Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AAAARRRRRRRRRGHHHH Motor Meister

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 12:06 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Hasn't Pano accepted their $$$ for years?
Old 09-07-2008, 12:54 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 250 Posts

While I don’t have anything to add regarding MM.... I feel compelled to jump in on the comments around the expectation that Internet Brands would allow them to sponsor.... If MM is willing to pony up the bucks to sponsor and support this great site.. Wonderful, its only good for me (us).

I sincerely hope they do not get in the business of censoring sponsors or members participation, their job is simply to be a provider and let us (the community) work it all out...
Old 09-07-2008, 02:01 PM
samsnead
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think Pano dropped them.

I guess I have a different take on things, one could argue that Rennlist is promoting MM to the porsche community, and encouraging members of the community to use their services. A newbie to the Porsche world could fall into their trap without doing some due diligence.

What makes this site an unbelievable place are the members and their willingness to help one another; this effectively is the product that creates the draw. Professionals with a wealth of experience willingly take time out of their day to help others, as do well heeled amateurs. I have benefitted from this, and have tried to help others when I can. We support the site through membership dues, and now that they are increasing the number of sponsors it does not benefit the members, it simply increases profits.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:00 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by samsnead
I think Pano dropped them.

I guess I have a different take on things, one could argue that Rennlist is promoting MM to the porsche community, and encouraging members of the community to use their services. A newbie to the Porsche world could fall into their trap without doing some due diligence.

What makes this site an unbelievable place are the members and their willingness to help one another; this effectively is the product that creates the draw. Professionals with a wealth of experience willingly take time out of their day to help others, as do well heeled amateurs. I have benefitted from this, and have tried to help others when I can. We support the site through membership dues, and now that they are increasing the number of sponsors it does not benefit the members, it simply increases profits.
+1!
Old 09-07-2008, 08:22 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jscott82
I sincerely hope they do not get in the business of censoring sponsors or members participation, their job is simply to be a provider and let us (the community) work it all out...
"Censoring"?
This is a business... we shouldn't mix "free speech" with a private business, IMO.
I would be perfectly OK with RL (Internet Brands) refusing to allow a biz like MM to advertise.
However, I am with you... IB can take their money. Funny, this is a very unlikely place for their advertising to pay off. A quick search would kill any opportunity they might have seen.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:09 PM
fullbooker
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My mechanic has also had serious issues with their so-called rebuilt engines, etc. I think the MM business model is to see what they can get away with and that more customers will just accept their BS work and avoid any legal confrontation. When customers do push back, MM has their "experts" to back up their practices.
Anyway, if it were up to me, I would refuse their business.
Phil
Old 09-08-2008, 02:55 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by Floodj
Some background please, did you have a bad experience with Motor Meister?
Fortunately not, there is so much bad PR regarding them, i will choose to not have the opportuntiy to do biz with them.

While
IMO, if one chooses to not accept an advertiser, (for whatever reason), is not censorship. It's just following ones mores.

cheers

Craig
Old 09-08-2008, 03:52 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 250 Posts

Maybe censor was the worong word..... I just dont want some bean counter in IB desciding what is fit or not fit to be advertised or posted on this site... Its the diversity and banter that make it so great. If you start censoring (er, limiting) what can be advertised, what is the formula? One bad post? 2? 10? 100?

I mean how much BS has been posted here? There is so much bad/inacurate advice in these threads, but I still dont want "some guy" editing it down to only what is accurate and acceptable... Its up to us to sift through it all and make our own descisions... Thats what make this place so great... Just like this thread, the good natured banter... This would make a great evening conversation over a beer or 10.....

Although i agree, if I were MM, this would be the last place I would advertise... But maybe the old adage, "keep ones enemies close" applies here....
Old 09-08-2008, 04:25 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Thank you Internet Brands....you'll bury Rennlist within a year.
+1 ****ing hate this kind of advertising. If it stays, I won't be renewing.

While I don’t have anything to add regarding MM.... I feel compelled to jump in on the comments around the expectation that Internet Brands would allow them to sponsor.... If MM is willing to pony up the bucks to sponsor and support this great site.. Wonderful, its only good for me (us)...
If MM & others are paying for this what are we, paying members paying for?

If I pay for this site, I don't need to see ads, especially from places that can **** me up if I'm a newbie.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:48 PM
Jay Karolyi

Here's my MotorMeister thread collection. All of these stories would make quite a website if someone would take the time/expense to do one:

The $20,000 3.6 (actually more like 3.4) big bore upgrade to a 3.2 without upgrading the 3.2 crank!:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=266642

The complete 930 3.3 turbo engine taken in trade (w/no core credit) for a 2.7 mag case with Zeniths and used parts:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=260544

The $20,000+ 2.7 rebuild which had to be done over by another shop:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...threadid=52202

The 934 mile engine, all leakdown at 70% or more:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=301218

More cringe-inducing experiences:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...ter#post365065
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=187022
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=254145
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showp...0&postcount=45
http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/...off0186445.htm
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showp...&postcount=280

Last edited by Jay Karolyi; 09-08-2008 at 05:19 PM.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:15 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
+1 $#%& hate this kind of advertising. If it stays, I won't be renewing.

If I pay for this site, I don't need to see ads, especially from places that can &%$ me up if I'm a newbie.
While I don't agree with the language I do agree with the sentiment.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:32 PM
Jay Karolyi

If it stays, I won't be renewing.

Those with these sentiment (minus the high school language) should email Rennlist Administration:

admin@rennlist.com

I was a Rennlist member for years...but note my status now. I do still check back here for info but refuse to be a paying member of an organization affiliated with MM. As soon as the ad is dropped I will pay up.

Maybe if enough people email them with cancellation notices they will take action. From a good source, subscriber outcry is the reason they were finally dropped by Panorama in January. They were dropped by Excellence awhile ago too.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:52 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe MM is looking for one last attempt at a big libel lawsuit to retire on. How deep are IB's pockets, anyway?
Old 09-08-2008, 05:56 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

+1 ****ing hate this kind of advertising. If it stays, I won't be renewing.

If I pay for this site, I don't need to see ads, especially from places that can **** me up if I'm a newbie.
Gotta agree, and I think the language used by Finn is a reflection of the quality of the 'business' involved.

In using the site today, I feel like a pimp taking advantage of a hooker who has sold herself out to the lowest of customers. Am I going to get gonorrhea from this? I feel so dirty....
Old 09-09-2008, 01:00 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jdistefa
Gotta agree, and I think the language used by Finn is a reflection of the quality of the 'business' involved...
Correct and apologies if my bad behavior pissed someone off.

Quick Reply: AAAARRRRRRRRRGHHHH Motor Meister