Sponsored by: DashLynx

Suggestion for Lift owners

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 12:00 AM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts
Default Suggestion for Lift owners

I always park my 993 underneath the lift; well almost always. When I did the Bilstein install I swapped places and placed my M5 underneath. I took a break from the install, rushed to pick up my son from football practice and rushed back to get back to work on the 993. When I opened the M5's trunk to get the football gear out, I let it go like I always do and BAM, my trunk hit the metal brace of the lift. Just a quick reminder to me that the Porsche sits lower than the M5.

I just had to stand and look for a second; couldn't believe how stupid that was. With my son there, I couldn't use the words I wanted and in typical 10year old fashion, my son says sometimes bad things just happen. That sort of took the sting out and I realized he was right. Fortunately, one of the best dent removal companies in town was able to completely remove the dent for $100. I didn't even want to drive the car with the big dent on the trunk.

Anyway, after the fact I've gone back and fitted large bumpers on the lift at strategic locations to prevent this from happening again. So that no one else will have to go through this unnecessarily, I thought I'd suggest taking a look at your setup and see where an accident could occur. For some it may be a door is close to the legs, for others (like me), the problem is the trunk lid. Just think what if.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:07 AM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know, thanks!–a lot
We should have a whole thread of dumb little things that we all have done over the years, because you don't think about little things like this normally–but if someone had put the thought in your head you could have avoided it...

Here is an example. My father (a physician) told me once of two separate incidents he had heard from colleagues, of people who had slipped while loading or unloading their dishwashers and fallen on the cutlery basket and severely injured themselves. As children we were always taught to put the knives in the basket blade down for this reason.
(I couldn't think of an auto related example off the top of my head)

Quick Reply: Suggestion for Lift owners