Cars sound sexy??

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 01:04 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Cars sound sexy??

This from an investment banking firm that follows insurance stocks (Ferris Baker Watts):
-------------------------------------------
Ditch the Prius
A recent study conducted by the British Insurance Group Hiscox proved what many had long
suspected, women get turned on by exotic sports cars. In the study, a panel of men and women
were asked to listen to the sound of different engine revs ranging from Maseratis, Lamborghinis
and Ferraris to econo boxes like the VW Polo. After listening to the revs, the researchers
measured the amount of testosterone, a measure of arousal, in each subject’s saliva. The
researchers found that all subjects showed higher testosterone revs from the exotic sports cars, but
the increase from women was “off the charts” relative to the increase in men. Notably, women
responded the most to the Maserati, whereas men’s response was best to the Lambo. As for the
econo boxes? Most listeners showed no discernable increase and in fact, listeners to the
aforementioned VW Polo actually showed a testosterone decrease. The bottom line, if everyone
drove a Polo we might save the earth, but there’d soon be no one left to enjoy it.
-----------------------------------
So, how come there aren't more women at the track? Maybe its the noise restrictions?
Old 09-15-2008, 01:50 PM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting study.

I wonder what the margin for error is, given that the Maserati did the best?
Old 09-15-2008, 01:53 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Sounds like a little bit of truth sprinkled with a load of BS. It's made absolutley no difference with
my wife, that's for sure.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:00 PM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder how the women in the study would react to the sound of a slot machine jackpot ???
Old 09-15-2008, 03:07 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,005 Likes on 1,777 Posts

Maserati has one of the most intoxicating exhausts I've ever heard. Interesting that I met my GF while I had my GranSport.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:36 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Car surveys state that Porsche owners are more likely to cheat on their partners than any other car owner. I think this may be a case of having more opportunity to cheat, rather than just their drivers being manipulative, deceptive bastards."

"I suspect that is more likely that daft women are just more attracted to men with fancy cars, rather than the possibility of Porsche owners being drop-dead gorgeous. Let's face it; a man in a gleaming Boxster is more likely to turn your head than a lesser mortal in a yellow Ford Cortina."
Old 09-15-2008, 05:46 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's an interesting study but I don't think it works that way in real life. The sound may get the testosterone up as women fanticize about some hot guy in a sports car, only to have that fantasy crash when they realize it's only an old, overweight bald guy (not that there are any of those here) in the car. It's the same principle as the **** phone line, the fantasy works until the caller realizes who's really on the other end of the line (not that I have any experience with that mind you).
Old 09-15-2008, 05:50 PM
Leucadia
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder if Maserati funded the research...

My wife is at best indifferent, and at worst annoyed by the sound of the 993.

Quick Reply: Cars sound sexy??