Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^ I'd opt for a comfortable animal.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:40 PM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

We installed the RS mounts in my son's 964 today.

There is a definate improvement to shifting and the car feels stiffer and more solid. It drives very nicely. There do not seem to be any new rattles or increased noise. However the car is a little loud as the sound deadening foam from the engine compartment is long gone, along with the secondary muffler.

We drove the car about 15 miles over a variety of road surfaces. The only 'new' sound was driving over a brick road which caused the car to resonate. I'm tempted to drive my 993 over the same road before changing my mounts, just to see if there is any change once I switch them.

We used a bicycle parts scale to weigh each set (including all hardware and fasteners).
The stock mounts weighed in at 2.61 kg. The RS mounts weighed 1.59 kg, a nice 1.02 kg weight loss for his car.

Better yet, the Wevos weigh 0.97 kg

We considered trying both sets in his car but it's not going to happen. The job took us about 3 hours as there was some tinware that had to be removed and the right mount would not come out without unbolting the AC compressor motor.

The engine carrier did not show any signs of cracks and we left it alone.

Overall I consider this project to be a great improvement and I'm very happy that we did it. It was also a good reason to buy a nice floor jack.

I'll post again once the Wevos are in place.

The stock mounts dwarf the RS mounts:
Attached Images      

Last edited by 993James993; 01-10-2009 at 10:17 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:39 PM
bpras@msn.com
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put the Wevo blue pillows on my 92 964 a couple of weeks ago. It is stock and has the engine sound pad. The car has more noise/vibration now, most noticeable on rough roads. On smooth roads it is barely noticeable. I am used to the older 911s and like the new feel. The RS mounts might be a better choice for an everyday driver, they look like they have more rubber to isolate vibration.

The job took about 45 minutes, did not have to take any tin off, you need to have a coupe of long extensions to reach the bottom nuts. My car had tin with access holes to reach the bottom bolt. I hit all the bolts/nuts with WD-40 about 3 days prior to the job, no issue getting them off.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:04 PM
mike993c2s
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the write-up so far. I've been reading this thread with great interest as I'm considering the same upgrade for my car (RS vs Wevo). I'm going to wait and see what you think of the Wevos.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:03 PM
993James993
Burning Brakes

I'll try to post as soon as possible regarding the Wevos. I'm in Fort McMurray this week for work and I still have to figure out how to remove my engine tray. I'm hoping to install them this weekend or next at the latest.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:16 PM
mike993c2s
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 993James993
I'll try to post as soon as possible regarding the Wevos. I'm in Fort McMurray this week for work and I still have to figure out how to remove my engine tray. I'm hoping to install them this weekend or next at the latest.
I just posted another thread asking for help on removing the engine carrier (hope this is what you were referring to). Hopefully, some of the experts will chime in soon.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:25 PM
993James993
Burning Brakes

I finally had time today to install the Wevos!

First job was to remove the engine tray. This was much easier than I expected. I undid the fasteners, then used the floor jack to lift the driver's side and the tray just slid right out.

My son and I worked together and removing the old mounts was both easier and harder than I expected. We did the driver's side first and had a very hard time removing the old mount. All of the hardware came loose without issue but the mount would not clear the metal tube that houses the hood release cable. It probably took us 20 minutes to finally pull it out. The photo shows some scratches that I put into the paint trying to extract the mount. The passenger side mount was much easier and I was able to remove it without unbolting the AC compressor.

While we were "in there" we decided to clean the ISV. As the photo demonstrates, this was long overdue.

After everything was back together we took the car for a long drive.

I immeadiately noticed a difference when I put the car into reverse to back out of the driveway. It went into gear right away without any resistance. Overall, the car now seems tighter, firmer and stiffer. It's a very nice improvement over the old mounts. The ride is not harsher, just more in touch with the road. Shifting seems easier than before, without any resistance or trouble finding the right gear.

Noise wise, the car is significantly louder, but I attribute this more to the absense of the engine tray than to the motor mounts. The increased sound level is pleasant and not distracting. I like it.

I should point out that my son's 964-with a G-pipe to replace the secondary muffler, and no engine sound pad-is alot louder. I like the sound of his car alot.

Cleaning the ISV was a good idea. I have a lightweight flywheel and I noticed an improvement in how the the idle responded as I stopped the car. My car is a '95 and it has sometimes stalled in the past so I am anxious to see if this makes any difference.

Overall, I like the new Wevos much better than my old mounts. And I like them better than the RS mounts that my son chose for his 964. If I were to order them again I would probably get the stiffer blue pillows. I think this was a great DIY project. I am very happy with the mounts and I recommend them.

I ordered all new fastners and did not reuse the old ones.

The Wevos do have a drain, just like the RS mounts.

The photos show the exhaust tips before and after, the new larger nut, both new mounts and the dirty ISV.
Attached Images       

Quick Reply: Another engine mount thread.....