Anyone regret selling their 993

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 10:09 PM
eloyex
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pegasis0066
Don't do it... ask me how I know!

I am so sad! The new owner (great guy... Roche here in rennlist) is modding her to his own specs.

That's my baby!

WOW ... what a nice C4s ..
Old 10-03-2008, 10:23 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AC.
Thanks for everyones opinion, really appreciate it.

I agree with everyone about driving it, because the more the drive the car the more I like it (or fall in love with it), I just feel as if it's too much car for just the weekend.

At this time I have decided to keep the car (my wife is also very happy with this decision). I will definitely keep you all posted if I decide to sell in the future.

Man I do love the car,
Good call on keeping the car!

I have three kids, and they are as excited about the Porsche as I am. (Maybe not quite - I have yet to see any of them spontaneously polishing the car as they walk past it in the garage...) We have the same insanely busy, minivan-oriented lifestyle, yet I wouldn't think of parting with my car.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:36 PM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2. Don't drive it to work much because I havbe this thing about driving a P-car to work, don't want my managers to know I have a nice car (or a P-car)

So not sure what to do

I make a point of driving my Porsche to work once a week, my General Manager is a car nut and he always makes conversation about my car
Old 10-04-2008, 05:41 PM
revolution993
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts

I was about to make that mistake this morning good thing they lowball me LOL
now i am gonna go make myself feel better buying a SC kit and GT3 seats =)
Old 10-04-2008, 07:36 PM
AGC
Racer

I like the way you think
Old 10-05-2008, 01:13 AM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Sold mine and really regret it. i am an idiot (but an honorable idiot for those who remember my situation)
Been a couple of months now but I'm still looking for a replacement. It will come along sooner or later. The searching is fun though.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:49 AM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Glad you kept it. Life is too short.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:40 AM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Heck yeah I regret it...twice.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:44 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 128 Posts

Do I miss the 993? Heck yeah. Do I regret selling it? No. Will I get another 993? As soon as I can and when it is financially prudent to do so. I needed to put my family first, that is why I sold the car.

Besides, it went to a great Rennlister who is enjoying the heck out of it!
Old 10-06-2008, 02:18 PM
friar93
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

take the 'drive it' advice. I put about 2k miles a year in the beginning 2 yrs and since then Ive been driving the hell out of my car the last 2 years(5k miles in just the spring-fall) and its the best thing I could have done....same situation as you: 3 small kids under 7. I take them to soccer in it(dirty cleats and all) and i installed a cup holder for the morning commute.

I think once you realize the joy in driving is the same with 70k miles and some dirt on the carpet as it is with 7k you start to get a lot more personal value and satisfaction out of the time, effort and expense of owning it....otherwise its just an anchor.

Screw the work/people thing....I often downplay the value of it so its not seen as austentacious or showy(yes I get the 'look at that idiot' stares when I pull up to soccer practice...especially since the RSRs went on) but people who are into the gossip thing will find things to say about you anyway so live large.

PS: dont let your kids put their cleats on in the car...ask me about the cleat marks I have to clean off the back of my seats when they try to put them on and tie them
Old 10-06-2008, 05:36 PM
Brent Spinks
Instructor

Yup, cleats go off, flip flops go on before they get in. Stinky shin guards ride in the bonnet, not the passenger compartment.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:44 PM
friar93
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Brent Spinks
Yup, cleats go off, flip flops go on before they get in. Stinky shin guards ride in the bonnet, not the passenger compartment.
glad to see someone else doing the same thing....I didnt even want to mention soccer practice for fear of being ostracized from the board.

but my 993 is past collector car status and deep into the 'well loved driver' category... w/mods of course.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:25 PM
s2racer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

anyone have experience with the gt3? i've always thought if i sell my 96c2, i'd go to a 2004-5 gt3. of course, to do that i'd have to sell the racecar as well :-(
Old 10-21-2008, 09:41 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 645 Likes on 326 Posts

I've actually been considering selling my 993 cab for a couple years now. It's got 160k miles on it, and theres a fair amount of wind noise when you drive with top up. I end up using the Tahoe for work alot and think about selling the cab.... I even went so far as to list it for sale.

Then a guy came buy to test drive it. I proceeded to point out all the flaws, tell him it would probably need a clutch soon, that it needed this and that.... and basically talked him out of it.

which tells me I'm not selling it...

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 10-21-2008, 11:00 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by s2racer
anyone have experience with the gt3? i've always thought if i sell my 96c2, i'd go to a 2004-5 gt3. of course, to do that i'd have to sell the racecar as well :-(
What would you like to know?

I traded a '96 993 Coupe for my GT3.

Do I miss the 993? Well here is what I miss:

1. It was paid for!
2. Nice looks. We think the 993 has the best lines.
3. Build quality.

What do I think of the GT3?

1. The drive train is to die for. It has all the power of the 993 Turbo, but it feels raw and more like a real sports car. Engine screams when you hit 7,000 to 8,200 RPM. Heavy clutch and lots of noises to remind you what this car was built for.
2. The chassis is so rigid that you can't believe how flexible other cars are.
3. Handles insanely great. You can push it much further than anything I have driven before and it never lies to you about what it is doing. Grip exceeds expectations.
4. Bulletproof drive train. I run this car every day in all weather and nothing phases it. Yes, I do take good care of it, but it never fails me ever.
5. More rattles than a nursery school! Did I mention that the chassis is stiff? The suspension is very compliant, yet firm and I have no issues with the ride, but the 996 interior has a number of places where things rattle and buzz.
6. Interior build quality is a paradox. On one hand everything is so solid that you think the doors, dash, and controls were carved out of a single block billet aluminum. The interior door handles simply do not flex. Nothing feels flimsy when you wrench on it, yet it seems to lack something compared to the 993 and why all the rattles?
7. Exterior looks are ho-hum, but the sex is so good when you drive that you really don't care. It's not that it is bad, but form really follows function in the body lines and so some of the sexy curves were nixed for low CD and top end performance.
8. Closing the doors is also a paradox compared to the 993. The 993 has a reassuring clunk that feels like a solid oak door on an air tight trunk. It just feels like closing a bank vault door. The 996 feels almost cheap by comparison, yet the door and its structural integrity with the chassis are better than the 993. However, it sure doesn't feel that way.
9. The GT3 doesn't have the old world charm of the 993. Just as well. I think the 993 was a car that Porsche broke the molds after its last run and that is a fitting tribute to a great car that deserves its own legend as a classic.

If I could have the best of both worlds it would be a GT3 and a 993 Cab. I think the 993 Cab would be a great example of a real modern sports car without the fat that makes it a luxury car, but enough creature comforts so that you can enjoy the ride top down. The GT3 would be a great track car and a great let's get down and dirty drive it like you stole it ride on the street. Power is seductive and adding unflappable handling to power with a raw business only car just makes it all the better. The GT3 is really one of the best driver's cars Porsche has ever made.

That being said, there is still a place for the 993. From a GT3 perspective, think of the 993 as more like a 356. The 356 and the 993 just ooze style. You can enjoy it in a way that you can never get from a GT3

Quick Reply: Anyone regret selling their 993