Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Focal or other component speaker sizing

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 10:41 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

@ flatsix911: Do you have some pictures of your custom made enclosures or measurements because I will go sown that route, too.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:58 PM
zone5
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know of a good stereo guy in San Diego?
Old 04-11-2009, 06:14 AM
tankertoad
Instructor

If you don't mind driving up to LA/OC, there's a fair bit of 993 knowledge/experience. Personally, I used Jamey Rawlings. He put a system in my 993 that made me giggle - it sounded that good. I only had (car's gone) five speakers in the car - a 6.5 mid and tweet in each door (stock locations) and a custom sub enclosure in the passenger footwell with a single 7" sub. The imaging was smack in the middle of the windshield and the clarity and bass was fantastic. Granted, while driving, it merely sounded "good" (the older 911s are not acoustically friendly with wind/road/engine noise) but listening with the car off was sublime and I often did just that (while wondering if my battery would hold up - which it did). Jamey has a location in West LA and near Pasadena and will tell it like it is.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:37 AM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

flatsix:
The interior waveguide is discarded and a custom enclosure is fabricated
How much would you like donated to Rennwish to get you to remove your door pockets and shoot some pictures of the enclosure?
Old 04-11-2009, 01:05 PM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rkb
flatsix:

How much would you like donated to Rennwish to get you to remove your door pockets and shoot some pictures of the enclosure?
This is like the 3rd time we have asked for pictures...lol
Old 04-11-2009, 05:27 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by e9stibi
@ flatsix911: Do you have some pictures of your custom made enclosures or measurements because I will go down that route, too.
Sorry guys, the installation was done years ago and I don't have any photos ...
I am sure that Rod Birch or other audio experts can provide detailed instructions...
Old 04-11-2009, 07:07 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

This is like the 3rd time we have asked for pictures...lol
Sorry guys, the installation was done years ago and I don't have any photos
That's why I was trying bribery! (With the $ going for a good cause, of course...)

You have exactly the speakers I am considering (or the new Focal 165krx3) and I'd love to see what/ how they mounted all 3 speakers in the doors.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:32 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Looks like someone needs to it by himself. I plan the project with 3-way MB Quarts not later than next winter and I will make photos. However, would be great if someone does it before me.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:54 PM
SGeorgiadis
3rd Gear

I have Bose system on '08 987 Boxster - Owned just 3 weeks from almost new. Experiencing clipping type "distortion" from rear active bass sub-wolfer enclosure between seats - even at low volume (almost seems like a contact problem). I suspect switching amp problem as sub-wolfer has its own individual 100 watt unit. Don't think it is blown speaker(s) as new and not turned up very loud. Local Porsche dealer says very unlikely to be blown speaker as not usually susceptible to this (very little history of such problem). Any ideas about fix? Waiting for local Porsche dealer re warranty feedback at the moment.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:08 PM
hotrodc4s
Former Vendor

Default 993 door speaker upgrades, what fits

Rod Birch chiming in here:
The Nokia hifi equipped 993 has a small tweeter in the small pod up high on the door panel, 'same as the non-hifi equipped 993. The tweeter pod attaches to a flat round piece of metal that's riveted to the door panel. There is no mounting depth behind this area, it's really glass and window regulator assembly. Some tweeters will fit inside the factory tweeter pod/housing, but only small tweeters, such as the TN45, TN47 by Focal, some smaller tweeters by other brands as well. I think I was misquoted, I said that no tweeter from a nicer set of speakers, such as the Dynaudio, Focal (such as TN51, TN52 models), Hertz HSK or MLK models, would fit in the factory tweeter housing.
The Hifi equipped cars are nice in that you can mount one of the tweeters from these nicer sets of 2-way speakers in the area behind the larger grill on the lower door panel. I don't recommend trying to reuse the Nokia enclosure that resides behind the big cover. It's an ambitious effort, and though I'm a loyal a Nokia phone customer, I think they should stay out of the car speaker, amplifier, and enclosure design business. Removing this Nokia speaker enclosure exposes the more common speaker "cutout" on the door panel, one that easily accomodates a 6.5" midwoofer. Now you've got space for the 6.5" midwoofer, a tweeter in the area above it, and the crossover network. Once the door panel cover/grill is reinstalled, it all looks exactly the same, it only sounds 100x better.
That enclosure that I recommend removing can be saved for later, in case the eventual buyer of your car insists on the ability to return everything to completey original. If you want to mount speakers to this factory enclosure instead, and experiment with the ported design (and you can find a 3-way set of speakers with a tweeter that'll fit inside the factory tweeter pod) you're still looking for the sizes that will fit this Nokia enclosure. Keep in mind that the largest driver in the enclosure is a 5.25", I'm not sure how someone can get a 6.5" or 7" from any speaker set into the 5.25" opening/mount. Make sure you see pictures of what someone has done before attempting it. For a speaker to sound good it needs to be mounted rigidly and the back(wave) of the speaker must be isolated from the front of the speaker, any gaps around the speaker, or too small of an enclosure will noticeably compromise efficiency and sound quality, most notably midbass and lower midrange. I've seen people do funny stuff in 996 doors, tossing the factory 5.25" speaker enclosure (which I think is essential for good sound, along with the correct size speaker!) for a hokey home or shop crafted "baffle" board that does not comprise an enclosure or isolate the rear of the speaker from the front. This is 2 steps backwards...
Anyway, my $.02!!!
-Rod
Old 05-10-2009, 10:04 AM
e9stibi
Drifting

Rod t- thanks for chiming in with expert advice. I will go exactly the route you recommend and will get rid of the enclosure. One question I have is about "dynamiting". There are a lot of recommendations out here beginning from "cover every blank sheet metal" to "put a plate behind the mid woofer". I am not looking for perfection but to not want to miss out on dampening. What do you recommend as a minimum to do?

Thanks - Erik
Old 05-10-2009, 10:23 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rod,

I'd also really appreciate your insights on aiming of the speakers. Presuming a 2-way Focal component set, where do you aim the right mid and tweeter relative to the line from the speaker to the driver's head (a vice versa)?

Directly on axis? Off axis?

Thanks much,

Rick
Old 05-10-2009, 12:48 PM
zone5
Burning Brakes

Rod,
Unless I'm mistaken, you do not believe that there are any 3-way speaker sets currently available that can be mounted in the doors of hi-fi cars, including placing the tweeter in the area where the stock tweeter resides. If I'm wrong, please correct me.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:34 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by hotrodc4s
I think I was misquoted, I said that no tweeter from a nicer set of speakers, such as the Dynaudio, Focal (such as TN51, TN52 models), Hertz HSK or MLK models, would fit in the factory tweeter housing.
Thanks for clarifying this, Rod. That's what I thought.

The Hifi equipped cars are nice in that you can mount one of the tweeters from these nicer sets of 2-way speakers in the area behind the larger grill on the lower door panel. I don't recommend trying to reuse the Nokia enclosure that resides behind the big cover.
I am actually re-using this enclosure in my install. A 5.25 woofer goes into lower hole, a TN-52 will probably go into middle hole.

Now the question. I have a pair of very small BA tweets that can go into the OEM "pod" enclosure on the door. Should i also put them in to help imaging? I know it's not conventional to put two sets of tweeters in, but I heard from several people that they do that - the lower tweet for frequency, upper tweet for imaging.

I tried a rough cut. It sounded pretty decent to me. I hacked up the nokia's middle speaker to cut the plastic front "frame" from the rest of the basket and mounted TN-52 to that frame. What do you think, should I go with that install? Can both tweets be driven from one "Hi" output of a Focal crossover?

Quick Reply: Focal or other component speaker sizing