Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car rides way too rough after Bilstein HD/M030's. May have been a bad choice...

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 03:54 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 261 Posts

I felt that my ride was too harsh when my PSS9 were installed for about the first week or so. It softened afterwards and actually had to readjust the stiffness a few months later.

Good luck with your setup and +1 on the Sumi HRZ IIIs.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:03 PM
VNTGSPD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
I felt that my ride was too harsh when my PSS9 were installed for about the first week or so. It softened afterwards and actually had to readjust the stiffness a few months later.

Good luck with your setup and +1 on the Sumi HRZ IIIs.

Good point on the "break-in"

Both sets of Bilstein shocks I have purchased new softened after 500-1000 miles.

Also, great comments on the alignment and ride height issues. You will be well armed when you return to your mechanic for help.

Good Luck!
Old 11-12-2008, 05:33 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
My head is spinning around.
Alot of collective wisdom here. We didn't save my stock shocks so going back to those I don't think is an option... Besides, all the work to put them in - they have to work in some way here.

Maybe it is the tires. The inflation pressure should just be what it was when I left his shop, I'm sure they're right.... right? I'll have him school me on all this on Monday.

Steve

LOL, see what happens when you ask questions?

THROW AWAY THE STOCK SHOCKS! They are toast, & should be scrapped. I was talking about the stock springs, you can put them on the Bilstein HD shocks. This will give you a softer ride.

Part of your tramlinine is the alignment settings. If you over inflate the tires, it will also fell harsher. You might want to back the pressure down a little to 32front & 38 rear. It might help a little, just a little.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:22 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
LOL, see what happens when you ask questions?

THROW AWAY THE STOCK SHOCKS! They are toast, & should be scrapped. I was talking about the stock springs, you can put them on the Bilstein HD shocks. This will give you a softer ride.

Part of your tramlinine is the alignment settings. If you over inflate the tires, it will also fell harsher. You might want to back the pressure down a little to 32front & 38 rear. It might help a little, just a little.
Sorry Steve, but you goofed. If it makes you feel better, I did too (too bad you didn't see my posts when doing your research). The Bilstein HDs have wayyyyyy too much compression dampening. The harshness you are feeling is coming from the shocks, not the springs. For some reason Bilstein thinks it's a good idea to spec their HDs as if they are to be installed on a 5000lb Land Rover.

I plan to ditch my HDs and M030 springs for KWs in the future. If you want a much cheaper (albeit short-lived) solution, you can keep your M030 springs and replace your shocks with Euro M030 items. This will get rid of the SUV height and instill some compliance in your suspension.

Just my .02 - lots of people like the HDs, which will make them easier to sell
Old 11-12-2008, 06:56 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,010 Likes on 1,779 Posts

Steve, when you were asking for opinions here: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/448012-shocks-are-shot-at-80k-mi-is-the-bilstein-hd-m030-s-still-the-best-bet-for.html, I suggested, based on the description of what YOU were looking for, to consider the following:

- HD/M033
- RoW Sport ride height
- RS spec alignment

I went as far as saying "it's the only way to go...for you" based on my experience with four different 993 suspension setups in the past. IIRC, others had similar suggestions. Unfortunately, the proper way to fix your problem is to do the above, but you may want to start with ride height and alignment as that will vastly improve the ride quality. Good luck.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:10 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by Louis J.
Steve, when you were asking for opinions here: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=448012, I suggested, based on the description of what YOU were looking for, to consider the following:

- HD/M033
- RoW Sport ride height
- RS spec alignment

I went as far as saying "it's the only way to go...for you" based on my experience with four different 993 suspension setups in the past. IIRC, others had similar suggestions. Unfortunately, the proper way to fix your problem is to do the above, but you may want to start with ride height and alignment as that will vastly improve the ride quality. Good luck.
Thanks guys. In my initial searching for information I do remember your set up. But many others went the way I went, so I thought that would be a good option too. I believe that my situation will be liveable if my mechanic can make some slight adjustments and I'll even try to lower the tire pressure if need be. I'm not pulling out the valuable suspension components and trying to sell them, plus paying out high labor rates to put in a different suspension. To me that seems ludicrous so I'll go through anything I can to avoid that.

To be continued...

Steve R

Last edited by Steve 96C4S; 11-12-2008 at 11:35 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:38 PM
wayne993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I don't know what to say. The HDs with M030 is a great setup. I hate to say it and have it sound
this way - but really, maybe you should be in another car if this is too harsh for you. But maybe theres
something wrong somewhere.

I'd try 2 things that
might be "cheap". Ok make it 3:
try another 993 HD/M030 that the owner is happy with.... if you think the same thing about that car, then
I think a 911 is not for you.
Put someone else's 17" wheels on your car and drive a few miles and see what you think
Try another car that has 18" wheels and PS2's and see what you think
ideally, try another car that has 17" wheels and PS2s and see what you think.

I suggest these things because:

THe 17" wheels have a higher sidewall which adds more "spring" to the system in series with the
shocks.

The PS2s have circumferential rings that give a smooth ride

Maybe the shocks you have are not valved correctly.

Sorry it didn't work out for you. I couldn't be happier with mine and if you were local I'd offer you a
ride in my car.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:45 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by wayne993
Well I don't know what to say. The HDs with M030 is a great setup. I hate to say it and have it sound
this way - but really, maybe you should be in another car if this is too harsh for you. But maybe theres
something wrong somewhere.

