Sponsored by:

Please help me ID this mystery fluid behind the LF tire

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 12:51 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 321 Posts
Default Please help me ID this mystery fluid behind the LF tire

I was changing brake pads this evening and noticed a large puddle of fluid behind the LF tire that was mildly slippery and mostly clear. I took off part of the fender liner and revealed a small tube the size of a straw that was wet and, seemingly, leaking fluid. I'm assuming this is the AC compressor lubricant, yes? If yes or no, why is this stuff leaking from this small tube? No, I no longer use the AC in my car since the belt is no longer hooked up to the compressor.

Any help would be most appreciated!
Attached Images    

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 09-03-2008 at 09:47 AM.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:57 AM
RPW
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Overflow tube for the brake master cylinder.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:39 AM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts

Brake fluid. If you pushed the pistons back to get the new pads in place, you pushed some fluid out of the MC reservoir overflow tube.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:55 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

+1... you needed to remove some fluid to compensate for the new pads. Check your brake fluid level, it is probably still high... No biggie...
Old 09-03-2008, 09:16 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RPW
Overflow tube for the brake master cylinder.
+1

And please... don't let Andreas see these pictures.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:46 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Duh. Thanks, guys. Of course. I dumb.

I guess the fluid reservoir was high since, in over six years, I've never had this happen before.

I appreciate the help!!!!
Old 09-03-2008, 09:51 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Hi Mark
When you are bleeding your brakes, do you clamp off the overflow tube? If not, I would have thought you would have seen this fluid before (a lot).
I well remember the 1st time I bled my brakes; saw all this blue fluid leaking out of the front end of the 1984 coupe called the mechanic in a mild panic. Of course this was the night before a drive out to Watkins Glen and I assumed that I had done something horribly wrong.
My 993 has this tube semi-permanently clamped off.

Last edited by RickBetterley; 09-03-2008 at 09:52 AM. Reason: accuracy
Old 09-03-2008, 09:58 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Hi Mark
When you are bleeding your brakes, do you clamp off the overflow tube? If not, I would have thought you would have seen this fluid before (a lot).
I well remember the 1st time I bled my brakes; saw all this blue fluid leaking out of the front end of the 1984 coupe called the mechanic in a mild panic. Of course this was the night before a drive out to Watkins Glen and I assumed that I had done something horribly wrong.
Hey, Rick!

Yup, when I bleed the brakes, I do clamp the overflow tube. I've nver had to do it for a pad change, though. I guess my mechanic really topped off the reservoir.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:09 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Hi Mark
I had the same expensive experience... and, of course, car had to sit until I got another can of ATE Blue since they don't sell that stuff at the local autoparts store... learned the hard way... now I never forget to use these:

Old 09-03-2008, 10:18 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by cabrio993
+1

LOL!
Old 09-03-2008, 10:28 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cabrio993
+1

Why?? I just cleaned it!
Old 09-03-2008, 11:14 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Wachuko
I had the same expensive experience... and, of course, car had to sit until I got another can of ATE Blue since they don't sell that stuff at the local autoparts store... learned the hard way... now I never forget to use these:

I have several sets of these in many sizes, didnt know they were available via Sears. My Snap-On guy loves me

Anyhow, these are simply the best way to clamp-off something without doing damage to tubing etc.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:39 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
Anyhow, these are simply the best way to clamp-off something without doing damage to tubing etc.
+47050

Andreas
Old 09-03-2008, 12:32 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wachuko
I had the same expensive experience... and, of course, car had to sit until I got another can of ATE Blue since they don't sell that stuff at the local autoparts store... learned the hard way... [/IMG]
+2. That's why I just finished the update to the '96+ vented cap. Here's the TSB (thanks to Geolab, I expect.) It was pretty easy. The toughest part was fishing out that overflow line. It comes out up through the trunk, not down through the fender. My most helpful tips (not covered in the TSB) are to:

1) Invest the 3 minutes to take out the fender liner (then you "get to" clean it and hit it with silicone spray for good measure!) Then , you'll have nice access to everything.

2) Locate the one or two 1 cm wide zip ties and use diagonal cutters to carefully clip it off of the fatter, more important hose. It's important to do this before doing any pulling. Ask me how I know.

Then, with one hand pushing from the bottom and the other pulling from the trunk, the long line should come out pretty easily. Still holding on to mine, not sure why. I should put it with the engine tray...

Last edited by dcdude; 07-24-2014 at 02:54 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:20 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

it seams like you know it's brake fluid, so I'll move on...

Make sure you don't over fill the fluid! As soon, as you take it out to the track, it will start to come out the tube. Mine C4 did this pretty bad at the first Auto-X, & it freaked my co-driver & I out! Mine was only a little over the full line. Now it's just at, the full & no problems.

I think my fluid loss might have been from my Co-driver doing a nice AWD drift & the ABD going nuts to control it.

Quick Reply: Please help me ID this mystery fluid behind the LF tire