993 Forum 1995-1998

Help with engine carrier removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 06:38 PM
mike993c2s
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with engine carrier removal

I am planning on reinforcing the engine carrier with the Rennline kit, and replace the stock engine mounts at the same time (haven't decided on RS vs Wevos yet). Anyway, I want to get an idea as to how much time and effort it would take to remove the engine carrier. I have done a search on this forum and have found differing opinions. Some say the cat has to be removed, others say no.

I would like to hear from the folks who have done this same mod on the engine carrier, and hopefully give me a step by step guide. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:27 PM
Rick J.
Intermediate

The easiest way to get it out is to remove the cats. Once you get them out you can lower the engine pretty far to gain easy access. As far as reinforcing, thats on you. We always hit up the scrap metal pile and start welding. I personally have never seen a kit to comment on it's effectiveness.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:31 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Yep, just have to remove the cat and the aft engine tin, plus the heater manifold above the cat. Very doable with the engine insitu.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:48 PM
mike993c2s
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys. I guess there is no way around it.... the cat has to come out.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:34 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cat out is easy .. was time consuming for me as I took photos of each bolt, fastener etc as I took it out.

I suggest you reassemble using copper grease on all contact points. Easy out for later.

Good luck
Old 04-18-2011, 07:09 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
Yep, just have to remove the cat and the aft engine tin, plus the heater manifold above the cat. Very doable with the engine insitu.
To access the two cap screws that hold both the tin and the manifold near the centre of the carrier (circled in photo), is access easier by removing the bumper? There is so little room to rotate a ratchet back there between the chassis and the alternator, etc.

thanks
Paul

Last edited by Paul902; 04-18-2011 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Photo didn't show up
Old 04-19-2011, 01:17 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

It can be done with the rear bumper cover in place. Would be easier without. however. Just another 30 minutes of work.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:34 AM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Appreciated. Thanks, Chris.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:18 AM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul902
Appreciated. Thanks, Chris.
the rennline gusset kit once welded into place made access to the two nuts that hold the coil carrier in place "very interesting".

tight tight tight tolerances, doable, but did i mention tight, (as in very little space to fit the nuts in place and then tighten them)?

i recommend that you bolt the coils in place if possible BEFORE installing the engine carrier.

just had this experience with flatsixforme's recent re-installation.

have fun

Craig
Old 04-19-2011, 01:42 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Thanks. I've actually just been in contact with Rennline about this issue since reading of it on another thread here. They have an update in the works to make access a bit easier. There is not a huge amount of room even without the gusset, though.

Originally Posted by cgfen
the rennline gusset kit once welded into place made access to the two nuts that hold the coil carrier in place "very interesting".

tight tight tight tolerances, doable, but did i mention tight, (as in very little space to fit the nuts in place and then tighten them)?

i recommend that you bolt the coils in place if possible BEFORE installing the engine carrier.

have fun

Craig
Old 04-19-2011, 01:57 PM
flatsixforme
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen

have fun

Craig
As Craig said, it is tight but very doable...I had the old version of the gusset and let Craig get the nuts started and then I went at them with a "mini" wrench...took me less than 10 minutes to get them but I think it might be impossible with a regular sized wrench...maybe a small crows foot would work as well. What helped was that my hands weren't cramped from getting the nuts started since Criag did that. One good tip that Craig did was to stuff something in the holes so the nuts don't fall down into the gusset kit if you drop one.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:13 AM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Ugh! A few hours later I have the bumper cover off but it has not afforded me better access. Found lots of dust though! Tried using a short box end around a 6mm Allen key but cannot get enough torque to budge them (still working inside the confines of the engine bay). Might try drilling them out from below. ATR911 is looking for some other tools for me, too. Beginning to wonder if it is worth it....would it have been too much trouble to tap the carrier such that these bolts could be accessed from below like the others!

Rant over. Thanks for the tips, Adam. Will be useful when I get there.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:18 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

The two bolts pictured above are the biggest part of the job.
If ever water is sprinkled in the engine bay, it will settle on these two bolts.
I would spray WD40 over them and wipe with cloth, respray WD40 and wait, then try to unbolt. If this doesn't work, as it happened to me once, you have to use these little suckers, and the bolt will come out in three seconds.
One of the bolts top broke in my case, I drilled the bolt core out later when everything was out. New bolts and copper anti-seize after. good luck
Attached Images  
Old 04-20-2011, 09:22 AM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Hi George,

I soaked the bolts with LiquidWrench before calling it a night. I'll have another go at them tomorrow. I've got a set like that at the ready. Right now I am still getting good bite with the allen key, just not getting any rotation!
Old 04-20-2011, 01:17 PM
Gunter
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by geolab
The two bolts pictured above are the biggest part of the job.
If ever water is sprinkled in the engine bay, it will settle on these two bolts.
I would spray WD40 over them and wipe with cloth, respray WD40 and wait, then try to unbolt. If this doesn't work, as it happened to me once, you have to use these little suckers, and the bolt will come out in three seconds.
One of the bolts top broke in my case, I drilled the bolt core out later when everything was out. New bolts and copper anti-seize after. good luck
For reference:

WD-40 is just a light lubricant and NOT a penetrating oil.
WD-40 doesn't have ingredients to allow it to "creep" like a true penetrating oil, i.e., Liquid Wrench, Moov-it, Kroil, etc.

Best results would be to let it soak into the threads as well as under the contact points of bolts & nuts.

Quick Reply: Help with engine carrier removal