Sponsored by:

Car Passed PPI !!! Thoughts/suggestions on 2200 mile road trip

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 08:53 PM
civerson4
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car Passed PPI !!! Thoughts/suggestions on 2200 mile road trip

Looks like I will be purchasing Arena993's "Big Blue" '95 C2 cab. Big thanks to rennlisters jhummel68 and g_murray who both have seen the car and spent time with me on the phone (on a side note, I sent both of them PM's--and they both called within an hour of me sending the PM--Rennlist really is great). Also thank you to Arena993 for all of the time spent discussing the car, it's condition and everything else......

I am planning to fly to Louisville, KY and drive the car back to Irvine, CA (Orange County) sometime on the next couple of weeks. Below is the route I am tentatively planing to drive (likely over 4 days). This works out to 8-10 hours/day per Google maps.

Day 1 Louisville, KY to Littlerock, AR
Day 2 Little Rock, AR to Midland, TX
Day 3 Midland, TX to Tucson, AZ (Family in Tucson)
Day 4 Tucson, AZ to Orange County, CA

Any suggestions for detours/things to see along the way? Areas to avoid? Traffic concerns in major cities (Looks like I will going right through Dallas-hopefully not at rush hour).

As for the roadtrip essentials, here is what I am planning to take with me

1. Spare DME relay
2. V1 radar detector
3. GPS unit
4. AAA card
5. Mobil 1 (1 Quart??)

The car has a toolkit, spare and compressor. Also new tires and recent major service with all fluids and belts changed.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions--and I look forward to meeting the LA/OC rennlisters in the near future.

Chad
Old 10-13-2008, 09:01 PM
NightFlyer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recommend taking I-40 out of Memphis all the way across to California. It's more of a scenic route than going further south.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:04 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Enjoy the trip! I drove from New Orleans to Miami in my first 993. It was an awesome drive and I will remember it for a long time. Watch out for Police and keep your eye on the speedo because the car will feel most comfortable at speeds above the posted limits.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:05 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default road trip

My wife and daughter were amazed by the Sixth Floor Museum in Dallas, which chronicles the assassination of President Kennedy. On the other hand, you might be wanting to avoid the downtown traffic.

Welcome to the 993 insanity; you've got some great roads for your new car near your home.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:05 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

Congrats on your purchase! Glad to see your driving her back, you forgot a camera on your list Take lots of pictures.

I am not sure what weather you will encounter on I40, otherwise it would be rather scenic compared to the southern route.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:32 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 149 Posts

Lots of pix! we like pix!!!
Old 10-13-2008, 09:33 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on your purchase and excellent decision to drive her back... I drove my tt from Chicago to LA 4 years ago... but much more aggressive schedule, 35 hours. It was a lot of fun and a great way to get to know your new (to you) 993.

Good Luck!
Old 10-13-2008, 09:38 PM
m_reagan_s
Instructor

I did the opposite in January. Southern CA, Tuscan, Oklahoma City, Nashville, Baltimore, Boston. It was the one of the best experiences I've ever had in spite of the long long days on the road. Since I did the whole trip in 5 days we were so tired we didn't do much sightseeing. We'd get a good hotel, have a good dinner and wine...and hit the sack to get back on the road in the morning early.

Your list is exacty what I brought. You should consider increasing the AAA to the 100 mile towing option just in case. Make sure you have something to listen to ...we did several great books. Sat. radio would be ideal.

PM me if you have any questions.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:56 PM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tire pressure gauge
Bottle of window cleaner and rags
A big plastic bag for your tire if it goes flat (keep the rest of your stuff clean)
A pair of gloves for your tire changing kit - I have an old pair of Mechanix gloves in there but a pair of surgical gloves will do the job - keep your hands clean
Make SURE you know where the key to the wheel locks is
Have you had any 911s before? If not, ask where the gas lid opener is - I remember my first trip to the gas station, took me about 20 minutes to find (stop laughing)
Biggest bag of Twizzlers you can buy (I'd go with Cheetos but really not good in the car)

Congrats on the new car
Dave
Old 10-13-2008, 10:22 PM
civerson4
Rennlist Member

Here is an alternate route (taking I-40 a long way)

Do you think this would be a better/more scenic route? It is about 150 miles longer (but I guess that just means more time driving the 993--not all bad)

Louisville KY, to Little Rock, AR
Little Rock, AR to Santa Rosa, NM (or somewhere in NM)
Santa Rosa,NM to Tucson, AZ
Tucson, AZ to Orange County, CA

I'd like to route through Phoenix/Tucson--and I am a little concerned about weather in Flagstaff/Northern AZ (raised in Scottsdale, AZ--so I have very little experience driving in snow--and I don't think I want to "learn" in a 911 cab that I have owned 3 days). Will I have weather/snow issues in northern New Mexico in late October?

Old 10-13-2008, 10:28 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

My Dad ( a fellow Porsche nut) lives in Little Rock and will likely be a good host for you. I live in Dallas and could meet you for lunch on the off chance that I am in town the day you come through. I recommend stopping at RUF Dallas for a viewing of the cars and shop. They are very accomodating.

Have a great trip. I love these new car roadtrips. I drove my RUF home from Miami. Loved every minute of it.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:23 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Originally Posted by pjconner
... I drove my RUF home from Miami. Loved every minute of it.
Every Minute?
Old 10-14-2008, 01:03 AM
jhummel68
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just tossing out an idea - a bra or front end mask may be helpful. The paint is in great shape and you may want to cover it with something before you hit the road. Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:27 AM
JDS
Advanced

Originally Posted by black ice
Tire pressure gauge
Bottle of window cleaner and rags
A big plastic bag for your tire if it goes flat (keep the rest of your stuff clean)
A pair of gloves for your tire changing kit - I have an old pair of Mechanix gloves in there but a pair of surgical gloves will do the job - keep your hands clean
Make SURE you know where the key to the wheel locks is
Have you had any 911s before? If not, ask where the gas lid opener is - I remember my first trip to the gas station, took me about 20 minutes to find (stop laughing)
Biggest bag of Twizzlers you can buy (I'd go with Cheetos but really not good in the car)

Congrats on the new car
Dave
+1 and maybe one more quart of oil to be sure...
I've used a handheld CB with a magnetic antenna. On channel 19 has saved me many a ticket...
I40 westbound into Arkansas will surely test suspension compliance. Very bumpy in parts.
Northern AZ can get icy/snowy sometimes in October too. But that's a different slippery slope...
Twizzlers? I'm a Juicy Twist man myself...

Congrats on beautiful car!
Old 10-14-2008, 06:49 AM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Chad:

Anything you need to add to the trip I have here and no need to carry on the plane. I have.

Towels
Final Inspection
Glass Cleaner
Mobil 1
Plastic Bags
Surgical Gloves

Bring your spare DME and a tire guage. I will go ahead and throw a new set of wiper blades on the car as well. Anything else that I can provide I will. We will touch base to firm up the list.

Mike

Quick Reply: Car Passed PPI !!! Thoughts/suggestions on 2200 mile road trip