Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to Fast Track to POC Time Trials? 30 Days sound good?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 01:12 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 352 Posts
Smile Want to Fast Track to POC Time Trials? 30 Days sound good?

If you are living in SoCal, the Central Coast and NorCal, you may be "jonesing" for some track time...you maybe even want to do a Time Trial? Would you believe you could be on the track doing your first Time Trial student by this December?

Stage 1, join the Porsche Owners Club (POC). It is really quite simple. Go to the POC web site: www.porscheownersclub.org and download a membership application. It's $95.00 a year. If you run an event in 2008, as a PCA member, the $95.00 1st years membership will be waived.

Start or resume your driving career in the POC Short Track Series. This fall, the STS series is doing the California Speedway infield as well as the Streets of Willow.

It takes three (3) STS one (1) day events and one (1) one (1) day clinic to earn a STS License. Some or part of the required events can be waived upon petition. Here is the quickest way to earn your license:

November 8-9: Streets of Willow - STS Driver's Clinic & STS Event 7

November 15-16: California Speedway (Infield Course) - STS Season Finale - Events 8 & 9

You'd get the clinic in on November 8th an event on the 9th...than out to Cali Speedway for your last 2 required one (1) day events, earning your STS license in a month. The icing on the cake? With a POC STS license, you will be eligible to participate in our December 6 -7 Time Trial as a student. Now how is that for progress? Suggest start selling this program to your wife early; she wants you to be happy, right? This could be an early Christmas present!

Send me a PM if you want more details.

Last edited by Martin S.; 09-18-2008 at 08:00 PM.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:52 AM
avidtest
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do this! There's little point in owning a driver's car if, ahem, you don't drive it (the way it was meant to be driven).

I see so many older 911's and newer 996's, 997's and more recently Cayman/Boxsters, it sure would be nice to have more 993's out there playing.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:26 PM
hkate
Advanced

Best bang for the buck I know. How else can you get all that carbon off the valves? I did last year's fall STS clinic and now have my time trial license. Big thumbs up to the POC!
Old 09-18-2008, 02:04 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Smile

HKATE

Come on out to Buttonwillow this weekend, small run groups, great weather, mid-80's for the high!
Old 09-18-2008, 04:11 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 895 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
Send me a PM if you want more details.
in the RL parlance,

PM sent

cheers

Craig
Old 09-18-2008, 07:04 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 99 Posts

I'll send Martin a PM, but I'm wondering if all of this is only $95 to join POC? How much more for everything else I wonder...?
Old 09-18-2008, 07:58 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Smile POC Dues

For 2008, we have a promotion going on...at your first POC event, the annual membership is provided at no charge.

The charges for the one (1) day events at Streets are about $135 a day. I'll get the exact # and post it.

For Time Trials, the charge depends on the venue. As an example, (See the enclosed pf file) this weekends Buttonwillow event, the cost is as follows:
Base Entry (Includes Saturday Dinner) $350
Time Trial Fee Saturday $25
Time Trial Fee Sunday $25

Note: At every event there is the opportunity for volunteers to earn POC Bucks. These Bucks can be used to off set up to 1/2 of the Base Entry and Time Trial fees. This way a $400 event can become a $200 event.

There is a separate Time Trial each day. In addition, there is the Buttonwillow 100 Enduro for Cup Licensed Racers @ no charge. +++ I will be bringing many cases of wine to accompany the dinner.

Buttonwillow is a SCCA CalClub track. It is very technical an well maintained. There are some very quick sections...the NASCAR Turn, zooming through the S turns...great track in my opinion, one of my favorites.

Here is the kicker...the host hotel in Bakersfield is $79 a night, the site of the dinner. If you want to stay on the cheap, Motel 6 in Buttonwillow is 1/2 of that price, and the rooms aren't that bad....the smell of the feedlot next door can be a bit tacky at times, NH3 anyone???
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Buttonwillow.pdf (90.7 KB, 178 views)
Old 11-25-2008, 02:22 AM
TH996
Advanced

Martin,

I followed your advice, participated at the Streets of Willow and California Speedway events. Completing the STS license was a great experience and I can't recommend the POC highly enough.

Unfortunately a scheduling conflict precludes me from being a TT student at WSIR in December. I'll definitely be back in the new year however.

-TH
Old 11-25-2008, 12:08 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 895 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by TH996
Martin,

I followed your advice, participated at the Streets of Willow and California Speedway events. Completing the STS license was a great experience and I can't recommend the POC highly enough.

Unfortunately a scheduling conflict precludes me from being a TT student at WSIR in December. I'll definitely be back in the new year however.

-TH
Me too
I'm not convinced WSIR is the best place for my first TT experience and i just need to take a bit of a break prior to 09.

too bad we didn't have the chance to chat.

Buttonwillow with PCA this past weekend was very appealing, but 3 weeks in a row was too much time away from my bicycles

cheers

Craig
Old 11-25-2008, 01:43 PM
CornerCarver
Burning Brakes

When is something like this coming to the east coast?

Quick Reply: Want to Fast Track to POC Time Trials? 30 Days sound good?