Sponsored by:

Drat! I got a flat.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 04:42 PM
Smiles
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Drat! I got a flat.

The rear passenger tire is completely flat. I tried to pump it up, but there's clearly some leak. I haven't taken the time to examine it more closely.

I'm at work, and my 993 and the owner's manual are at home. I'd like to remove the wheel, and take it to a mechanic I trust and have him repair or replace the tire.

I've seen the p-car.com directions on jacking up your car. Could I jack up only the rear right? I would need to leave it that way for a couple of days. I think it would be fairly safe, but then again I would worry that someone could bump into it, and that would squish my big red brakes.

Or should I have the whole car flatbedded? That seems like an awful lot to change a tire.

A third option is to drive about two city blocks on the flat tire, and then park it in my garage and remove the tire. I like that idea if it isn't too stressful on the tire.

So: any advice or sympathy is welcome. Advice on how to remove one rear tire is needed in particular. Is it possible to do with the engine shield in place?

Thanks!
Old 10-29-2008, 04:47 PM
95FL993CAB
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok. I would nix the idea of leaving it on the jack. Way to risky. Driving on the tire will kill it. Flatbedding it is expensive, but the safe option. Last but not least, how about squirting on of those cans in it and then drive to a repair facility? Cheaper, faster, easier....
Old 10-29-2008, 04:58 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely don't leave it up on a jack. Jackstands might be an option, but I would second the idea of putting Fix a Flat in. Your tire guy will probably gripe about it, though.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:20 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you are just leaving the car in place....
Do NOT leave the car with the jack as the only support!!!!! Get a jack stand or....

Pump up spare tire first to ensure it is good (do this first, as what follows is useless w/o a spare), jack up the car, remove tire, put on spare, lower car onto installed spare tire, take tire to have it fixed, then put fixed tire back on.

If you need to drive it.....
I believe the manual recommends not using a spare on the rear, so you must put the spare on the front and use the good front tire on the rear. I'd venture to guess this is if you need to drive any distance. If you are going to drive <30mph to the tire shop, I'd probably skip this (unless a RL'er knows a good reason not too....).

Most of this is covered in the Owner's manual, so it is worth a read...and you'll discover a few things about your car (I did). So, I'm gently suggesting "RTM", as opposed to using this evil looking character --->

Originally Posted by Smiles
So: any advice or sympathy is welcome. Advice on how to remove one rear tire is needed in particular. Is it possible to do with the engine shield in place?
Geez, I'm beginning to feel sorry for the much maligned engine tray....
Old 10-29-2008, 05:48 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with the fix a flat way of moving the car.

If the tire guy bitches about the fix a flat just do what I do.......blame the wife

Also through the guy a 20 for the trouble.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:14 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Why not just use the spare? What am I missing here...?
Old 10-29-2008, 07:23 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Bruce,

It was on the rear tire. You can't use the spare on the rear of the car.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:31 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 869 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by FGL28
Bruce,

wow
i'd be interested in being educated as to why this is the case.

cheers

Craig
Old 10-29-2008, 07:32 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 915 Likes on 553 Posts

Maybe I never read that part of the manual, but I did once drive about 15 miles on the 993 spare on the right rear. With the 18" flat on the rear shelf.

I prefer not to use that goop in the bottle, and the TT has no spare, so I carry a Griot's plug kit. Used it once.

Or you could ask the garage mechanic to ride with you to the car and fix it in place. If you can get enough air in it, you can plug it without taking it off the wheel.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:25 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FGL28
Bruce,

My manual makes no such statement. Page 109 discusses the collapsible spare tire in detail, with no mention of front-only use. In fact, on p. 5, proper tire pressure for the collapsible spare is given as 36psi front and rear.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:36 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

A tire guy told me that.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:58 PM
Tinluver
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Flat bed it.Take the time ,do it right;no regrets
Old 10-29-2008, 10:11 PM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reference to front-only use of the spare was in the early build 964 owner's manual. It said to move a front wheel to the back, and put the collapsible spare on the now vacant front. The instruction was removed from the manual on the later cars, I believe.

OTOH, that little doughnut wheel / tire probably isn't the greatest on the rear, given the weight bias of these cars. For short distances at moderate speeds, it should be fine. When my rear went flat recently, I just jacked the car, put the spare on the back, lowered the car onto it, and took the tire to be fixed. I wouldn't leave the car sitting on a jack, raised. That's asking for trouble.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:41 PM
Smiles
Pro

Thank you for the replies, guys.

For the record, leaving it on the jack was never an option. My question was: how can I jack one corner up, and then support it with jack stands. I apologize if I didn't make this question more clear. It still seems to be unanswered. Anyone?

I really prefer not to add goop to my tires, and I prefer leaving my spare unused. If there's a cheap wheel that has the same bolt spacing that could get me into my garage, I'd love to hear about it. I could pick one up and use it to slowly park the 993 in my garage.

What bolt pattern would fit a 993 and clear a C4S rear brake at any price? Could I get a VW or similar wheel to move the car around?

Thanks again for all the replies!
Old 10-30-2008, 01:35 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Default Using spare on the rear

I was just reading Paul Frere's book on 911 development history the other night and he mentioned that in the early days Porsche wanted to have wider tires on the rear but could not because a spare tire was not available that could be used in place of two different sizes. When this limitation was overcome Porsche started using larger width rears....So, I would think that our collapsable spares are good for front or rear application.

Quick Reply: Drat! I got a flat.