Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RS rear wing advice please!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 10:36 AM
Boston911fan
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know a lot of people don't like the looks of a wing on a cabriolet, but I can go either way with a wing, depending on the wing. I chose the RS wing because I think it goes well with a narrow body and is small enough so you can still see the slope of the engine lid.

Also, I was originally going to buy a 930 Cabriolet with the huge 80s rubber-edged tea tray spoiler and ET tail light. So part of me still wishes I had a 930. Anyway, it's not permanent, and I'll keep my old motorized spoiler if I want to change back.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:59 AM
Boston911fan
Pro

While I do welcome your input on whether or not you like the wing, I still need input on where to put a 3rd brake light. Here are some pics of cabriolets with RS wings. Thanks briefescape for the link to his pics of his white cabriolet and the guy who owns the yellow cabriolet.
Attached Images      
Old 11-23-2008, 11:00 AM
Boston911fan
Pro

And this is what it would look like with the basket handle still attached:
Attached Images  
Old 11-23-2008, 12:01 PM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You know, I agree it's a bit too busy w/ the basket handle AND the wing, but then again, if you want to swap back and forth periodically, unless you get complete decklids for each, when you didn't have the wing, you'd not have a 3rd brake light either.

You might consider leaving the basket handle initially... you can always come back later and replace it with an alternative 3rd light, fill the holes, etc. one you decide how you want to proceed.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:10 PM
sdcabrio
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

IF I added a tail to my cab it would be the RS and I would just ditch the 3rd brake light. Since you're in MA and need the 3rd light, maybe you could work with the OEM 3rd light Porsche used on the '87-'89 cabs. The one for the turbo stood taller than the one for the non-turbo/no-tail cabs. The basket handle and the RS tail together is too busy. I would explore the old style light, maybe you could jerry-rig it to just install for the inspection and then remove immediately after. I suppose you could do that with the plate frame light, too.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:50 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

BTW, 95FL993CAB has a wing on his red cab and he;s selling his car, so I'm sure there are detailed pictures available.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:11 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by sdcabrio
IF I added a tail to my cab it would be the RS and I would just ditch the 3rd brake light. Since you're in MA and need the 3rd light, maybe you could work with the OEM 3rd light Porsche used on the '87-'89 cabs. The one for the turbo stood taller than the one for the non-turbo/no-tail cabs. The basket handle and the RS tail together is too busy. I would explore the old style light, maybe you could jerry-rig it to just install for the inspection and then remove immediately after. I suppose you could do that with the plate frame light, too.
This is what I referred to as the "ET light", a fine example of one of Porsche's less than well thought out solutions.
Attached Images  
Old 11-23-2008, 01:27 PM
Boston911fan
Pro

Originally Posted by sdcabrio
I suppose you could do that with the plate frame light, too.
That's a great idea! That way I wouldn't have to modify an RS wing. However, if I get rear-ended or pulled over without it, that could be a problem. Still though, this is the best solution yet.

Originally Posted by nile13
BTW, 95FL993CAB has a wing on his red cab and he;s selling his car, so I'm sure there are detailed pictures available.
Yes, I know his car and love it! He added the 993TT wing. However, he did not add a third brake light to his. Darn Massachusetts inspections!

Thanks everyone for the great ideas. Keep 'em coming!
Old 11-23-2008, 02:18 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Isn't a plate frame even lower than the brake lights themselves? Check federal and local regs to see what is the minimum height for a third brake light, measured from the existing brake lights. I believe it's called a CHMSL or center, high-mounted stop light because it has to be fairly high.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:21 PM
Boston911fan
Pro

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Isn't a plate frame even lower than the brake lights themselves?
Oh, of course! I don't know why that didn't occur to me before. So I guess the two options are:

1. Have a custom 3rd brake light embedded into the wing. Do I really want to desecrate an RS tail?

2. Jerry-rig a 3rd brake light that could be zip-tied to the grille and easily installed for the inspection and then removed promptly after. I could even use the "guts" of the basket handle. This is the easier solution, but if it were your car, would you feel comfortable driving without a 3rd brake light?
Old 11-24-2008, 01:28 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Boston911fan
Oh, of course! I don't know why that didn't occur to me before. So I guess the two options are:

1. Have a custom 3rd brake light embedded into the wing. Do I really want to desecrate an RS tail?

2. Jerry-rig a 3rd brake light that could be zip-tied to the grille and easily installed for the inspection and then removed promptly after. I could even use the "guts" of the basket handle. This is the easier solution, but if it were your car, would you feel comfortable driving without a 3rd brake light?

If you're going to do something temporary, I would have ET "phone home". Seriously, put the ET light on there via a temporary measure and bring the car to inspection. And, yes, I would not hesitate to run without a third brake light.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:09 PM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're going to do something temporary, I would have ET "phone home". Seriously, put the ET light on there via a temporary measure and bring the car to inspection. And, yes, I would not hesitate to run without a third brake light.
I was initially planning to run w/o one as well since we don't have inspections here in AR, but after considering more, IF you are unlucky enough to be rear-ended, and you have no 3rd light, I wonder if you're opening yourself up to litigation because of it?
Old 11-24-2008, 06:26 PM
Boston911fan
Pro

I was thinking about just using the guts of the basket handle and just zip-tying it directly to the grille--not pretty by any means, but enough to pass inspection. I kinda don't want to spend money on an ET light if I'm just going to use it for one day each year.

Originally Posted by murfysflaw
IF you are unlucky enough to be rear-ended, and you have no 3rd light, I wonder if you're opening yourself up to litigation because of it?
Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. And I live in Boston where we have the rudest drivers. But would you be willing to desecrate an OEM RS spoiler????
Old 11-24-2008, 11:49 PM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[/QUOTE]Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. And I live in Boston where we have the rudest drivers. But would you be willing to desecrate an OEM RS spoiler????[/QUOTE]

You do not to spend big $$$ OEM spoiler , mine is from Ma Shaw which is $750 and a good product .

Cheers Guy
Old 11-25-2008, 12:27 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Boston911fan
...Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. And I live in Boston where we have the rudest drivers. But would you be willing to desecrate an OEM RS spoiler????
IMHO, there's very little reason to buy an OEM RS rear spoiler. MA Shaw's fiberglass spoilers are very well made and from outside appearances looks excellent by any measure. Yes, they're really that good. The same cannot be said for their front splitters, but that's another story.

Quick Reply: RS rear wing advice please!