Anyone regret selling their 993

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 11:05 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 701 Likes on 348 Posts

Wow Marv, very nice. If I ever sell the cab, it would be for a GT3. But honestly, I'd rather keep it and get a GT3 IN ADDITION to the Cab. your description only reinforces that idea.

Now, if I could just afford both....

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 10-22-2008, 01:36 AM
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv
What would you like to know?

I traded a '96 993 Coupe for my GT3.

Do I miss the 993? Well here is what I miss:

1. It was paid for!
2. Nice looks. We think the 993 has the best lines.
3. Build quality.

What do I think of the GT3?

1. The drive train is to die for. It has all the power of the 993 Turbo, but it feels raw and more like a real sports car. Engine screams when you hit 7,000 to 8,200 RPM. Heavy clutch and lots of noises to remind you what this car was built for.
2. The chassis is so rigid that you can't believe how flexible other cars are.
3. Handles insanely great. You can push it much further than anything I have driven before and it never lies to you about what it is doing. Grip exceeds expectations.
4. Bulletproof drive train. I run this car every day in all weather and nothing phases it. Yes, I do take good care of it, but it never fails me ever.
5. More rattles than a nursery school! Did I mention that the chassis is stiff? The suspension is very compliant, yet firm and I have no issues with the ride, but the 996 interior has a number of places where things rattle and buzz.
6. Interior build quality is a paradox. On one hand everything is so solid that you think the doors, dash, and controls were carved out of a single block billet aluminum. The interior door handles simply do not flex. Nothing feels flimsy when you wrench on it, yet it seems to lack something compared to the 993 and why all the rattles?
7. Exterior looks are ho-hum, but the sex is so good when you drive that you really don't care. It's not that it is bad, but form really follows function in the body lines and so some of the sexy curves were nixed for low CD and top end performance.
8. Closing the doors is also a paradox compared to the 993. The 993 has a reassuring clunk that feels like a solid oak door on an air tight trunk. It just feels like closing a bank vault door. The 996 feels almost cheap by comparison, yet the door and its structural integrity with the chassis are better than the 993. However, it sure doesn't feel that way.
9. The GT3 doesn't have the old world charm of the 993. Just as well. I think the 993 was a car that Porsche broke the molds after its last run and that is a fitting tribute to a great car that deserves its own legend as a classic.

If I could have the best of both worlds it would be a GT3 and a 993 Cab. I think the 993 Cab would be a great example of a real modern sports car without the fat that makes it a luxury car, but enough creature comforts so that you can enjoy the ride top down. The GT3 would be a great track car and a great let's get down and dirty drive it like you stole it ride on the street. Power is seductive and adding unflappable handling to power with a raw business only car just makes it all the better. The GT3 is really one of the best driver's cars Porsche has ever made.

That being said, there is still a place for the 993. From a GT3 perspective, think of the 993 as more like a 356. The 356 and the 993 just ooze style. You can enjoy it in a way that you can never get from a GT3
Marv,

Thanks for the response & comparison. I've always loved the 2004/05 GT3. If I ever sold my 993 C4S, it would be for this Porsche. I love the fact that it has old school technology & soul in it. Although I really like the look of the 997 GT3, the "feel" of the 996 GT3 suits my style a lot better.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:48 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,041 Likes on 1,794 Posts

Originally Posted by TomF
Do I miss the 993? Heck yeah. Do I regret selling it? No. Will I get another 993? As soon as I can and when it is financially prudent to do so. I needed to put my family first, that is why I sold the car.

Besides, it went to a great Rennlister who is enjoying the heck out of it!
Exactly! I'm in the same boat Tom...sold both 993s to invest in my company. There will always be another p-car. Besides, being p-carless can only make you appreciate the next one even more.

What would you like to know?

I traded a '96 993 Coupe for my GT3.

Do I miss the 993? Well here is what I miss:

1. It was paid for!
2. Nice looks. We think the 993 has the best lines.
3. Build quality.

What do I think of the GT3?

