Sponsored by:

Power steering fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 10:49 AM
xcusemi
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power steering fluid change

Hi, I did the search and could not be able to find how to change the fluid. I also chk on p-car.com and it did not have that procedure. Can anyone direct me to the proper page/site of how to do the power steering fluid change. Thanks in advance!
Old 05-10-2009, 01:23 PM
zone5
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Apparently the power steering fluid in our cars is "lifetime." There's no mention of it in the maintenance schedule.

Most of the DIYers on this board are pretty vigilant about fluid changes -- anyone mess with their power steering fluid???
Old 05-10-2009, 03:39 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

I used a bulb syringe to slurp out as much fluid as possible from the PS reservoir, then refilled with the correct fluid, and drove the car for a few days to circulate the fluid. I repeated this process several times, until I had used up most of the can of fluid. I think this dilutes the old fluid with new, and is the best way short of removing one of the lines from the PS rack, then letting the pump run to pump out all the old fluid.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:09 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

mine leaks enough that it gets changed at least once a year on its own
Old 05-10-2009, 07:24 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyT
I used a bulb syringe to slurp out as much fluid as possible from the PS reservoir, then refilled with the correct fluid, and drove the car for a few days to circulate the fluid. I repeated this process several times, until I had used up most of the can of fluid. I think this dilutes the old fluid with new, and is the best way short of removing one of the lines from the PS rack, then letting the pump run to pump out all the old fluid.
Seems a very, very simple way to do it.

Andreas
Old 05-10-2009, 09:28 PM
simpsoap
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Seems a very, very simple way to do it.

Andreas
+1

Andy
Old 05-11-2009, 11:42 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are **** and have a lot of time on your hands there is another way to "sort of" completely flush the system. Jack the front of the car up and remove the front undertray and disconnect the hydraulic lines that goes to the power steering rack. Let it drain, and you can run some fluids through the reservoir to flush out any old fluid. At some point you should jack the rear of the car up so for few minuts to make sure everything drain out. Bolt everything back up and fill reservoir and run the car for couple minutes and check fluid level, turn the steering wheel lock to lock and check fluid level. Do not over fill, fill to the low point on the dip stick.

Quick Reply: Power steering fluid change