Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 11-25-2008, 08:59 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeMag
Colin, you're brave leaving that distr hole sitting open... Or maybe you took the tape off for pics.

What do the high intake stacks do? Injectors are very high.
The photos were taken during the build, the next part on the list to fit was the dissy and leads so little risk of foreign bodies getting down the hole. As for the high injectors and intake stack, you should get your answer as soon as I post the power graph.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:02 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NineMeister
... you should get your answer as soon as I post the power graph.
I'm thinking the power is going to be "off the chart."

Great job Colin!
Old 11-25-2008, 09:10 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Cheers Rob.

I'm off to get some sleep, got an engine to fit tomorrow.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:49 PM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have GOT to start playing the lottery! That motor would be my first purchase. As always Colin, I am interested to see where this motor ends up power wise. Looks great!
Old 11-25-2008, 10:59 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Glad to see you putting your nice degree wheel to use... Nice isn't it?
Old 11-26-2008, 12:19 AM
JoeMag
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Ok Colin, I'm an engr (at least that's what the couple degrees say)... Look'n for the reason for the result you'll post.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:25 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Too purdy to start much less put oil into. Very nice!!
Old 11-26-2008, 06:02 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
Glad to see you putting your nice degree wheel to use... Nice isn't it?
It's a great tool, real shame to leave it in the drawer when it's not in use. However I must make a mental note to turn up a custom hub with a location pin and then make a rigid pointer to bolt onto the engine case, setting it up to TDC every time I use it is becoming a pain.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:10 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by JoeMag
Ok Colin, I'm an engr (at least that's what the couple degrees say)... Look'n for the reason for the result you'll post.
Buy some engine modelling software, a flowbench, cam measurement gear, a dyno and then spend 8 years trying to understand exactly what you are learning. Next spend around $150k on making the parts that your new knowledge is telling you to make - which at the time to makes you feel like the only (unpopular) salmon swimming upstream. Once you have all the parts made, build the resulting engine and test every cam combination, intake port, exhaust header & injector position known to man. Hopefully then you will have reached a reasonable compromise and have an engine with decent performance...

... but (in my opinion) at least it will probably be the best compromise.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:19 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Picking up from the last installment, here we fit the 9m equal length header (primary) pipes and collectors after bolting on the few remaining ancillary parts to the top of the motor. Nearly there now.
Attached Images     
Old 11-27-2008, 08:33 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Whilst this engine was being built (which was delayed whilst waiting on the arrival of a new batch of 9m billet cylinder heads), in order to meet the customer's required completion date we installed the 4.0 litre engine & box assembly from my 993RS CS into the car which allowed us to do all the necessary road tests and get a new MOT.

As a result of this, my RS was engine less, so because there was still a lot of work to do on the car I decide to fit this engine into my RS so that I could break the engine in and fully map it on the chassis dyno (it's times like this that an engine dyno really would be invaluable). These are the shots of the engine on the jack waiting installation, now fitted with the freshly rebuilt 993RS gearbox and (hidden from view) the twin plate carbon clutch assembly.

It was getting a bit dark in the workshop when the engine went in but I'm sure I can get better quality photos tomorrow when it is finally fitted into its rightful home...
Attached Images       
Old 11-27-2008, 09:02 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Colin, how can you ever top this? No, wait....don't answer that. I don't want to know. ;-)
Old 11-27-2008, 09:19 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

As you can see, the engine was photographed ready to be fitted pretty much at the close of light, not far off going-home time. So do you honestly think that I could resist breaking it in on the dyno and doing a couple of pulls....? There was a snowball's chance in hell that I the engine would not be immediately on the dyno the moment the ITB's had been balanced (food/sleep can always come later) , so here are the dyno results that you have all been waiting for shown against two other similar engines for comparative purposes:

The first comparison is really for Geoffrey's benefit as it reflects some of his current intentions for next year's race engine. The curves show the new engine (132mm long rod, 103 bore, 76.4 stroke, 12.75:1 cr) against an otherwise identical specification engine but with a "conventional" 3.75 litre bottom end (127mm rod, 102 bore, 76.4 stroke, 12:1 cr), this conventional motor being very much like Geoffrey's outgoing race engine. For the record both these engines have 9m billet heads, 9m ITB's, 9m Race cams at the same timing, 9m headers and Motec. The results are corrected to DIN standard so will be a valid comparison.

The second comparison is probably more interesting for all those who firmly believe that an exhaust system does has little effect on the tune of an engine, it being a comparison between my old 993RS 3.82 litre race engine running 993 heat exchangers, bypasses and silencers against the new identical engine on the 9m exhaust. I know which one I would rather drive.....

For the record the new engine posted 439bhp & 465Nm (343lbft) DIN at the flywheel, working out to a peak of 90lbft/litre which although good by all normal standards is some way off the current state of the art race engines which make 100lbft/litre. However, since we are not willing to sit back when there is more to be found, with the new 9m "high lift" valve train components (followers, springs, retainers, cams) I would anticipate that we will get closer to this number with Geoffrey's new engine. The new parts give up to 2mm more valve lift than previously managed which will allow us to exploit the flow capability of the CNC machined ports.

Time for bed again....
Attached Images   
Old 11-27-2008, 09:22 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I think I already answered you, Rob.

Quick Reply: 9m93RS Clubsport GT2 look: Engine