Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tiptronic auto shifts in manual mode?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 12:41 PM
ecobb993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tiptronic auto shifts in manual mode?

I always drive my tip in manual mode. But lately - it's only happened a couple times over the last few months - it will upshift automatically. Seems to happen from 2nd to 3rd and when slightly lifting off the gas.

Anyone else have this issue? What was the cause? Is this a symptom of an impending failure or just a tiny little annoyance to live with?
Old 11-05-2008, 02:31 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 252 Posts

did u take off from a standing stop in 2nd?
Old 11-05-2008, 02:33 PM
ecobb993
Racer

did u take off from a standing stop in 2nd?
I don't think so . .
Old 11-05-2008, 03:37 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

If you shift up manually then stop without shifting down manually the trans will shift automatically back up to the gear you had shifted up to.

For example, you shift manually up to 3rd then come to a stop sign. If you don't downshift manually the car will automatically shift down to start out from the stop and then automatically shift back up to 3rd as you speed up.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:42 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by hoggel
If you shift up manually then stop without shifting down manually the trans will shift automatically back up to the gear you had shifted up to.

For example, you shift manually up to 3rd then come to a stop sign. If you don't downshift manually the car will automatically shift down to start out from the stop and then automatically shift back up to 3rd as you speed up.
well..this is a better and more detailed explanation.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:27 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hoggel

Oh, so that's what does it...I experienced this from time to time, too, but I never correlated it to forgetting to manually downshift...
Old 11-05-2008, 05:02 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Burdell
Oh, so that's what does it...I experienced this from time to time, too, but I never correlated it to forgetting to manually downshift...

Yeah, who would have thought there would be intricacies to shifting with an auto trans? To simplify I just let the car shift up automatically in manual mode ... you know, at ~redline.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:36 AM
ecobb993
Racer

Hmmm . . Guess I'll do some experimenting with not manually shifting back to 1st at stop, etc. I don't think I can catch myself unconsciously forgetting (although I forget more and more stuff lately) to shift back to 1st. If I discover some consistent behavior with this test, I'll post.

Quick Reply: Tiptronic auto shifts in manual mode?