Old 11-20-2008, 09:48 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
A different thought for these different times.

With all the people who are out of work, lost their homes and are wondering what the future will be, sell the car for $50K and buy a Honda!! Donate the rest of the $$$ to good causes.

I am a long standing car enthusiast but it seems almost socially irresponsible to buy a Ferrari with all that is going on.
why?
Old 11-20-2008, 10:09 AM
Kcreager1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would not take it - not for your car with the mods. I would not take it for the same reason that I will not sell stock at today's prices and consider it a good deal in "today's economic environment". If you don't have to have the money, don't sell.

I have a 96 C4S with more mods than yours. I have $76K in PO reciepts for mods and maint (top end, etc) and 61K miles. I might take the money for my car - mostly because of the additional miles it has on it. But for yours, with as low as the miles are AND the hardback seats - no way.

I'd stoop to taking a $$ loan from the 401k before I would take $50 for that car. One year ago you could have gotten much more. 5 years from now, I think you can get $50K if you don't put too many miles on it. What other car can you own, enjoy driving occasionally (that is actually fun to drive) and not lose your shorts over the course of the next 5 years?

Sure, you can buy a a late model vette, viper, or a newer 911 - but you will lose yous a$$ on depreciation. Why bother?

Sell it if you are in a pinch or if you are over the sports car thing. You will regret it - you will find yourself in 6 months really eyeballing the 993's you see. You will probably get another one - and when you do it will not be as nice as the one that got away.

2 cents
Old 11-20-2008, 10:10 AM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Allen
As well...it can become a $70K Modena almost as fast....it's essentially trying to predict the market...in fact that's exactly what it is. It's trying to predict the Modena market. Will it go up to $100K or go down to $70K? If we can figure THAT out, we'll be in good shape. Until then, we just have to speculate and do the best we can.
I was not saying that it will go up in value, they built a ton of 360s. If you buy a 70-80K Modena, the chances of it turning into a service nightmare are far greater. You can rack up 10-20k in service bills pretty fast, especially with a car that dosn't have a service history. I don't think the dealer, where you will have to get it serviced if you want top dollar when selling it, is going to show any mercy. I don't think these cars are going back up, especially with 430s dipping below $150K.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:49 AM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Justin Keenan
I was not saying that it will go up in value, they built a ton of 360s. If you buy a 70-80K Modena, the chances of it turning into a service nightmare are far greater. You can rack up 10-20k in service bills pretty fast, especially with a car that dosn't have a service history. I don't think the dealer, where you will have to get it serviced if you want top dollar when selling it, is going to show any mercy. I don't think these cars are going back up, especially with 430s dipping below $150K.
Ohhh...I misunderstood...sorry...Now that I see what you are saying...I really could not agree more...
Old 11-20-2008, 11:19 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With all the people who are out of work, lost their homes and are wondering what the future will be, sell the car for $50K and buy a Honda!! Donate the rest of the $$$ to good causes.

I am a long standing car enthusiast but it seems almost socially irresponsible to buy a Ferrari with all that is going on.
Keep in mind that there are people out there with money and regardless of what is going on, they still have money.

Are you a Republican?
Old 11-20-2008, 12:07 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Watch the list prices at RPM, etc. While they are not the actual selling prices, any changes in the listing prices will indicate a trend in the price of the garage queen cars.

Has anyone seen the list prices dropping?
Old 11-20-2008, 12:39 PM
verboten
Racer

It is not about the money, it's about living life to the fullest! Is there only one book to read, one house to build, one woman to love (well okay)? No way, there are way too many cool and different cars out there!

What do you have at the end of day, month or your life, if you let one car literally sit in your garage? It's about exciting as a stamp collection. However, if you use it, maintain it, enjoy what the car was made for (driving) and when something else interests you, move on. "Move with the cheese", if not enjoy the Car Shows sitting next to your car on Sunday in a a lawn chair eating hot dogs with the hood and doors open and a "Do Not Touch" sign.

Last edited by verboten; 11-20-2008 at 01:00 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:46 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

hahaha

So I take it from your post that YOU have donated $50,000 cash to your favorite cause in recent months?

Why the hell should we all sacrifice MORE than we already are (taxes, inflation, et al)? Just to share the same pain as the countless MORONS who got us into this mess?

Something tells me you're little too "touchy-feely," not enough "thinkie thinkie."

Old 11-20-2008, 02:45 PM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

oh.. man...here we go...this is gonna turn into one of those 50+ page threads that has nothing to do with cars
Old 11-20-2008, 05:03 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 450 Likes on 281 Posts

IMHO, it all boils down to what trips your trigger. If you just want the latest and greatest and don't care how much money you spend doing it, well, fine. OTOH, if you really enjoy Porsches, you've come to realize that the 993 is probably the best of the late models. It has classic lines, sufficient performance and creature comforts to satisfy most of us and it causes enthusiasts' heads to turn. All that and extremely low depreciation because of its desireability. That's why I own two of them. I have a couple of other cars far more valuable and could buy a brand new P-Car but, for me, the 993 is the "best of breed".
Old 11-20-2008, 05:49 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 11-20-2008, 06:09 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Something tells me you're little too "touchy-feely," not enough "thinkie thinkie."
mjsporsche may be overreacting a bit but even JP Morgan left his yacht at the dock during the depression (that's actually a fact). You may disagree but I think old JP was plenty "thinkie thinkie".
Old 11-20-2008, 06:17 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 2Many Cars
mjsporsche may be overreacting a bit but even JP Morgan left his yacht at the dock during the depression (that's actually a fact). You may disagree but I think old JP was plenty "thinkie thinkie".
Leaving the car in the garage (dock) is one thing....selling it and giving the money away is completely different, at least to me, and apparently to ol' JP too after he "thinkie thinkie".
Old 11-20-2008, 06:23 PM
RutgersU
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DC from Cape Cod
Watch the list prices at RPM, etc. While they are not the actual selling prices, any changes in the listing prices will indicate a trend in the price of the garage queen cars.

Has anyone seen the list prices dropping?
The fact that RPM has only one 993 in inventory is a pretty good indicator of how he sees the market.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:24 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Leaving the car in the garage (dock) is one thing....selling it and giving the money away is completely different, at least to me, and apparently to ol' JP too after he "thinkie thinkie".
I suspect that comment about giving the money away was meant to illustrate the point rather than be a specific recommendation. By the way - during the depression JP was also one of the biggest philanthropists in the US and very likely the world so he didn't have to think about selling anything - he just lowered his profile a bit under the circumstances.

With that let's get this back on the topic. I'm signing off on this tangent!

Quick Reply: Was offered $50k...