993 RS rear suspension???

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 12:54 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 511 Likes on 351 Posts
Default 993 RS rear suspension???

I know that some of you have changed your rear suspension to RS spec. I am in the process of putting together a parts order and am wodering if any of you have changed the side panals to the RS version.

993.331.051.80 Side panel /L
993.331.052.80 Side panel /R

I'm curious as to how necessary this might be, or even if it's worth it considering the cost of the parts.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:12 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

What is a side panel and where does it go?
Old 10-27-2008, 01:33 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
What is a side panel and where does it go?
My thought would be the side pieces of the rear suspension assembly:

Andreas
Old 10-27-2008, 01:50 PM
Premier Motorsp
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The difference is that the slot for the camber adjuster is longer. To make use of this you also need the RS camber eccentric bolts.

You can pretty easily modify your stock parts to replicate the RS parts.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:03 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Premier Motorsp
The difference is that the slot for the camber adjuster is longer. To make use of this you also need the RS camber eccentric bolts.

You can pretty easily modify your stock parts to replicate the RS parts.
Thanks Chris!! At ~$1500/side I think i'll live w/ the stock ones.

I already have the RS eccentric bolts and washers on the list of parts that I will order.

While I have your attention,

I'm going to replace all the rear arms and hardware w/ factory, that's A(RS), kinematic(RS) and camber(generic late993)

but the thinking is to do the toe link w/ a Tarret piece w/ their lock kit.

Does that all sound reasonable??

I do not want to make this into a track only car which an all monoball set up would be.

This past year I put ~2000mi on the car of which ~1200 was on a track the rest street.

TIA for any advice
Old 10-27-2008, 02:17 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

As far as I know Bill, the only difference with the RS frame and standard are the stiffness of the bushes. For my money you should keep the standard frames and fit the GT2 Evo solid bush kit, it won't kill the compliance of the back end but it will nail out the strange rear wheel steering effects that happen when the rear end unloads suddenly. In order of priority, this mod is third on our list behind a handling kit and front wishbone bushes.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:49 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NineMeister
As far as I know Bill, the only difference with the RS frame and standard are the stiffness of the bushes.
That was my understanding too

For my money you should keep the standard frames and fit the GT2 Evo solid bush kit, it won't kill the compliance of the back end but it will nail out the strange rear wheel steering effects that happen when the rear end unloads suddenly.
Interesting, where would one purchase these bush kits? I don't belive that I have ever seen mention of this before.

In order of priority, this mod is third on our list behind a handling kit and front wishbone bushes.
what do you mean by handling kit? What are the subsequent items?
Old 10-27-2008, 02:53 PM
Premier Motorsp
Racer

I am generally not in favor of adjustable length arms on 993s (although they are very handy in some situations) because things get really complicated when you have both the ability to change the location and the length of the arms.

I guess if you lock down the eccentric then you don't have that problem. The motorsport toe links are great because they eliminate that stupid long ball joint stud which makes taking the crossmember off much easier. Of course the motorsport parts are quite expensive.

All things considered, the aftermarket links probably are a good choice.

I think you can get away with monoballs in a street car if you leave the rubber mounts in the subframes. The increase in noise won't be too bad.

BTW Colin is probably right about RS subframe bushings. I have never thought about it because the only time I see RS subframes they are in race cars with solid mounts.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:54 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Bill-

Possible he's talking about the GT2 Tilt kit?
Attached Images  
Old 10-27-2008, 03:08 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

The 9m way of tuning a 993 suspension is:

1. Springs & damper package (handling kit) KW preferred & recommended.
2. Front wishbone bush upgrade - RS wishbones or poly
3. Stiff axle kit (GT2 Evo, as photo
4. RS anti roll bars.

I think Smart Racing Products stock the stiff axle kits but no doubt they are available from other vendors.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:11 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Premier Motorsp
I am generally not in favor of adjustable length arms on 993s (although they are very handy in some situations) because things get really complicated when you have both the ability to change the location and the length of the arms.

I guess if you lock down the eccentric then you don't have that problem. The motorsport toe links are great because they eliminate that stupid long ball joint stud which makes taking the crossmember off much easier. Of course the motorsport parts are quite expensive.

All things considered, the aftermarket links probably are a good choice.

I think you can get away with monoballs in a street car if you leave the rubber mounts in the subframes. The increase in noise won't be too bad.

BTW Colin is probably right about RS subframe bushings. I have never thought about it because the only time I see RS subframes they are in race cars with solid mounts.
Yes, thats why I shied away from the ERP camber and KT links, but the Tarret toe lin w/ lock seems to address an issue that I've seen a lot, i.e. the rear toe getting knocked out(at least thats what the eccentics are saying). It just seems that locking the eccentice and then relying on changing the arm length will be more a more secure(and have finer adjutment) than can be had from the eccentics.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:13 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AC993C2S
Bill-

Possible he's talking about the GT2 Tilt kit?
Yes, I guess he is. I hadn't put that together w/ the thought of solid bushes.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:18 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

The 9m way of tuning a 993 suspension is:

1. Springs & damper package (handling kit) KW preferred & recommended.
2. Front wishbone bush upgrade - RS wishbones or poly
3. Stiff axle kit (GT2 Evo, as photo
4. RS anti roll bars.

I think Smart Racing Products stock the stiff axle kits but no doubt they are available from other vendors.
The front was done last winter, I am very pleased w/ the set up there except that I need to replace the JIC monoballs w/ Mode monoballs. RS sways were also installed last winter

The back will be this winter's project, I have been getting an ugly squirm in back when a completly unloaded suspension reloads

So given that the car needs to remain 50/50 track street would the Gt2 tilt/solid bush kit be a worthwhile change?
Old 10-27-2008, 03:18 PM
North Coast Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have looked at the Smart Racing GT2 "Tilt" kit, but I have stayed away because it says "solid" kit.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:27 PM
'95 993
Instructor

Colin fitted these to my car, now I am not an expert at all but I do drive my car on the road a fair bit ~ 4000 - 5000 miles per annum and do approx 10 - 12 track days a year and they did not affect the harshness at all (or to be more precise, I did not notice any change in harshness) but they do stop the tail self steering on the track and have saved me from going into serious tank slappers (massive fishtailing) on at least two occassions on the track.

Prior to speaking to colin my car felt like it had a massive fat backside on the track that wobbled around on hard cornering, I changed out the engine and gearbox mounts to RS items to no avail, but the GT2 mounts solved the issue totally.

I can totally agree with Colin these are a definite top 3 for suspension but no one apart from colin seems to know about them - prob the reason Colin is the Ninemeister - no affiliation, just a happy customer :-)

BTW the billet head conversion still going strong after 30k miles and 3 years

Quick Reply: 993 RS rear suspension???