1. The drive train is to die for. It has all the power of the 993 Turbo, but it feels raw and more like a real sports car. Engine screams when you hit 7,000 to 8,200 RPM. Heavy clutch and lots of noises to remind you what this car was built for.
2. The chassis is so rigid that you can't believe how flexible other cars are.
3. Handles insanely great. You can push it much further than anything I have driven before and it never lies to you about what it is doing. Grip exceeds expectations.
4. Bulletproof drive train. I run this car every day in all weather and nothing phases it. Yes, I do take good care of it, but it never fails me ever.
5. More rattles than a nursery school! Did I mention that the chassis is stiff? The suspension is very compliant, yet firm and I have no issues with the ride, but the 996 interior has a number of places where things rattle and buzz.
6. Interior build quality is a paradox. On one hand everything is so solid that you think the doors, dash, and controls were carved out of a single block billet aluminum. The interior door handles simply do not flex. Nothing feels flimsy when you wrench on it, yet it seems to lack something compared to the 993 and why all the rattles?
7. Exterior looks are ho-hum, but the sex is so good when you drive that you really don't care. It's not that it is bad, but form really follows function in the body lines and so some of the sexy curves were nixed for low CD and top end performance.
8. Closing the doors is also a paradox compared to the 993. The 993 has a reassuring clunk that feels like a solid oak door on an air tight trunk. It just feels like closing a bank vault door. The 996 feels almost cheap by comparison, yet the door and its structural integrity with the chassis are better than the 993. However, it sure doesn't feel that way.
9. The GT3 doesn't have the old world charm of the 993. Just as well. I think the 993 was a car that Porsche broke the molds after its last run and that is a fitting tribute to a great car that deserves its own legend as a classic.

If I could have the best of both worlds it would be a GT3 and a 993 Cab. I think the 993 Cab would be a great example of a real modern sports car without the fat that makes it a luxury car, but enough creature comforts so that you can enjoy the ride top down. The GT3 would be a great track car and a great let's get down and dirty drive it like you stole it ride on the street. Power is seductive and adding unflappable handling to power with a raw business only car just makes it all the better. The GT3 is really one of the best driver's cars Porsche has ever made.

That being said, there is still a place for the 993. From a GT3 perspective, think of the 993 as more like a 356. The 356 and the 993 just ooze style. You can enjoy it in a way that you can never get from a GT3
Great write-up Marv, thanks for sharing...bang on. The question is, what if you were comparing a 993RS and a 996GT3?

Originally Posted by 911
Marv,

Thanks for the response & comparison. I've always loved the 2004/05 GT3. If I ever sold my 993 C4S, it would be for this Porsche. I love the fact that it has old school technology & soul in it. Although I really like the look of the 997 GT3, the "feel" of the 996 GT3 suits my style a lot better.
Hey Rich...long time no see...
Old 10-22-2008, 01:59 AM
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 35 Posts

Louis!

Hey, man, how have you been? I know, I haven't been here in a while - been very busy with work and my daughter's soccer games.

What are you driving these days? I hope you are doing well!

Rich
Old 10-22-2008, 07:52 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,058 Likes on 568 Posts

Louis,

I never drove a 993 RS, so I can't compare. Does anyone have a "Ring" time for that car? At least that would tell you quantitatively what it does.

Qualitative is another thing altogether.

Marv
Old 10-22-2008, 08:53 AM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't sold a 993 yet, but I did sell my 84 Targa when we bought a new house. I didn't regret that because it wasn't "the" car, but it made me realize my dream of owning a Porsche was realistic and I wouldn't be disappointed.

I've thought about selling mine due to a great deal of job insecurity at the moment, but in the end, I haven't officially listed it yet and I'm driving it more than my declared DD because I love it so much. I will regret selling it when I do I'm sure because she seems very well sorted out and you never know what you're really getting into on another.

That said, you seem to have nearly the ultimate 993... I'd drive her. I drive mine to work, everyone knows it and if they make snide comments, I also point out it's cheaper than what they are driving.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:47 AM
climbasky
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 97 993 cab that I sold in 99 with just 2000 to 3000 miles on it. Yes, I did miss it, but the personal reasons were too compelling. Then I bought the 89 speedster, loved it when I got it and still do. And now I have a 96 993 C4S. And this car, I must say, gives me all that I was missing and then some. Life moves on, we do what we need to do, and the future, though uncertain, remains promising as long as we continue to enjoy the present. So drive what you have, and enjoy!
Old 10-22-2008, 04:30 PM
MDamen
Pro

I'm falling into the "life's too short" category. I fill the car with soccer gear, soccer players, softball gear and whatever else it takes to get through life with kids. I actually have teenagers sitting in the back seats on a regular basis. I could find a way to "save" the 993 and drive the SUV but that's not what life is about. On the last trip home with me and three soccer players we decided the next 993 needs to be a cab! Life is for living. Live it with your family and your Porsche.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:47 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 701 Likes on 348 Posts

Well, along the lines of a 993 vs a GT3...

