993 Forum 1995-1998

DIY - 993 Transmission Drop & LWF

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 12:31 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think photos will help you much. The hardest parts of this job are things you cannot see and just have to feel. That upper starter bolt was the most miserable SOB I've ever tackled on a car. This job is quickly eclipsing my plug wires R&R as the most ridiculously unnecessarily difficult thing I've done on a 993. I may be going back to SC's or Carerras after this. Holy f*cking gawd is this a b!tch. I want to kill people now. Anyway, everything's off but the bell housing, which I'm pulling as soon as I finish this glass of bourbon. I'll have some photos tomorrow or very late tonight.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:02 AM
CaptainGSR
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just curious how you got the car up in a one car garage, and how much room you have on each side of it.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:54 AM
JM993
Banned

Originally Posted by Rick Lee
I don't think photos will help you much. The hardest parts of this job are things you cannot see and just have to feel. That upper starter bolt was the most miserable SOB I've ever tackled on a car. This job is quickly eclipsing my plug wires R&R as the most ridiculously unnecessarily difficult thing I've done on a 993. I may be going back to SC's or Carerras after this. Holy f*cking gawd is this a b!tch. I want to kill people now. Anyway, everything's off but the bell housing, which I'm pulling as soon as I finish this glass of bourbon. I'll have some photos tomorrow or very late tonight.
It's a lot more pleasant job with a lift To get to the upper starter bolt, it's a heck of a lot easier to lower the engine/trans a bit first. The engine mounts have lots of threads which will allow the engine to be lowered a decent amount.

Cheers,
Joe
Old 11-29-2009, 01:56 AM
JM993
Banned

Originally Posted by CaptainGSR
OMG! Please take pictures of how you are doing this. I am in the same boat with my small garage!
Do a search for Toga's DIY engine removal. Lot's of good info/pics there.

Cheers,
Joe
Old 11-29-2009, 02:14 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Done! Tranny is out and in my big garage now. Will start the surgery/diagnosis tomorrow. Photos coming in a few minutes.

I actually had my car higher up than it needed to be and it wasn't as high up as in that previous thread. I use Rino Ramps on the front wheels and then jack at the case seam to get some jack stands under the rear jack points. Then it's just a game of trying to get the floor jack higher up and to raise the car enough to put the jack stands on cinder blocks covered by 2x6's. I was pretty pleased with this set up. Car and jack stands didn't budge or groan at all while I was doing this whole job, lowering and raising the floor and tranny jacks. Of course, when working under a car I have lots of redundancies and am never without at least one floor jack at the case seam and usually wheels, ramps and jack stands too. And I don't do this stuff when I'm home alone. Will upload photos now.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:26 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here's my jacking setup. I know some will say it looks hokey, but it was rock solid and I tried to make it all come crashing down before getting under it.

Removing CV bolts. Very straightforward, though I almost rounded one off. Will be buying new bolts for reinstall. Note my SS brake lines I did a few weeks ago.

This is the fork shaft, which came out like butter and looked new after five years and 30k miles. I had a hell of a time finding the hole for that bolt, as it was covered with a plastic cap and I thought the retaining plate hole was the one. What an idiot I am.

Getting ready to start pushing and pulling.

Didn't realize how front-heavy this tranny is. This looked pretty bad for a few minutes while I poked around with a very large screwdriver to push the CV flanges away from the case.

Can you spot the G50/20 in this photo?

I have a one car garage and another two car garage. I'll do the tranny work in the big garage, where all my tools and music are and leave the 993 in the small garage to sleep. Really, really dreading reinstall. I am thoroughly intimidated by this job and it's NOT a one-man job. Learn from my mistake.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:36 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Rick,
AWESOME! Good job. I trust you drained the tranny oil first to lighten the load a bit?

Andreas
Old 11-29-2009, 11:14 AM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Way to go! Even on a lift I found 2 people were needed for the off and on parts.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:36 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Actually, I did not drain the gear oil before doing this job. I figured the weight savings was negligible and it'd be a lot easier to do it on my engine stand. Also, I hate that feeling of "no return" and wasn't totally sure I'd be able to complete this job. Having no gear oil in there and none in my garage would have been like burning my ships - no return. Reinstall is definitely gonna be a two-man job. I am so sore now, I just want to lay on the couch all day and complain.

If the problem turns out to be nothing more than a bent shift fork, I may do some mods while I have this all apart. I don't think I can afford to shorten the gears. But I may spring for a high-torque starter and repack my CV's.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:21 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rick Lee
But I may spring for a high-torque starter.

Details?

Andreas
Old 11-29-2009, 02:44 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't know if they make them for 993's, but I have seen them for Carreras and SC's. Can't find it on Pelican's site. IIRC, Vertex had them. Not huge priority though.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:56 PM
CaptainGSR
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the pics Rick. You did exactly what I was thinking about: resting the front on ramps, and using stands for the rear. I was worried about clearance.
I have the same plastic ramps, and HF transmission jack. Although, I'll use the esco stands for the rear.
I am glad to finally see it done that way!
Cheers,
Old 11-27-2010, 05:32 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Now that I have the engine and tranny out I'm using this thread for the clutch replacement.

Outstanding pics and detail. Thanks again guys!
Old 11-28-2010, 12:19 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Now that I have the engine and tranny out I'm using this thread for the clutch replacement.

Outstanding pics and detail. Thanks again guys!
That was a fun DIY!

Andreas
Old 11-28-2010, 12:35 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
That was a fun DIY!

Andreas
Think we could pull this off in my garage?

Quick Reply: DIY - 993 Transmission Drop & LWF