Sponsored by:

Sell my 964 for a 993?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 01:13 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I am sorry for not responding earlier but I have been driving my 993.

I like the 964 but the 993 is a better car overall, even with the CEL issues. It drives better, looks better and is an iconic Porsche.

Would I turn down a gift of a 964? no.

Drive several examples and see.

We chose the 993 over the 964 and the 996 and are happy we did.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:14 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Less filling, tastes great.....Ginger or MaryAnn.....Pepsi or Coke.

Im going to hang out on the McCain forum and say that Obama is the man!

Different strokes for different folks.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:17 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Every 911 has some lineage to its predecessor, so I think you will observe similar driving characteristics from the 964 to the 993, howver, there are improvements with each model as well.

I made a bigger jump going from a 911SC Targa to a 993 Coupe. I made the jump because I wanted a coupe, AC that worked, more power, and well, simply, a more civilized car. I got the SC when my body could handle the bumps of the road better, as I have aged, those things bothered me. Initially, I really loved the Targa and taking the roof off was one of my life's greatest pleasures. Again, as I aged, my needs changed.

Going from a 964 to a 993 is not that much of a jump, and the aesthetics of the car are purely your own personal taste. Personally, I prefer the 993 lines to the 964, but that is subjective. the 993 has a slight HP/torque advantage, but on the street, it is probably a wash.

Ultimately, you need to decide what YOU want and what your reasons are. If they are financial, the 993 will hold its value better just because it is newer, and it is the final air cooled model. Both are good cars that can be driven every day, and each has its quirks, but well cared for, I don't see a distinct mechanical advantage to either one.

As for keeping both, well, if you have the space, that is probably the ultimate option. I thought aobut keeping my SC when I got my 993, but I really don't have the space, and I know I would have neglected the SC.

I love my 993 and higly recommend it, but you need to spend some time in the driver seat and decide what you really want.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:38 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The 993 is winning on the reply posts.

Anyway, I had a 964 and now a 993. The 964 and 993 is very similar. However, each car is a bit different. My old 964 seemed to have more power than my 993, but it was just more torque down low. The 993 made power up in the higher RPM. The AC works much better on the 993. You just have to drive the 993 to see if it is indeed better and worth the money.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:38 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I think they're both great cars and would be proud to have a 964 in my garage. Get a 993 if you feel that the "equity" is better. The 993 is a much prettier car, IMHO, that sentiment having been written about, criticized and debated ad nauseum.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:03 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to Face-Ache, Noah, Vernon, Craig, and Stealth who offered some helpful responses. I can't afford to keep both cars or I would. It would be great and I wouldn't have these questions.

I apologize if I insulted some of you with the way I tried to encourage some advice by comparison with the 964 Forum.

I'm not certain why Carrera X, Carrera SC and some others wasted your time with your posts. But you did teach me something about 993's. Apparently most of their owners are sarcastic a-holes. Point noted and thanks for the warm welcome.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:17 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by altarchsa
Thanks to Face-Ache, Noah, Vernon, Craig, and Stealth who offered some helpful responses. I can't afford to keep both cars or I would. It would be great and I wouldn't have these questions.

I apologize if I insulted some of you with the way I tried to encourage some advice by comparison with the 964 Forum.

I'm not certain why Carrera X, Carrera SC and some others wasted your time with your posts. But you did teach me something about 993's. Apparently most of their owners are sarcastic a-holes. Point noted and thanks for the warm welcome.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:18 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

But you did teach me something about 993's. Apparently most of their owners are sarcastic a-holes.
Quite the big brush there, friend. Best of luck with your choice.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:19 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

...But you did teach me something about 993's. Apparently most of their owners are sarcastic a-holes....
You sure have a way of making new friends....

Do yourself a favor, get a 996, it will be an even trade for your 964, and you'll feel right at home bashing the 993 and its owners.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:49 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

There are a bunch of great people on this forum who were probably trying to gently suggest that you use the search function. FWIW, you've now probably dis-endeared yourself by your rather OT-styled comeback. Buy the best 993 you can afford, swallow your bile, and come back to this forum .
Old 08-31-2008, 11:26 PM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting. I've found this forum to be absolutely great.... most often very rapid and helpful responses, but the comparison you asked for has been covered a ton already. I know because when I was looking late last year, I had the same questions. In the end, I went w/ a 993 because the price was right, the car was beautiful, and I just didn't come across a 964 that beat it before I found the 993. It was a matter of which one came first.

I would be tickled with either, but I am very glad I have the 993 instead at this point. Most folks cannot believe it's nearly 15 years old as the style is still very modern where the 964 more closely resembles the styles from the last 60s onwards.

I'd say you should drive the 993 if you can and see what you think compared to yours. The main thing that I'd have trouble with in swapping cars is having to sort a bunch of things out again after you seem to have just gotten yours sorted.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:26 PM
CornerCarver
Burning Brakes

Damn. You sound like my wife and employees. If what I posted was sarcastic, it must have been provoke by something. Oh yeah, possibly this?

However, I have to say the 964 Forum has the 993 beat for responsiveness. Half as many on line, six times as many offers of advice.
If you can take it, don't dish it.

Please don't judge this great 993 Forum based on just a few a-holes. It was early and I didn't have my coffee. I do apologize if I offended you in anyway. Good luck with your decision.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:40 AM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Default Thanks

Sorry I had not seen the additional really helpful posts. I was definitely "broad brush" considering those. And yes I should have spent some time with the search button first. Maybe I had my feelings on my sleeve a little when I didn't understand why I got such sarcastic responses from a few.

Thanks again for all the help that was constructive from the rest of you. I really hope to benefit from that helpfulness and from a similar enthusiasm on this board that was so impressive to me on the 964 board. I can't imagine that the majority of you would be any less enthusiasts than they are.

I am excited about the prospect of owning the "newest used" Porsche I could get since finding my third Porsche, an 11 year old '75 Targa with only 10K miles on it, back in the 80's. The 993 is a gorgeous car and I do know enough to appreciate that it is the last true 911. I've spent a lot of hours crawling around, and under, my Porsches. I have done almost all my own mechanical work since '82, including 5 engine rebuilds. The comment that I should buy any post 993 model was harsh.

Sounds like you guys really enjoy your 993's. Hope I will too.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:27 AM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This forum has been tremendously helpful, and patient with my N00B questions. And sometimes smarta$$ is interpreted as a$$hole. I'm OK w/ smarta$$.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:02 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Just do it, once it happens you will not look back. I to could not afford 2 911's & I just made it happen!

The 993 guys are very tight, & a great group, there is just a "trial by fire" then you will feel right at home.

You got to think, we are the red-headed stepchild in the 911 world, our cars are much different from both the 964 & 996, the 996 guys hate the fact our cars last longer, run better & cost a bunch more then the "newer better car".

The 964 guys tend to me a little more purists about the 911 & think us 993 guys are crazy for thinking our cars are "better" in looks & performance. Truth is the 964 turbo, is one of the most striking 911's ever made, & the 959 is a dream car that I'll never be able to attain.

Quick Reply: Sell my 964 for a 993?