HID's (YES, AGAIN!), best quality/price

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 12:25 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
I'm not a n00b and yes I did search and this is the thread I found...

I'm really considering a 993 (probably a 1996 coupe, manual, blah blah), but I've been having a hard time finding any with factory Litronics. I'm not a big fan of non-OEM parts like lights, so the question is this:

Is it possible to retrofit Porsche OEM Litronics to a non-Litronic car? Cost is not the issue (I'm guessing it'll be about $1000-1500), but I want to make sure it's a cut-and-dried swap.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT - looks like VHanzon might have answered the question:

And I found prices are around the $2000 mark.

If anyone has additional input or things I should know, please chime in!
Personally, I think it would be a waste of money to buy the litronic lights...the aftermarket lights are just as good and about 1/10th the cost. If the bulbs burn out, its often just cheaper to buy a new kit.

I would take the $1800 you have left and put it into other mods if you want to spent it..

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-23-2008, 01:47 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
I'm not a n00b and yes I did search and this is the thread I found...

I'm really considering a 993 (probably a 1996 coupe, manual, blah blah), but I've been having a hard time finding any with factory Litronics. I'm not a big fan of non-OEM parts like lights, so the question is this:

Is it possible to retrofit Porsche OEM Litronics to a non-Litronic car? Cost is not the issue (I'm guessing it'll be about $1000-1500), but I want to make sure it's a cut-and-dried swap.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT - looks like VHanzon might have answered the question:

And I found prices are around the $2000 mark.

If anyone has additional input or things I should know, please chime in!
Yes.
I bought an OEM Litronics kit from Sunset Imports for about $2K and had them installed in my wife's 97 Targa. Perfect OEM install, no issues.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:50 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 987 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
Personally, I think it would be a waste of money to buy the litronic lights...the aftermarket lights are just as good and about 1/10th the cost. If the bulbs burn out, its often just cheaper to buy a new kit.

I would take the $1800 you have left and put it into other mods if you want to spent it..

Cheers,

Mike
I couldn't agree more. My 95 has factory Litronics and my 97 now has aftermarket ones (cheap). There is no difference in light quality.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:47 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I guess I'm not really worried about the lumen output or any of that - I am looking more toward ease of installation, ease of replacement down the road, etc. Looks like I need to do a little research... The 993 is about a year away as it is. When it comes time to buy, I'll be asking you guys for the litany of what to look for, what to avoid, etc. Thanks for the advice!
Old 11-26-2008, 11:51 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BufordTJ
Here ya go Tim.
This thread is what I used for instructions. Search HID in the 993 forum. http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...&highlight=HID

Search the Bay for these:
Super Slim HID Conversion Kit 9006 9007 9004 H1 H3 all

Easiest upgrade ever. Cost me a total of 140.99, and 30 minutes max!

I haven't figured the best solution for the fogs yet. I purchased two LED lamps but the polarity was backward. I'm interested in what everyone else is doing.
I've finally broken down and ordered the Slim Line HID kit from the FJT2000 eBay seller. I clicked on Buford's link above for the "HID in the 993 forum" for the install instructions but get a 404 error. I've also searched for "HID install" in 993 but haven't found the instructions yet, does anyone know the name of the thread or can post the link to them? I would like to review the instructions to make sure I have all the parts before the kit gets here.

I did find another link to the TSB for the repair kit for the Bulb Retaining setup and ordered those parts from my dealer yesterday. My car has had that problem since I got it, I jerry-rigged a fix for it but will glad to get the "official" fix installed soon. P/N = 000 043 204 28; TSB 9415 (?)
Old 11-26-2008, 01:31 PM
willchao
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, Just bought the same kit from FJT2000 today as well for my incoming 96 coupe. Do a search on "FJT2000" and a pretty long thread should pop up.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:07 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am looking more toward ease of installation, ease of replacement down the road, etc.
The OEM retrofit may be a bit of a chore to install vs. the slim in the headlight aftermarket unit. The OEM system has a ballast on each side in the trunk compartment and ignitors in the headlight units. All this can be installed without great drama but the newer, small units can fit the whole package in the light bucket itself where it is safe and dry and is easiest to install. The newer units, while not OEM, are actually better (not to mention cheaper) so if you go the OEM route you are actually paying more for older technology. The light output should be the same either way.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:04 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2Many Cars
The OEM retrofit may be a bit of a chore to install vs. the slim in the headlight aftermarket unit. The OEM system has a ballast on each side in the trunk compartment and ignitors in the headlight units. All this can be installed without great drama but the newer, small units can fit the whole package in the light bucket itself where it is safe and dry and is easiest to install. The newer units, while not OEM, are actually better (not to mention cheaper) so if you go the OEM route you are actually paying more for older technology. The light output should be the same either way.
I have the OEM HID lights in one car that was installed at the factory and I've also installed the aftermarket factory OEM HID kit installed in another. Earlier this year I installed an aftermarket "made in China" slim ballast kit using the in-headlight-housing DIY and could not be more satisfied. I used 6000k bulbs so they are slightly blue compared to the OEM HID lights but they are just as bright and less than 10% the price ( more like $120 vs $2000-2500 for the factory).

Another plus of the DIY slim-ballast route is that you can wire it up so that it is fully reverseable if you use connects rather than inline wire splices...mine is set-up so that if the bulb burns out while I am in the middle of nowhere, I can still swap in a factory halogen bulb and use the old wiring.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:35 AM
quasr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default High Beams

On occasion on back roads I have needed high beams. When they are on, the light is such a yellow color compared to the HID's I installed. I just saw a listing on _bay for a HID replacement kit wherein the seller mentions using LED bulbs for the high beams. Anyone found such an item that could be recommended?
Old 11-27-2008, 07:57 PM
shamrock
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As promised a pic of HID's and LED side lights.
It's worth noting that the sides seem to fill the pic much moreso than real life , they're more a 'point' of light in reality..
Also apologies , photo was taken with a pretty awful 2megapixie camera

Old 11-30-2008, 11:53 PM
CarmG993
Burning Brakes

Here is the ebay kit from FJT2000
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...id=p2759.l1259
Old 12-01-2008, 01:55 PM
grmnxtc
Pro

Originally Posted by 993BillW
does anyone know the name of the thread or can post the link to them? I would like to review the instructions to make sure I have all the parts before the kit gets here.
Try this thread... it even has pictures
Old 12-01-2008, 03:49 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

I'm seriously thinking of installing these lights as the OEM lights are just atrocious in the dark Northeast winter. What color temperature do 993 people go with? 4300? Other than FJT2000, any recomended alternatives closer to US? Just curious, in case replacement bulbs are needed.

How large is his slim ballast, anyway? Did anyone measure it? Would it be different than, say, this $80 kit: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Super...1%7C240%3A1318 ?

Also, of teh veriety of kits he sells, what are we looking for? H1 slim kit? Or something else?
Old 12-01-2008, 04:08 PM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an aftermarket kit in my 95 and love it. The PO installed it and I can't imagine driving it at night w/ the stock lights.

I'm also bothered by the yellowish fogs and want to do something different with them, but I haven't decided what to do yet.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:36 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

I just emailed this guy: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...AQ:MOTORS:1123 and got a reply, which is always a good sign. I think I'll be getting his kit as it's only $70. The question remains - go with 5K or 6K color? H1 kit, right?

Quick Reply: HID's (YES, AGAIN!), best quality/price