The other day, my wife says to me "You know? I was thinking....what if we got a GT3 for our 20th anniversary?" (which is 2.5 years away). I said "but what would be do about having a Cab?" to which she said " well, we could just get a lift in the garage and keep both, since with all the miles it's probably not worth much anyway, or just use the 914 as our "cab".

Gotta love her...
Old 10-22-2008, 05:42 PM
User 4621
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 326 Posts

I don't regret it but I do miss having a 993. Objectively my 997S is better in every way, fast as a 993TT but has 2wd and handles better than a 993 ever could. However, there is just something about a 993 that speaks to me.

My old 993 ended up in Arrwin's good hands. I'm in the negotiation phase for a new 997S PDK to use as a DD (amazing car!), but I'm still searching for a perfect 993 C2S to store in the garage and rub with a microfiber cloth on weekends. I like the 997S better once it's moving and I like the 993 better standing still. I guess I'll never get it out of my blood, and wouldn't want to anyway.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:18 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Louis,

I never drove a 993 RS, so I can't compare. Does anyone have a "Ring" time for that car? At least that would tell you quantitatively what it does.

Qualitative is another thing altogether.

Marv
No, but my for-all-practical-purposes RS (and then some) clone performs at least equally with any number of modified 996 GT3's or even a stock 997RS at whatever track out here. Obviously I'm calling Mooty out here.......

I almost bought a GT3 about a year ago. I really wanted to like it. Would have had to unload the C4S; not for financial reasons, but for sheer number of cars reasons. But I couldn't. Is it quicker on the street? Sure. But where the hell can you drive it much faster than any pedestrian car. (Call me conservative now that I'm middle aged.) So off to the track. But I've already got the above-mentioned car, plus the RSA. Not to mention the non-Porsche stuff.

So I get why you guys look that way for an "upgrade". But a 993 (or 964) will get you 98% of the performance for half the price. All you're really getting is a couple of seconds better acceleration. (Mooty can pull me 4 car lengths down the front straight at Thunderhill with the 997RS; I've pretty much caught back up through T2. Realize that car is 100% stock, except for tires.) And until you're supremely brave, a good 964/993 is just flat-out more rounded for the beginner/intermediate doing a few track days a year.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:45 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,041 Likes on 1,794 Posts

Rich: Unfortunately 993-less for now but managed to go through a few 993s since I joined the list. It's been two months since I sold my last car and I'm starting to Jones for another. I understand busy and it's good to see you around...your avatar always made me lust after a black WB.

Marv: Not sure but I believe a well built and tuned 3.8 can put out low to mid 300's and 2,800lbs is not difficult to achieve.

Bob: She's a keeper!

Pete: Couldn't agree more. I've been contemplating "upgrading" to a 6 or 7GT3 but can't seem to shake the 993 fever. These cars are so special.

Ken: Thanks for your post. Though the 6GT3 is very compelling in many ways, something just keeps me from giving it serious consideration. The 7GT3 is stunning but still lacks the character of the 993. Funny you mention RSA as I've been looking at that as an option or possibly building an RS clone. I think this is my personal sweet spot.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:36 PM
s2racer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

thanks, marv....great writeup. just what i was looking for. it's still somewhat out of financial range, but nice to know the options.

marc
Old 10-22-2008, 09:58 PM
CalgaryGT3
Advanced

Originally Posted by TMc993
As an old guy who's done raising kids, I'm going to pose a rhetorical question...

Is it possible that some or all of the urge to sell your 993 is related to some guilt/agnst over having a young family that requires the bulk of your attention/resources while you hold onto what can be considered a "luxury?"

If you can honestly answer "No!" to that question, then you need to do as stated above and drive the car as much as possible until you decide whether or not you want to keep it.

If, however, you answer "Yes" or even "Maybe," then you need to take an honest look at your family situation and determine whether selling the 993 will make it better or worse.

Family responsibilities are tricky deals...I've known guys who have hobbies but get the guilts so bad about leaving their families that they can't enjoy themselves. I've also known guys who gave up hobbies or possessions (Cars, boats, motorcycles) for family reasons, then essentially blamed their families for not being able to enjoy something they liked. Neither is good for the person or their family.

If family, and not just the car, is the issue, you need to resolve that completely before you act.

Just MHO.

Good luck,
Terry
Great post!

Quick Reply: Anyone regret selling their 993