1998 C2S ICV Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 02:02 PM
captain911
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 1998 C2S ICV Cleaning

Hello Folks,

Just wondering if someone could briefly walk me through this procedure. I have seached the net but wanted to make sure I do this properly. Maybe this is the wrong time to begin working on 911s. I never worked on any of the previous 3 I owned but it sounds like this is faily easy.

Thanks for your assistance with this posting and my prior posts. Happy New Year to all and continued "safe" driving!

Tim
Old 01-07-2009, 02:28 PM
Sooner
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Here you go...Lot's of other info here as well. Happy reading.

http://p-car.com/diy/isv/
Old 01-07-2009, 02:51 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The hardest thing about the ISV cleaning is getting the back clamp off. There is no way this is installed when the engine is in the car. When you put it back on make sure you put the nut of the clamp in an easily accessible area for next time. I clean my ISV every time the oil is changed. Very easy DIY.

Mike
Old 01-07-2009, 03:45 PM
99three
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Simple DIY. GL and keep us posted.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:54 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Arena993
The hardest thing about the ISV cleaning is getting the back clamp off. There is no way this is installed when the engine is in the car. When you put it back on make sure you put the nut of the clamp in an easily accessible area for next time. I clean my ISV every time the oil is changed. Very easy DIY.

Mike
In answer to another thread as well 'what is your fav P tool' here it is, and not just for ISV, MAF etc
Attached Images  
Old 01-08-2009, 01:27 PM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by geolab
In answer to another thread as well 'what is your fav P tool' here it is, and not just for ISV, MAF etc
He speaks the truth. I pulled the ISV on my '96 a few years back... what a nightmare. The flexible driver is the only way to get at that back hose clamp.

Cleaning made a huge difference though, so go for it!!

And join Rennlist while you're at it... you won't regret it.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:32 PM
davesnothere
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Flexi-drivers rule

This is funny, I just used a flexi-driver last night to replace my air filter. It was the only way I could get to the hose clamp.

The right tools really make all the difference. Usually if I'm struggling with something, I'll stop and think, "1) Am I doing it right and 2) Am I using the right tool." Invariably, one of those answers is "no".

- Dave
Old 01-08-2009, 03:07 PM
captain911
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for all the assistance. Just joined.

Best wishes.

Tim
Old 04-27-2010, 03:08 PM
Archilla
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys,
I just pulled the ISV for cleaning last night (first time for me). During the process of removing the rubber hoses from the ISV, a fair amount of rubber dust/debris was created and the inside of the hose leading forward from the ISV (I assume this goes to the intake airflow just past the MAF sensor) is pretty dirty. How much do I need to worry about cleaning this junk out (i.e. removing the hose and flushing)?
Thanks,
-Ruben
Old 04-27-2010, 11:31 PM
Renaud Bizet
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello,

I am about to do this on my 95 as well and while I was doing my research I felt that the P-car DIY was missing some pictures for me. I hope it is OK to point to a DIY from another Porsche forum (FWIW I never visited that forum before, but came across that DIY through my search).
Detailed procedure with extensive pictures:
http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=48841

Hope this helps.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:43 AM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts

another good set of pics/instructions is jackals racetrack.
http://www.jackals-forge.com/lotus/

I cleaned the ISV last month and found it easy to remove with the flex shaft nut drivers.
when installing, put a little vaseline, 303 or dish soap on the inside of the rubber mount before sliding the ISV back into place, this will allow you to move it around some in the rubber gasket.
to connect the rear hose, tilt the ISV so the rear pipe points up about 45 degrees and wedges against the rear rubber hose. smear some more 303 on the inside of the rubber hose and hold the hose and pipe together as you turn the ISV back down. the hose will be pressed back onto the ISV pipe.
removal took 10 minutes, install took 10 minutes, cleaning with spray carb cleaner took an hour.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:12 PM
Archilla
Rennlist Member

I ended up taking the rear hose off the intake and cleaning it out as well. It was pretty filthy inside. I did my best to clean inside the fitting on the intake as well, but it is hard to get in there. What I found worked really well for cleaning the ISV was Hoppes and my pistol cleaning supplies (plastic dental picks and cotton squares). Rinsed everything out with brake cleaner after the Hoppes loosened everything up.
-Ruben
Old 04-30-2010, 10:12 AM
the_rossatron
8th Gear

Mine is currently soaking in thinners just now... one thing is that most of the write up you see for this are for Varioram models. Mine is pre-varioram and seemed to be a little easier as access is a bit better.

Quick Reply: 1998 C2S ICV Cleaning