HARD TOP 993

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 12:57 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Thumbs up

HT-- Thanks for the update! We're lucky you've shared your info & photos on such a rare factory accessory.
Great to see it enjoyed so much, as it was designed for

From RLer Piers4954's "993 HARDTOP" thread:
Originally Posted by curve lover
HT993-- Regarding the below-referenced thread, please respond with update on your factory 993 hardtop (here or there).

Piers4954-- If you haven't seen it yet, you may find some helpful info in the 4-page RL "HARD TOP 993" thread.

Its closing post:
Originally Posted by nile13
What surprised me is that Mike (Arena993) was discussing putting his clam cover on the car. Mike, if you're reading this, could you comment?
Old 09-27-2009, 01:07 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
I said it before, but I really do not understand how this cover can possibly work on a 993 with folded soft roof. The roof does nto sit fluch with the damn rear deck!
Originally Posted by HT993
You're right. The soft top needs to be completely removed, and this cover just sits on the back, providing a clean line and nice curves. There's no space for the soft top beneath the cover.

I spoke with Domnique Moris about his fibreglass products before finding the original hardtop I posted about a little while ago. He knows his stuff, and was very helpful.
HT-- Appreciate you going to the source for clarification.
As suspected: versus the factory's Speedster clamshell humps or similar, apparently no advantage to the following part sold by D. Morris...

Old 09-27-2009, 05:30 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, that lift is a serious unit!

Here is what we use for the SL (pardon all the background stuff in the pictures...):

You can see the red crank handle in the background. Nice simple system with 2" wide nylon straps and padded clips. About $165 or so...

Cheers!
Old 08-27-2010, 03:49 PM
joknrok
4th Gear

Cool I HAVE ONE FOR SALE!

My friend sold his 993 cab and I'm selling the hard top for him.
From what I understand it is a factory part, but I haven't opened the crate yet, so we'll just cross our fingers. I'll probably get the crate opened up and get pictures this weekend. Haven't figured out a price yet, but I'm open to reasonable offers. Email me if interested: joknrok at yahoo dot com.
I'll probably put it up on ebay eventually, but it would be nice to see it go to a proper enthusiast.
BTW I'm in San Diego so if anyone's seriously interested and in the area feel free to come check it out.
EDIT: OK, I opened it. It's not steel, no rear quarter windows = not factory. Same one as on the Strosek cars you see through a google search. It does have a Sekurit glass window. I'll post pics later today.

Last edited by joknrok; 08-28-2010 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Update
Old 08-27-2010, 03:58 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by joknrok
My friend sold his 993 cab and I'm selling the hard top for him.
From what I understand it is a factory part, but I haven't opened the crate yet, so we'll just cross our fingers. I'll probably get the crate opened up and get pictures this weekend. Haven't figured out a price yet, but I'm open to reasonable offers. Email me if interested: joknrok at yahoo dot com.
I'll probably put it up on ebay eventually, but it would be nice to see it go to a proper enthusiast.
BTW I'm in San Diego so if anyone's seriously interested and in the area feel free to come check it out.
Would love to see that. Didn't think the factory made a hard top for our 993's. Common on the 996's though.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:04 PM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

joknrok -

I am interested, if price is reasonable.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:19 PM
joknrok
4th Gear

OK, here's the hardtop: It's a Strosek part as far as I can judge. There are no part #'s or markings anywhere except the glass. What do you guys think? So far the only price I've heard of is in the 8,000 Euros range (new)

It's composite (fiberglass?), Sekurit heated glass window, no headliner, very high quality seals and hardware.
If anyone has any more specific info on this model of top, and a general idea on it's value I'd love to hear it.
Thanks
Old 08-30-2010, 09:18 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 93 Posts

I like the OEM look better.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:49 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I got excited for a moment. I thought it was the rare OEM version.

The Strosek is more common to find and it doesn't have the quarter panel window as the OEM version.

FWIW, I've seen them on ebay in the $2k-$3K range, but not sure if they are on the condition this one is.

As a reference, these guys out of Florida make an aftermarket hardtop for $2,900 new.
http://www.worldclassexotics.com/Rem...%20Hardtop.htm (no affiliation nor I've seen their tops)

Last edited by cabrio993; 08-30-2010 at 10:04 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:03 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Not my favorite look either. Trailing lines seem all wrong IMO prob because it has to fit over the existing cabtop (or does this have to be removed?). But it does offer some nice benefits in areas that experience rough winters and it does provide some additional security.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:48 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Jaeger,

Sorry this is OT.

Ive been trying to PM you but cannot do so. Could you PM me? I understand you had your rear hubs machined before you mounted your new 19" wheels. I would like to win 5mm or more for clearance on my rear wheels. I need to know if its a difficult process and costly for labour (i.e. do the hubsneed removing first etc). Also how much material can be safely removed? Please can you advise?

Thanks
M
Old 04-24-2018, 03:40 PM
EA67
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, Sorry to bump up an old thread.

Its been a while i wasn't active here but i though id come back with something very rare! i luckily have a 993 hardtop available that was removed from a car that was sold here in Kuwait, i would like the help to know how much is this thing worth now before listing it for sale.

i have many pics and details with the vin number the car came in and the code which shows the hardtop. There is also a Porsche tag with a few digits on but i cant find the part number location.

BTW its a speed yellow color and i don't have the locking mechanism latch with it.

TIA

Ebraheem
Old 04-24-2018, 05:16 PM
jskylarwilson
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 34 Posts

No affiliation https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F332629438651
Old 04-24-2018, 05:54 PM
gavonder
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by EA67
Hi, Sorry to bump up an old thread.

Its been a while i wasn't active here but i though id come back with something very rare! i luckily have a 993 hardtop available that was removed from a car that was sold here in Kuwait, i would like the help to know how much is this thing worth now before listing it for sale.

i have many pics and details with the vin number the car came in and the code which shows the hardtop. There is also a Porsche tag with a few digits on but i cant find the part number location.

BTW its a speed yellow color and i don't have the locking mechanism latch with it.

TIA

Ebraheem
Hi, Im not interested in buying it, as I have a Targa, but would love to see pictures of it if you can upload some.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:09 AM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a good one:

http://www.dmoris-styling.com/hardto...--photos-.html

Quick Reply: HARD TOP 993