining starting getting a little too much for my comfort level. I'll check the side transmissions and hopefully that is the fix. Thanks.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:23 PM
civerson4
Rennlist Member

Well.....not good news.

I checked the transmission mountings (all were fine). The only thing I found on the frame was a slightly loose hex bolt (that I tightened a little bit--but certainly did not overtighten). I then tried lowering the top again and was greeted with a big POP and then no more movement. Something on the passenger side is definately broken. I was able to push the top down to the windshield by hand (it had only moved a few inches when the snap occured) and locked it with the switch.

The fabric is now a little "looser" on the passenger side (where the pop occured) near the rear window. Either the transmission froze or the cable snapped (or both).

Back to square one...Any rec's on a top shop in OC would be appreciated.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:43 PM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about that. No recommendations out on the West coast for you, but I wish you luck. Mine's gonna go for a new top soon too as I poked 4 nice holes in mine a few weeks ago.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:25 PM
User 121721
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Civerson,
I just had the same problem! Fortunately, I know a guy in the OC who really knows his stuff. He fixed my top for a really reasonable price, and is very fast. His name is Russ, he owns John's Foreign Car Service in Laguna Niguel. Seriously, he's the best mechanic I've ever seen -- aside from Robin of course. 888-462-7278. No affiliation other than being a very satisfied customer. Mention my name if you want, he's recently worked on my X5 as well.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:33 PM
mnmasotto
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your 993 Conv.

I strongly recommend Pete Engel (owner) at Westminster Auto Upholstery in Anaheim, CA. There phone number is 714-632-5050. He has completely redone the interior in my 1987 Carrera and did a amazing job. Trust me I am not easy to please! He has done Ferrari and Porsche exclusively for the past 30 years. He pretty much does all the work himself because he is too compulsive to let anyone do it! I live in Irvine, CA. He is about 15 miles from me. I have seen him do many 911 convertibles. You can call me if you have any questions. Not affiliated just a happy customer.

Mark
949-244-0991
Old 01-18-2009, 03:48 PM
civerson4
Rennlist Member

mnmasotto--PM Sent

Quick Reply: Top Repair/Adjustment--Orange County, CA