Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whistling sound form the Heater Blower area.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 05:32 AM
shamrock
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Whistling sound form the Heater Blower area.

For the benefit of the seach cops , I've done one without result!!

I've noticed a new sound these last few weeks , a low 'whistling' sound at between 2-3k revs coming from the engine compartment . Checking the oil yesterday , I could still just about hear it at idle , and I believe it's coming from the heater blower (when I cover the aperature with my hand the sound disappears!) ..
Has anyone else had this before .. Is it the heralding of a blower heading towards the great bearing scrapyard in the sky!!?

Can the unit be opened up for investigation or is there little point as my search suggests the only the complete unit is available if it needs to be replaced? I'd appreciate if anyone had blower diagnostic/DIY info , there's no mention on p.car / workshop that I could find.

ETA , whoops , just seached 'blower' rather than 'heater blower' and have some up with more threads .. Will scan thru these ASAP and report back!
Old 11-21-2008, 10:29 AM
shamrock
Racer

Nope!
Talk of 'squealing' blower motor in other threads, but this is much more a vague whistling sound , most apparent between about 2 and 3k revs..

air leak??
Old 11-21-2008, 11:02 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I bet it is the belt sensor...
Old 11-21-2008, 12:15 PM
VNTGSPD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does it do it with the temp sensor on the CCU turned to full cold? I noticed that when I turn up the heat, I can begin to hear the what sounds like the blower motor turning. I think this is just the flaps opening and allowing the airflow through the system. This could be causing the blower motor to turn from the airflow caused by the engine cooling fan. But, in my case I don't recall being able to hear the fan motor over the sound of the mufflers (unless the CCU fan switch is turned on).
Old 11-21-2008, 01:34 PM
shamrock
Racer

Good point , I'll try it on full cold and see.. ould be one of those things where it always existed but my ear has suddenly become tuned to it.

I'm fairly sure it's not the belt sensor , it's not a round you'd associate with squeaking , more sound of air thru a gap!?
Old 11-21-2008, 04:30 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you checked whether your fresh air flap servo is functioning? It's a pretty common failure and can cause the whistling symptoms you describe.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:37 PM
shamrock
Racer

Originally Posted by Matt Davies
Have you checked whether your fresh air flap servo is functioning? It's a pretty common failure and can cause the whistling symptoms you describe.
I haven't checked this Matt .. How do I go about this , and could you describe any other symptoms?

I've noticed that on longer journeys when I'm cruising over a long period (say an hour or more) that I have to keep turning the temp up (nearly to red dot) in order to get heat into the passenger area
.. I assumed this was part of my cars 'charm' but maybe it's a connected symptom in some way?
Old 11-21-2008, 05:49 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do a search and there's some good write ups (better than I can provide) on it.

I don't know about your heat issue, though an easy way to tell if your fresh air flap is closed is if you push the recirculation button and get a sudden burst of good airflow from the vents. Without fresh air the system labors for well, fresh air, and wheezes/whistles. Recirculation bypasses that.

You can check the fresh air flap itself if you pop the bonnet, and remove the plastic cowl above the firewall. There's three servos that respond to sliding the HVAC buttons back and fore. Fresh air is IIRC the middle one.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:21 PM
shamrock
Racer

Thanks very mch Matt , that's loads to work on!
Old 04-11-2009, 11:37 AM
roddylennox
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Did anyone find the cause of this problem? I've got the same...whistle from throttle body area on light acceleration only. Spraying carb cleaner in the area does not affect revs, suggesting no air leak.

You can even hear it with the car stationery if revved gently - a little whistle from throttle body area.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Whistling sound form the Heater Blower area.