I'd try 2 things that
might be "cheap". Ok make it 3:
try another 993 HD/M030 that the owner is happy with.... if you think the same thing about that car, then
I think a 911 is not for you.
Put someone else's 17" wheels on your car and drive a few miles and see what you think
Try another car that has 18" wheels and PS2's and see what you think
ideally, try another car that has 17" wheels and PS2s and see what you think.

I suggest these things because:

THe 17" wheels have a higher sidewall which adds more "spring" to the system in series with the
shocks.

The PS2s have circumferential rings that give a smooth ride

Maybe the shocks you have are not valved correctly.

Sorry it didn't work out for you. I couldn't be happier with mine and if you were local I'd offer you a
ride in my car.

Pardon my ignorance, but are PS2's Michelin Tires? I had to do a search on Google and under PS2 and Porsche that's what came up. So many acronyms today, I wasn't familiar with that one. I JUST bought my rear Bridgestone Tires 3k miles ago so I hope the tires I have will work. All I need to have happen is a local Rennlister drive my car but there aren't any really close by. I'll have my mechanic do some of the cheapo things you guys recommended and start there. I'm not some kind of wimp that can't deal with a sporty ride. The way this car is handling now, something is definitely wrong. The more I read from this thread, the more I'm certain it's some small item that just needs to be tweaked, I hope.

I wish I did live near you... I'd be riding in that car right now. One option I won't do is go from my 18" wheel to a 17" wheel. The 18" wheel I have now is the one that goes with my car. It wouldn't look good with the cup wheel.

Regards,
Steve R
Old 11-13-2008, 12:00 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,010 Likes on 1,779 Posts

Steve,

Your biggest problem by far is the alignment. You can't drive around with -2 camber on all four corners and not expect the car to tram or feel harsh. IMO, you have two options to fix your suspension:

1) Fix it right. Get the M033 springs, swap them and then get the car aligned. If you sell your M030 springs, your net cost will be the spring swap and alignment...probably ~$700 labor and ~$300 in cost difference for the springs.

2) Get the car properly aligned and height adjusted. Get it set to RoW sport height and RS specs. Total cost will probably be ~$300 but if it's still to stiff for you afterward, you have to go back to square one.

As for tire pressure, set them at 36F and 38R. This won't likely solve your problem.

BTW, I'd be wary of a tech who quotes $10k for a top end.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:09 AM
Surj-993C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Steve - you can have my stock setup and I'll take your HDs & M030 - deal?
Old 11-13-2008, 12:16 AM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tire pressures too high did make my ride noticeably harsher. Steve did you check your tires???
Steve,

Your biggest problem by far is the alignment. You can't drive around with -2 camber on all four corners and not expect the car to tram or feel harsh. IMO, you have two options to fix your suspension:

1) Fix it right. Get the M033 springs, swap them and then get the car aligned. If you sell your M030 springs, your net cost will be the spring swap and alignment...probably ~$700 labor and ~$300 in cost difference for the springs.

2) Get the car properly aligned and height adjusted. Get it set to RoW sport height and RS specs. Total cost will probably be ~$300 but if it's still to stiff for you afterward, you have to go back to square one.

As for tire pressure, set them at 36F and 38R. This won't likely solve your problem.

BTW, I'd be wary of a tech who quotes $10k for a top end.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:44 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Steve,

I wholeheartedly agree...you will find RS specs to be much easier on tire wear than what you have now, too.

I think you would benefit from driving another M030/HD equipped car with RS or "less" suspension settings and see what you think.

As for your shifter rattling issue, I had this when I initially bought my car and the tech put something in from the inside to make it stop - a nylon shim or something. Might be worth trying that.

So sorry to hear this not being any fun for ya!
Old 11-13-2008, 08:44 PM
WANGWANG167
Intermediate

Do let me know if you take it out your current set and installed a new set, I will buy it. Thx.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:58 PM
DaveM993
Drifting

Agree with the alignment observations...when I saw the numbers I let out a little gasp...

I track my car with PSS9's...not even close to the agressive alignment you have...and don't think I would want to be if I was going anywhere near the road.

Start there!!!
Old 11-13-2008, 10:49 PM
luvmy356
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Pardon my ignorance, but are PS2's Michelin Tires? I had to do a search on Google and under PS2 and Porsche that's what came up. So many acronyms today, I wasn't familiar with that one. I JUST bought my rear Bridgestone Tires 3k miles ago so I hope the tires I have will work. All I need to have happen is a local Rennlister drive my car but there aren't any really close by.
+1 on the PS2's. PS2's aka Michelin Pilot Sport 2's.

I also had almost brand new SO2's when I did my HD/M030 springs/bars last year and the ride was pretty rough and the car darted over every truck rut afterwards. Fortunately I had an unrepairable flat a month later, and since SO2's were no longer available, I switched to PS2's (the tire shop gave me a token trade-in on the other three tires). OMG, it was a huge transformation, it was much quieter in the car, the car tracked straight, and the ride was so much smoother.

My ride height is higher than yours, I had it set at ~ ROW sport as I drive in an urban environment most of the time and have no problems with speed bumps or curbs (as long as I approach at an angle)

Quick Reply: Car rides way too rough after Bilstein HD/M030's. May have been a bad choice...