Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Has anyone regreted changing to the LWF?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 06:23 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=TheOtherEric;6171616]I've wondered if there isn't a simpler zero-tool way of checking for vacuum leaks.QUOTE]

I used my mitivac.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:53 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

IMHO, there are two effective way to detect and source vacuum leaks in an intake system: using a smoke machine made expressly for this purpose or judicious use of carb cleaner introduced at any juncture, hose, or connection in the intake system. This latter method requires some experience to get effective results.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:06 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Steve, while we have you here... Do you think that bumping idle speed or some remapping of ECU around the idle would be able to aleviate the stalling issue? Or is this futile? I understand that vacuum check and leak repairs come first.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:33 PM
nsully
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I recently installed a LWF in my 97. No stalling issues, and much better drivability.
The quick throttle response simplifies starts. I would not go back.
At the same time, so I don't really know if this had a specific effect on the LWF, I had my ECU remapped by Steve W. My car feels like it has a significant power increase through every gear. Good clean fun! This is a combination that I can fully recommend. I would urge anyone with a 97/98 to consider this upgrade.
Neil
Old 01-13-2009, 12:15 AM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by nile13
Steve, while we have you here... Do you think that bumping idle speed or some remapping of ECU around the idle would be able to aleviate the stalling issue? Or is this futile? I understand that vacuum check and leak repairs come first.
Both changes certainly do help, but none of these measures makes the '95 cars absolutely perfectly well behaved. There are simply too many different variables at work.

In my experience, applying all of these measures (preceded by the engine mechanicals), combined with a driver technique change, makes the LWF livable and enjoyable for those individuals wishing for a more lively engine and snappier throttle response.

I'd be the first to tell a prospective customer that this modification is not for everyone (and I do!). I've had to remove 2 of them when a spouse couldn't get the hang of it, but I've also had several 95's that were perfectly well mannered with LWF kit installed and no stalling issues.

The OBD-II cars ('96-'98) have been seamless unless there were resident issues.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:18 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

The next question that comes to mind - how hard would it be to convert to OBD2? The recall harness, supposedly, is th same and that's what most of us already have in the car. Putting OBD2 ECU in... what signals would it be missing? Varioram comes to mind. It could possibly be fooled by some constant signal. Anything else? Immobilizer could make it a non-starter.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:46 AM
RL Technical Advisor

The next question that comes to mind - how hard would it be to convert to OBD2? The recall harness, supposedly, is th same and that's what most of us already have in the car. Putting OBD2 ECU in... what signals would it be missing? Varioram comes to mind. It could possibly be fooled by some constant signal. Anything else? Immobilizer could make it a non-starter.
Converting an OBD-I car to a fully functional OBD-II one is NOT for the faint of heart or wallet.

Its not a small job since the whole car's harness & ECU is different as well as all the different things that are monitored.

That said, its doable provided that someone has sufficient resources to do everything properly.

Last edited by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems; 01-13-2009 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:40 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I had my chip tuned to bump idle up. At 1050 to 1100 rpm, I don't think it ever stalled but an idle that high is *annoying*! No way. So bring it back down to an acceptable level like 950 like I did, and your stalling comes back every so often.

Unlike some, I didn't notice a huge performance difference when I installed the LWFW. I don't see why all the excitement, honestly. But I'd still probably do it again unless it was a pure street car.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:59 PM
mcpiaseczny
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Unlike some, I didn't notice a huge performance difference when I installed the LWFW. I don't see why all the excitement, honestly. But I'd still probably do it again unless it was a pure street car.
I completely agree. Has anyone measured torque/hp at the wheels before and after a LWF conversion?

I believe that nearly all of the benefit is in improved shift times, and there is practically no improvement in actual car acceleration aside from that.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:45 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 789 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by mcpiaseczny
I completely agree. Has anyone measured torque/hp at the wheels before and after a LWF conversion?

I believe that nearly all of the benefit is in improved shift times, and there is practically no improvement in actual car acceleration aside from that.
My wrench, who is an accomplished SCCA racer "thinks" that it is worth 1/2 second a lap on the track. It is "unsprung weight" so it really isn't any different than using light wheels, tires, etc..
Old 01-13-2009, 02:27 PM
mcpiaseczny
Racer

Originally Posted by fast_freddy
My wrench, who is an accomplished SCCA racer "thinks" that it is worth 1/2 second a lap on the track. It is "unsprung weight" so it really isn't any different than using light wheels, tires, etc..
The flywheel is sprung weight. Unsprung weight refers to the bits of the car between the road and up to and including the suspension - basically, all of the things that move when you hit a speed bump. Mass in that area affects a cars handling because it decreases the rate at which those parts (specifically the wheels+tires) can move and adapt to the road.

I don't have the math in front of me but I could be convinced that between the reduced mass and quicker shifts a LWF is worth a 1/2 second on a given track. I just don't think there is enough of a difference there to be noticeable to the driver while accelerating.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:46 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

What your wrench meant to say is that LWF has less rotational inertia, which (along with the car's mass) resists your car accelerating. Compare this to the rest of your rotational inertia (i.e. rotors, wheels, etc.) and I bet you'll find it's pretty small. 1/2 second a lap? I'd be really surprised. I'd guess maybe .1 or .2, but that's just a guess based on how different it feels to me.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:00 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 789 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by mcpiaseczny
The flywheel is sprung weight. Unsprung weight refers to the bits of the car between the road and up to and including the suspension - basically, all of the things that move when you hit a speed bump. Mass in that area affects a cars handling because it decreases the rate at which those parts (specifically the wheels+tires) can move and adapt to the road.

I don't have the math in front of me but I could be convinced that between the reduced mass and quicker shifts a LWF is worth a 1/2 second on a given track. I just don't think there is enough of a difference there to be noticeable to the driver while accelerating.
Technically, you are correct (yes were are speaking technically, I know that). Perhaps a better analogy/term would have been appropriate. Being a former competitive cyclist we were always concerned with the mass that rotated and tried to reduce that weight. The weight of the frame, seat, handlebars, brakes, etc. were insignificant relative to the weight you rotated such as the wheels, pedals, cranks, cogset, chain, etc. I'm sort of extrapolating those applications and benefits of a bicycle into a car.The flywheel is a drag on power, plain and simple. The parasitic effects exist, just like the A/C, drivetrain, etc. Really no different than the ill effects of heavy wheels.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:10 PM
mcpiaseczny
Racer

Technically, you are correct (yes were are speaking technically, I know that). Perhaps a better analogy/term would have been appropriate. Being a former competitive cyclist we were always concerned with the mass that rotated and tried to reduce that weight. The weight of the frame, seat, handlebars, brakes, etc. were insignificant relative to the weight you rotated such as the wheels, pedals, cranks, cogset, chain, etc. I'm sort of extrapolating those applications and benefits of a bicycle into a car.The flywheel is a drag on power, plain and simple. The parasitic effects exist, just like the A/C, drivetrain, etc. Really no different than the ill effects of heavy wheels.
I totally agree, but I doubt that on cars the effect of a LWF is that drastic, hence I'm curious about whether anyone has measured the torque or hp delta with anything other than their gut or butt
Old 01-13-2009, 06:10 PM
964sepp
Track Day

to make it clear: a LWF has no influence on power or torque, it just reduces the (rotatory) mass, the engine has to accellerate. Lighter wheels will show the same effect

Quick Reply: Has anyone regreted changing to the LWF?