Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

9m93RS Clubsport GT2 look: The day after....

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 01:08 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts
Default 9m93RS Clubsport GT2 look: The day after....

So, left 9m in pristine condition at approximately 15.00 hrs on the Saturday for its 250 mile trip home in the wet fog. Me and Marc followed the owner back down south later on with the 9m tour bus complete with Kermit on the trailer.

After a midnight curry with the owner (thanks Baf,) and only 5 hours sleep we all arrived at Brands Hatch.....
Attached Images      
Old 12-02-2008, 02:13 PM
SA Mike
Thank You
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man it seems like it's always raining in England. Sweet car BTW
Old 12-02-2008, 02:17 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The day was run by by Goldtrack (thanks to all involved for an excellent day) and it culminated with the owner Baf handing the key over to International GT Race Driver Calum Lockie for a "couple of laps, just to see what it's like".

Now Calum in well known for getting bored whilst driving road cars on track, so it was obvious to all that when his lap count ticked past 5, 6, 7... that he was having a bit of fun. At one point he had a "bit of a race" with another GT racer (sorry, can't remember his name) giving experience laps in one of the new Ferrari 430 Scuderia's (500hp?) and took great delight in overtaking him before driving away into the distance. We all watched as 10, 11, 12 laps went by before losing count, the owner revelling in watching his car spit flames on the downshifts and perform broadside power-slides out of Druids. The checkered flag curtailed Calum's entertainment, so we caught up with him after he parked up behind the paddock, seen here chatting to Baf about his complete half hour session in the car.

As he got out it was clear that he had fun from the ear-to-ear grin that almost cut his face in half, so here are some of the comments that came out during the 60 minute debrief:

(to the owner) "I'm sorry, but now I have got to kill you, because I just want to take this car home"

"that's the most fun I have (had in a car) since my first drive of a 993GT2 race car when qualifying it in the wet at Snetterton" (set pole by 2 seconds on minimum boost)

"the car is perfect, the turn-in is better than a 997GT3 and the mid corner grip is phenomenal .... having enough power to powerslide at will on the exit .... what's it got, must be over 400hp?"

"the chassis is great, there is enough compliance to get the weight transfer over the outside wheels and plant it through the bend without it feeling soft, yet it is stiff enough to cope with the available grip"

"just a hint of understeer on the limit, which is perfect for a powerful car as you can push the front all the way through the corner and easily judge your exit point without having to risk sudden oversteer if you have to ease the throttle to stay on line"

"the car's brilliant, but I suppose if you (9m) couldn't build a car like this there would be no hope of anyone else doing it"

and finally

"I actually think I could get the 9m93RS around Brands faster than your (Baf's) Carrera GT, it's so much easier to drive on the limit"

There was a lot more than I can currently remember, suffice to say that Baf was ecstatic about Calum's comments on his new toy and who can blame him? My 9m business partner Marc asked Calum if there was anything on the car that he thought could be improved, to which he replied that he felt the front dampers might be better with a tad more bump, but that's all. Sweet. Our thanks go to Calum for taking the time to have some real fun in a car for once and to Baf for trusting him with it.
Attached Images     
Old 12-02-2008, 04:14 PM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome car.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:29 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats a great car from the sounds of it! I love those fenders
Old 12-02-2008, 06:50 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 981 Likes on 434 Posts

Dirty car ****! Mmmmmmmmm.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:23 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

Thread of the year! LOVE! WANT! I will buy more lottery tickets.....
Old 12-02-2008, 08:30 PM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And really good to see the car get used, not just put away until it's perfect out. They were meant to be driven, that one looks like it will be. As always Colin, great project.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:35 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I should also have mentioned that Calum's passenger for the ride of her life was Baf's friend's cousin's girlfriend. The poor girl threw up after she got out but still managed to smile non-stop for an hour afterwards! I took her boyfriend out in Kermit for the last 10 minutes, neither of them had been in a 911 before so I was not surprised when the lad said nothing all the way round whilst I slithered here and there on a set of Bridgestone SO2's well past their sell-by date. Bit of a shock then when he got out of the car and simply would not shut up about how fast it was with "only" 300hp and how well a 911 puts it's power down out of the bends. Would have liked to be a fly on the wall in their house that night....
Old 12-03-2008, 11:27 PM
wtdoom
Pro

the car performed almost unbelievably well . in my first ever outing i am certain (and in the wet/damp !!) it was quicker than my 997 gt3rs , the only thing that got by me was a cup car (and a race tuned subaru very early on in the noas ark weather, he got wasted later ). the handling (predictability , chassis communication ,mid corner grip and ability to brake /change direction) was truly fantastic !! i almost cant believe it .
as for the noise its to die for !!!!
i really want to thank colin , mark and all the maestros at ninemeister for creating such a masterpiece and my dream come true .
all the way through this build they have been so professional, reassuring , helpful , informative that im (for once ) speechless .
it is impossible to see from pictures alone the obsessive attention to detail, quality of workmanship and pride they have put into this car .
but the cars biggest challenge is saturday . silverstone gp circuit . thats my manor ( im much faster round there than i am at brands indy ). brands indy is small tight and technical , silverstone gp is big and strong so it will be a much greater test of the cars speed, power and acceleration . i am told some big guns are coming to play ....... ill keep you posted colin !
here are a couple more action shots :

i have some vids ill post asap for those that wanted to hear it roar
Old 12-03-2008, 11:46 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Just awesome....

Looking forward to some vid.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:53 AM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

...but the cars biggest challenge is saturday . silverstone gp circuit . thats my manor ( im much faster round there than i am at brands indy ). brands indy is small tight and technical , silverstone gp is big and strong so it will be a much greater test of the cars speed, power and acceleration . i am told some big guns are coming to play ...
I'm thinking MANY leptons per hour by the end of Hanger Straight!
Old 12-04-2008, 12:17 PM
leonardjohnr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's nothing about that car not to love... Man, that thing is great...
Old 12-04-2008, 06:58 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Anyone noticed how the genuine Clubsport RS rear spoiler on this car follows the shape of the wide arch 993 far better than the GT2 spoiler?
Old 12-04-2008, 10:00 PM
herman maire
Racer

The car looks beautiful. I cant wait to see some video.... to hear that its quicker than a 997 GT3 with better chassis feel is impressive to say the least.

Congrats Colin on another great build.

Wtdoom, are you the proud owner?

Quick Reply: 9m93RS Clubsport GT2 look: The day after....