Sponsored by: DashLynx

newbie with gauge questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 09:05 PM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default newbie with gauge questions

Loving this 993C4. Poor 944S hasn't seen the road in 3 weeks (maybe tomorrow).

C4 runs great - in those three weeks, there are three things about the gauges that don't seem right (searched some, asking anyway...):

1-break pressure light takes maybe a minute to turn off. Has been getting longer since I got the car, I think. Always does go off.

2-Oil temperature does reach the first white line (~8:00). Even when it's hot out, in traffic, with the bottom tray on.

3-Oil level gauge is always in the read (read after idling for ~1min). Dip stick read in middle of twist (read after 1 minute of idle also).

So, what do you think?
Old 09-17-2008, 12:10 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the oil level gauge, go by your dipstick. Sounds like your good there.
chuck
Old 09-17-2008, 12:21 AM
b5audia4
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My poor 944S has seen limited duties too ever since I picked up the 993 couple of months ago.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:56 AM
95C4VanIsle
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by csertich
On the oil level gauge, go by your dipstick. Sounds like your good there.
chuck
+1. If the reading is easy for you, car is at normal operating temperatures, idling for thirty seconds on level ground.

I still can't read my dipstick accurately (age related eyes) but my guage seems to be right on. If the guage appears low I can refer to the dipstick to show low level readings.

Brake pressure light should definetly go off after the car is started, and could be a real problem if activates while driving (low brake fluid, or one of two braking circuits may have failed). According to owners manual.

Can't help otherwise but I am sure others will contribute.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:11 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

I can help...
1. Your brakes are not vacuum controlled, it's hydraulic, you should be able to hear the pump going on. Most of the time, once you get over 20mph it goes out. It can be on for a bit.
2. Mine runs the same. Now take it out to some aggressive roads & get it in the upper ranges, the temp will go up. In bad stop & go it will go over the line, & even doing Auto-X it doesn't go much past the line.
3. Get the car hot, & sit on level ground for at least 30 sec. Mine will do the same, then once it's hot, at idle the gauge will go up to about the middle to 11 o-clock area. When cold it will stay at the bottom.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:58 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gtroth
1-break pressure light takes maybe a minute to turn off. Has been getting longer since I got the car, I think. Always does go off.

2-Oil temperature does reach the first white line (~8:00). Even when it's hot out, in traffic, with the bottom tray on.

3-Oil level gauge is always in the read (read after idling for ~1min). Dip stick read in middle of twist (read after 1 minute of idle also).

So, what do you think?
1. Pretty standard as it has to build up some pressure for that version of the system (hydralic, not vacuum. The C4, C4S, turbo share this feature). However, mine started taking longer and longer, but eventually going off...then we tracked it down to being the brake pressure accumulator. After replacement, the light started going out in <30 sec. Unfortunately, an expensive part...$400-$500 as I recall...ugh!

3. You have to get it really warmed up. My ~15 mile drive to/from work often does NOT even do it (mainly highway, so cruising in 6th. Or if I'm coming home late in the evening after sunset and the temps are cooler (San Diego translation: cooler=55-65 degrees-ish ). Take her out for a good run for 30 min and see if the gauge then moves (on level ground after 1 or 2 min).

Cheers,
Old 09-17-2008, 11:07 PM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great - thanks!

1 - break pressure light - goes off before I get out of the driveway so sounds like I'm ok. A little concerned that it seems to be persisting longer and longer...

2 - oil temp - ok, so not too unusual to indicate that cool.

3 - Oil level - drove it 8 hours straight and would not rise above read after idling for a while. Also, been driving it 38 miles twice a day at 70~80 mph, same reading. Confident in my dipstick reading. Gauge or sender must be wonky.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:03 AM
travanx
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The gauge for the oil level should go to the middle at full heat on level ground. I was shown how this works by my mechanic and it always has done that. Though he said that he would mess around with my gauge level based on his oil change and dipstick reading if I ever wanted.

Your oil might be a quart or less low if it doesnt read in the middle at full temp. I think my car is burning about 1 quart every 1500-2000 miles.

Quick Reply: newbie with gauge questions