993 Forum 1995-1998

993 RS rear suspension???

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 09:12 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Colin-

Can you comment on the difference in mounting of the GT2 Tilt kit in regards to your project and 95 993's photo? It appears yours is assembled differently....?
Attached Images   
Old 10-27-2008, 09:24 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by AC993C2S
Colin-

Can you comment on the difference in mounting of the GT2 Tilt kit in regards to your project and 95 993's photo? It appears yours is assembled differently....?
Hmm, I've never seen that crosspiece bolted as you show it.

Andreas
Old 10-27-2008, 09:27 PM
Premier Motorsp
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
Thanks, I'm leaning toward doing this. One more question, how exotic is the press needed? Is this a heat and press processes or just cold press? Do I need to take them to a machine shop?
They come out easily. I pry them out with a couple big screwdrivers. If there is rust then YMMV!

I am curious about your alignment specs moving around. I just have not had this problem with 993s (996s are another story). What is moving around?

With the tilt kit the thin crossmember is placed above the side panels, as shown in post 16. It looks wrong but if you install the crossmember in the 'normal' position, the transmission cover becomes an air scoop. You have to counterbore the bolt holes and use allen bolts to get the bolts up out of the way. You can use a hand electric drill to do this in a pinch.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:43 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

The correct assembly with the stiff kit is the dirty one - because the front of the frame is lower you have to raise the undertray brace to compensate, which usually means countersinking the lower holes and mounting the brace on top of the subframe lugs.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:17 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Premier Motorsp
They come out easily. I pry them out with a couple big screwdrivers. If there is rust then YMMV!

I am curious about your alignment specs moving around. I just have not had this problem with 993s (996s are another story). What is moving around?

With the tilt kit the thin crossmember is placed above the side panels, as shown in post 16. It looks wrong but if you install the crossmember in the 'normal' position, the transmission cover becomes an air scoop. You have to counterbore the bolt holes and use allen bolts to get the bolts up out of the way. You can use a hand electric drill to do this in a pinch.
i'm just going by the toe adjusters, shouldn't they at least be close to the same L/R? + the car got twichier in back as the season progressed

Is any thing else attached to the cross member besides the trans cover?
Old 10-27-2008, 11:23 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by AC993C2S
Bill-

Keep us updated on the route you take - sounds like our cars will end up being very similar. And by the way, your avatar is pure torture for me at this stage!
Not even close , except for the color. You're building the car I want, except that I refuse to trailer anymore and so need to keep it streetable. So far having a ball w/ it.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:55 AM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the great info guys! I'm just about to order up ERP monoball bushings front and rear, the tilt subframe mounts and monoball camber plates and rear shock mounts. Looking forward to the results!
Old 10-28-2008, 02:03 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by jdistefa
Bill et al,

I switched to the Tarett control arms and also used ERP monoballs inboard on the kinematic arms. As per Steve W's advice, this really 'tied down' the rear end and improved feel immensely. Also very streetable.

Now, re. the Gt2 solid mounts - does anyone have a part number for these? Are these Porsche motorsport parts, or 9M/aftermarket...?

TIA,
Matt
Hi Doc,

We use, recommend, and sell the ERP solid mounts (flat or tilted) for this purpose.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:46 AM
AX993
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by NineMeister
GT2 Evo mounts, Tilt kit, Stiff Axle kit - all the same thing.
Colin, Thanks for the clarification !
Old 10-28-2008, 11:49 AM
Trevor-uk
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

The correct assembly with the stiff kit is the dirty one - because the front of the frame is lower you have to raise the undertray brace to compensate, which usually means countersinking the lower holes and mounting the brace on top of the subframe lugs.
So if you have fitted the stiff kit, why is your fitting different to the 'dirty one', what am I missing?

Trev
Old 10-28-2008, 01:23 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Trevor-uk
So if you have fitted the stiff kit, why is your fitting different to the 'dirty one', what am I missing?

Trev
Simply because the engine is not fitted in the car yet. Marc fitted the brace in the stock location as we did not have the countersunk bolts in stock and we wanted to get all the parts on the shell.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:23 AM
Trevor-uk
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

The 9m way of tuning a 993 suspension is:

1. Springs & damper package (handling kit) KW preferred & recommended.
2. Front wishbone bush upgrade - RS wishbones or poly
3. Stiff axle kit (GT2 Evo, as photo
4. RS anti roll bars.

I think Smart Racing Products stock the stiff axle kits but no doubt they are available from other vendors.
So, Colin, 1 (PSS 9 - check), 2 (poly - check) - could 3 and 4 be done in a day, along with next spring's pre-Le Mans trip service and geo setup ? And without the wife finding out it wasn't an absolutely necessary repair......?

Trev
Old 10-29-2008, 11:56 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

It's pretty much impossible for one technician to the whole job in one day, so the way we usually handle it is to put two technicians on the job, one doing the left side and the other the right; once it's built it will be 4 wheel aligned which is back to a one-man job. Best estimate of total time for the work is around 10 hours.

I dare say we could also help you out with a little "creative invoicing" for the better half's benefit - shame we spotted a crack in the rear subframe.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:57 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Is #2, the poly front bushes what Chris Walrod is selling?

I have been told that near cornering limits, the rear end of my car is not smooth, but seems to be loading and unloading slightly. I can't feel it (maybe I'm used to it), but several people have told me it looks really weird. Is this what you guys are trying to correct?

Greg H.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:37 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Greg H.
Is #2, the poly front bushes what Chris Walrod is selling?

I have been told that near cornering limits, the rear end of my car is not smooth, but seems to be loading and unloading slightly. I can't feel it (maybe I'm used to it), but several people have told me it looks really weird. Is this what you guys are trying to correct?

Greg H.
That could just be a worn bushing in the rear toe links; I am replacing mine with Tarett or ERP monoball toe links; no need for rubber in those.

For me, I'm just wanting to replace 11 year old rubber with 50K miles on it. It's mostly a weekend/track toy these days so going with monoball bushings will be the better choice. I'm doing the tilt kit because my Turbo will have over 500HP shortly and it already squatted a lot under accel before; so would like to keep the suspension in better alignment without resorting to super stiff springs.

Quick Reply: 993 RS rear suspension???