weight of MY02 vs. Italian Clones

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 02:38 PM
bobesser
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weight of MY02 vs. Italian Clones

All,

What is the weight difference between genuine Porsche MY02 wheels and the $500 a set Italian made e-bay clones?

Bob
Old 08-31-2008, 03:27 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 99 Posts

That's an interesting question. I, too, would love to know the answer.

Another question is would you want your $30K-$60K Porsche riding on $500 rims? Not that rims are important or anything....
Old 08-31-2008, 03:33 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

OTOH, if the quality is comparable (TUV vs DOT) and the only sacrifice is a few pounds, why pay the extra for BBS name?

all that aside, how was your date friday night?
Old 08-31-2008, 11:55 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think the $500 ebay ones are the Italian-made replicas. I think they're the super-cheapies from China. The Italian ones are made by MIM (and OEM wheel manufacturer for several European marques) and are TUV-approved. They're about $1,200 these days. I bought them a year ago for about $1K.

That said, if the MIM MY02's are actually selling for $500 -- then jeez, everyone should get a set, just for spares!
Old 09-01-2008, 01:12 AM
AX993
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah
I don't think the $500 ebay ones are the Italian-made replicas. I think they're the super-cheapies from China. The Italian ones are made by MIM (and OEM wheel manufacturer for several European marques) and are TUV-approved. They're about $1,200 these days. I bought them a year ago for about $1K.
I believe Noah is correct. The $500 ebay specials (or $1200 With tires) don't say made in Italy in the auction (I'm pretty sure they are made in China). When I've looked at the $1200 WHEELS withOUT tires, they state made in Italy in the auction. I wonder if the prices-with-tires are set to confuse buyers ?
Anyway, Id much rather send my money to the Italians than buy anything of a safety nature from China. Just my 2 cents,,
Old 09-01-2008, 01:28 AM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Kika
OTOH, if the quality is comparable (TUV vs DOT) and the only sacrifice is a few pounds, why pay the extra for BBS name?

all that aside, how was your date friday night?
Well, it's Sunday night and I'm still recovering. I guess that's a good sign, right?

Thanks for asking. We had a great night. Dinner at Mastro's and dancing/drinks til the wee hours of the morning. My head still hurts LOL.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:30 AM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Its not the price of the wheels....its the strength.

I don't know about you guys but I would not personally track the knock offs.

Think of it this way....whats it going to cost you when your wheel falls apart while doing a hard corner causing you to slam into a barrier?

Clones should be fine for street use but no hard driving. Even the guys who sell them will not suggest that they are track worthy.

My 2 cents....

AL
Old 09-01-2008, 02:11 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Speedyellow993

Think of it this way....whats it going to cost you when your wheel falls apart while doing a hard corner causing you to slam into a barrier?

Clones should be fine for street use but no hard driving. Even the guys who sell them will not suggest that they are track worthy.

My 2 cents....

AL
Sorry, but this is baseless superstition. If a wheel is TUV-approved and made by a high-end manufacturer (like MIM), there's no more risk to running it on the track than OEM. Can you cite a single example of a high-quality aftermarket wheel failing at the track? I've never heard of it happening, and I've spent my share of time at the track.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:29 AM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The $500 set are not the italian made I don't believe, like many others have said.

Honestly, just buy a set of curbed OEM MY02s and refinish them. I've got about 1200 in mine total (wheels, shipping, paint materials) and the satisfaction that I refinished them myself
Old 09-01-2008, 10:44 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Speedyellow993

My 2 cents....

AL
Originally Posted by Noah
Sorry, but this is baseless superstition. If a wheel is TUV-approved and made by a high-end manufacturer (like MIM), there's no more risk to running it on the track than OEM. Can you cite a single example of a high-quality aftermarket wheel failing at the track? I've never heard of it happening, and I've spent my share of time at the track.
YES! Twice.

First was a Cup 1 wheel break at Watkins Glen with the car (964) ending up about 6 inches from the blue guard rail. It was a Mille Miglia wheel, which cracked one of the five spokes and then the other four spokes cracked in half too. The can ended up sitting on the center section of the wheel with half of the five spokes still attached. The rear quarter panel didn't like it when the outer half of the wheel and the tire took leave of the car.

Second time was Mid-Ohio under braking at the end of the back straight. Same manufacturer, but a Cup II. Fortunately, there was more drama than damage in this one too.

I would be a little more careful when giving safety related advice for the track.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:55 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 591 Likes on 407 Posts

I've seen Borbets break on track too, but always w/ R rubber. I wouldn't use them.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:20 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

I am also going to jump on the bandwagon here. I have seen several aftermarket wheels (as well as OEM wheels) break. It has all been in old firehawk and world challenge racing. The firehawk wasnt even with race rubber. The loads a wheel takes on the track is huge. Especially with todays suspensions, tire compounds etc......some of the wheels that I have seen fail are VERY high quality and expensive ones. Basically they all can break. Also, the $500 ebay ones are made by keystone. I have seen them and they appear to be of very good quality. I would feel ok with them as long as you kept a close eye on them for cracks whenever you take them off and on. I feel the same way with ALL wheels that go to the track.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:50 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

It sounds like the Italian (not Chinese) TUV approved wheels would be fine for non track cars. Personally, I wouldn't want to use the Chinese wheels on my lawnmower but sometimes I don't have a choice anymore.

I would love to have one of the aftermarket TUV approved wheel mfgrs make a Cayenne GTS style wheel in 20". There is so little choice in 21" rubber and when it's Porsche approved it's expensive! There's a far bigger (and cheaper) selection in 20" rubber.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:33 PM
bobesser
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even the ones that do not say Italian are TUV, DOT, etc approved.

Bob
Old 09-01-2008, 10:53 PM
AX993
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by bobesser
Even the ones that do not say Italian are TUV, DOT, etc approved. Bob
Yep, they do. I guess it's down to what level of confidence you place in the maker of the wheels to A) tell the truth about their quality, B) maintain the consistency of that quality for every wheel & C) stand behind their product.

Quick Reply: weight of MY02 vs. Italian Clones