Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 03:57 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg H.
Is #2, the poly front bushes what Chris Walrod is selling?
We have our own made in two different stiffnesses (road & track) but Chris's will definitely be up to the job.

I have been told that near cornering limits, the rear end of my car is not smooth, but seems to be loading and unloading slightly. I can't feel it (maybe I'm used to it), but several people have told me it looks really weird. Is this what you guys are trying to correct?
Greg H.
Sounds like it to me. The whole back end moves under load, I noticed the effect the very first time I drove a standard 993 on the road, it's that little bit of uncertainty about the grip level you feel on initial turn-in as well as the movement you have noticed. Trust me, if you want your 993 to give you more confidence in its abilities, this is the way to do it.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:47 PM
'95 993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I second what Colin is saying, given my car is the car with the "dirty" mounts, it was transformed on the track after Colin fitted the kit, it goes where it is told, at pretty much any speed angle and is controllable when you make rapid direction changes (like when you get it wrong - Colin wouldn't have any experience of this )and when it starts to drift as you go through a fast chicane, furthermore I noticed NO difference at all to ride quality on the road. Highly recommended.

Mine you I do have PSS9's and RS anti roll bars fitted. so no further deterioration on road from PSS9's on soft setting and a/r bars on middle setting.

Definitely a must do mod

John
Old 10-31-2008, 01:30 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Can anyone tell me how much of the rear suspension needs to be disassembled to install the tilt kit?

Greg H.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:07 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 350 Posts

Can anyone tell me how much of the rear suspension needs to be disassembled to install the tilt kit?

Greg H.
All of it, the tilt kit tilts the side panels that the all other suspension arms bolt to.

I'm thinking that plain old flat solids are the more appropriate way to go for an RS type and the tilt kit is more for the high hp tt cars. Any comments on this notion.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:16 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

I just did my rear bearings and was hoping I didn't have to take the axles out again since it was such a PITA.

I was hoping there is a short cut from the obvious "take everything apart". For example, the workshop manual says you have to disassemble several rear suspension links to remove the axle but that is not true. I'm wondering about removing the shock to unload the suspension and just unbolting the side panels or maybe even unbolting one end of them to slide the tilt kit in. This seems like one of those things that would be a lot clearer the second time around.

Greg H.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:21 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just did my rear bearings and was hoping I didn't have to take the axles out again since it was such a PITA.

I was hoping there is a short cut from the obvious "take everything apart". For example, the workshop manual says you have to disassemble several rear suspension links to remove the axle but that is not true. I'm wondering about removing the shock to unload the suspension and just unbolting the side panels or maybe even unbolting one end of them to slide the tilt kit in. This seems like one of those things that would be a lot clearer the second time around.

Greg H.
That would be nice
Old 10-31-2008, 02:25 PM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Lots of great info in this thread - thanks guys!
Old 10-31-2008, 05:05 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Uh great, so I'm adding rear suspension disassembly to my list of winter projects .
Old 10-31-2008, 05:36 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
All of it, the tilt kit tilts the side panels that the all other suspension arms bolt to.

I'm thinking that plain old flat solids are the more appropriate way to go for an RS type and the tilt kit is more for the high hp tt cars. Any comments on this notion.
Shoot Chris Cervelli a PM and ask him what he would do with our relatively low HP cars.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:40 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Shoot Chris Cervelli a PM and ask him what he would do with our relatively low HP cars.
I spoke with Steve Weiner about this, as well.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:42 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
we had his attention for a bit early on in this thread
Old 10-31-2008, 05:42 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bart1
I spoke with Steve Weiner about this, as well.
and???
Old 10-31-2008, 06:27 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I don't want to put words in his mouth. I am staying with factory at the moment and if I did feel the need to upgrade, it would be to flat solid mounts.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:47 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll have the solid ERP (non-tilt) version off my car soon. PM if you any of you are interested in them.

George
Old 10-31-2008, 07:25 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by George A
I'll have the solid ERP (non-tilt) version off my car soon. PM if you any of you are interested in them.
George - why are you taking them off...?

Quick Reply: 993 RS rear suspension???