993 Forum 1995-1998

Delivery trip road report

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 01:32 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Delivery trip road report

This is a report of my drive back to Calgary with my new 993 coupe last April. As there does not seem to be a central trip report forum in the Rennlist, I have just placed it here.

The start. Kilo Romeo Golf slumbers in its hangar at Springbank Airport. She's a Turbo 182 RG.

Three pilots in one plane is a dangerous thing. Left to right, myself, friends Pete and Ray.

Smiling in anticipation of the drive back.

A nice Garmin stack in a brand new panel.

Salt Lake City 2 Airport. Shaking on the deal with Will (Rennlister Designergenes), a class act.

I made the first day a short one, and overnighted in Idaho Falls. Parked it outside the window, to keep a close eye on things.

Lima, Montana, with the Beaverhead Mountains in the background (possibly Scott Peak?) I had breakfast here at a nice little cafe. The locals were quite intrigued by the car, as they often are, in pickup truck country.

Above Gates of the Mountain Park, north of Helena.

After a 3 hour ordeal at the notorious Sweetgrass / Coutts border crossing, it's back at home, and all cleaned up.

A new home, and the stablemate speaks Deutsch!

This trip, bringing home a 911, was something I've dreamed about for many years. The car ran like a top; I set the cruise control for 81 and it has a really nice, low, rumble there. My wife is really happy about the car, particularly because it has helped me transition out of riding motorcycles, and she likes touring in it (another road report to follow if this one gets good reviews).

Last edited by Rinty; 10-19-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:48 PM
95FL993CAB
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice and great pics.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:53 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 981 Likes on 434 Posts

All these road trips are giving me ideas. Thanks for sharing Rinty!
Old 10-25-2008, 01:59 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Default deliver road trip

Thanks.

Beartooth Plateau / Big Horn Mountains / Black Hills to follow!
Old 10-25-2008, 04:38 PM
Gino993
Instructor

Congrats Rinty, great color. Hey, I got Germans in my stable as well
Attached Images  
Old 10-25-2008, 05:09 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by Rinty
My wife is really happy about the car, particularly because it has helped me transition out of riding motorcycles, and she likes touring in it (another road report to follow if this one gets good reviews).
She's a keeper! Nice road trip.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:49 PM
DesignerGenes
Rennlist Member

Default Nice Report!

Hello Rinty,

That's one gorgeous car you've got. I was getting out of one exactly like it at Miller Motorsports Park near Salt Lake City one day and a passerby said to me, "Most beautiful car ever made."

Come to think of it, it was THIS VERY car. I hope you're enjoying her as much as I did. It felt like adopting out one of my children to let her go. She's obviously in good hands.

Will

'05 Slate Grey 911 Turbo S (maybe not as pretty, but hella fast and sticks like glue)
Attached Images  
Old 10-25-2008, 09:05 PM
shamrock
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Rinty!
I'm so glad you went to the trouble of documenting your road trip.
Any of us who has done similarly can appreciate the barely held in child-like excitement at the prospect of the realisation of a lifetime dream .. If you get me!
I still grin at the thoughts of my adolescent whooping as I first opened the throttle on my newly acquired 993 last year, leaving its London home behind and heading on that 8 hour (including ferry time!!) trip to Dublin.
And wrapped up here against the fast approaching wet and windy Irish winter , it really is a pleasure to view those beautiful photos , ND screens included!!
Old 10-25-2008, 10:07 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Default trip report

...it felt like adopting out one of my own children...Designergenes
Will:
I still feel like it's your car. I read somewhere recently that you don't own great cars; you only have the care of them for a period of time.

P.S. Your car did quite well for itself in a recent scrum with a C 6 on Montana's famous highway 89. Karin is recovering nicely.

...the fast approaching wet and windy irish winter...Shamrock
And we have a fast approaching dry, but cold, Canadian winter, so the car will be going into heated storage for a few months, on Tuesday. I would love to drive from London to Dublin in one of these cars, and include a number of those exotic roads featured in "Total 911" and "911 and Porsche World", on the way.

Keep dry.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:49 AM
DesignerGenes
Rennlist Member

Default One Parting Photo of Your Car, Rin

I hope you're enjoying taking care of that Arena Red 993 ! I couldn't recall if I'd ever sent you this photo, with her original cup wheels I used for the track, doing a hard corner at Miller Motorsports Park.
Attached Images  
Old 02-11-2009, 12:27 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Another Photo Journalistic RLer! nice documentation and write up, Love the Arena Red!
Old 02-11-2009, 12:37 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Default delivery report

Thanks Kika! Nice to know I haven't faded into complete obscurity yet.

I've got another trip report which I hope to get around to doing soon. I'd like to see the Rennlist set up a centralized trip report section, like some other forums have. It doesn't really matter what kind of a P Car is out there touring.

Last edited by Rinty; 02-12-2009 at 01:04 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:42 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 188 Posts

Very nice! Thanks for sharing. Arena red is a beautiful color. Enjoy the car in good health!
Old 02-11-2009, 12:56 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Wonderful trip report! I bought mine in Hayden Lake, Idaho, and the trip back home to SoCal was great, with lots of long freeway runs free of other traffic. I made 600 miles before lunch the first day, mostly on the Montanabahn.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:57 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Missed this thread first time around, great trip, great report and photos. Of course having an Arena Red 993 as the subject matter helps!

Quick Reply: Delivery trip road report