Sponsored by:

immobilizer question, should be easy to anwer for you pros

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 02:42 AM
johnnypiedras
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default immobilizer question, should be easy to anwer for you pros

yes i have searched the threads. here is my question, when exiting your vehicle with out turning on the alarm and reenter later ho many times do you have to press the button to deactivate the immobilizer, i thought it was just once. now i find myself pressing it at least twice, what could be the problem?
Old 08-27-2008, 02:53 AM
whidbey
Instructor

Originally Posted by johnnypiedras
here is my question, when exiting your vehicle with out turning on the alarm and reenter later ho many times do you have to press the button to deactivate the immobilizer, i thought it was just once. now i find myself pressing it at least twice, what could be the problem?
my key fob works with just one button press, maybe a weak battery in key fob?
Old 08-27-2008, 03:10 AM
johnnypiedras
Rennlist Member

and this is not setting the alarm when exiting your car?, what i mean is not even locking it.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:18 AM
Jack Ennuste
Burning Brakes

I have to press once more, if i havent started my car in few minutes after entering. Immobilizer kind or re-engages.

-Jaak
Old 08-27-2008, 03:26 AM
johnnypiedras
Rennlist Member

sorry for being a stickler, so just a total of one time to crank the car after getting into it?
Old 08-27-2008, 03:34 AM
whidbey
Instructor

Originally Posted by johnnypiedras
sorry for being a stickler, so just a total of one time to crank the car after getting into it?
yes, one press when alarm not engaged.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:39 AM
johnnypiedras
Rennlist Member

thx so much, mine have to press twice, remote has new battery, whats up with that?
Old 08-27-2008, 07:47 AM
henrymug
Advanced

my car is 1994, does it comes with a remote control of the immobilizer?
Old 08-27-2008, 10:33 AM
Boston911fan
Pro

I have two brand new remotes, as I just bought my car 4 weeks ago and had Holt Motorsports where I got the car get rid of the switchblade before I picked it up. I have to press my fob once or twice depending on what I do. Both situations are when the car has been sitting for a while.

If I get into the car and have the keys in my hand, I have to press the fob once and the doors will lock or the alarm horn will beep if the door is open. Then I press it again to deactivate the alarm and put the key in to start it.

Or...I put the key in the ignition and turn the power on, let all the dummy lights light up, THEN press the button only once, and I can start the car.

So it depends. If I don't turn the power and have the keys in my hand, I have to press it twice, and if I insert the key and turn the key to the accessory position without engaging the start position, I click it once.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:48 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 355 Posts

Assuming a key fob with a strong battery and a "healthy" immobilizer system, it should work as follows:

If car is locked and you are within 3-6 feet of the car (Distances vary among cars), one press on the fob buttom should unlock the car and you should be able to get in, start the car and drive off with no further fob activation.

If, however, you unlock the car, and take more than approximately 90 seconds to put the key in the ignition, the immobilizer will re-set itself so that the car cannot be started without activating the fob again (NOTE: The doors will not lock. Just the ignition lockout will be activated).

If, after running the car, you remove the key and leave the car unlocked, after approximately 90 seconds the immobilizer will re-set itself so that the car cannot be started without activating the fob again (NOTE: The doors will not lock. Just the ignition lockout will be activated). When you return to start the car, you will have to deactivate the immobilizer with the key fob.

If you turn the engine off and leave the key in the ignition, you can get back in after any length of time and start the car without any key fob activation (So can any car thief).

This is all explained to some degree in the owners manual.

I find the simplest thing to do is to always remove the key and lock the car upon parking it. That way, one click on getting out and one click on getting in is all that's necessary to drive the car.

And for those who "hate" this sytem, you might as well get over it...It's one of the little idiosyncracies of the 993 and info to date indicates that it can't be bypassed....Your time will be better spent figuring out how the do those mods you want to do without breaking the family budget...

Regards,
Terry
Old 08-27-2008, 10:15 PM
neunneundrei
Racer

+1 Terry

Oh, and always make sure your battery is charged in the FOB or that you don't lose it...then pressing the FOB button will be the least of your problems
Old 08-28-2008, 01:08 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default immobilizer

Terry:

If you lock a 993, and assuming the car battery is healthy, how many days will it be before the security system runs it down? I've been told it only takes 5 or 6 days. Which is why I never lock mine (when garaged) either.

Thanks for the info above.

Rinty
Old 08-28-2008, 01:40 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by Rinty
Terry:

If you lock a 993, and assuming the car battery is healthy, how many days will it be before the security system runs it down? I've been told it only takes 5 or 6 days.
Rinty,

I would think that since the immobilizer kicks in whether your car is locked or not, the drain on the battery would be similar with the car locked or unlocked.

I have had no experience with dead batteries from storage...I've locked mine for as long as two weeks without starting it and it has fired up each time with no problem.

Keep in mind that I'm in the South and we don't have to deal with frigid temps that often...I'm sure that helps battery life somewhat.

Hope this helps.

Terry
Old 08-28-2008, 02:42 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default immobilizer

Thanks Terry. Mine's a summer car, and in winter it'll be on trickle charge.

I'll have to try locking it now. I like the idea of the extra bit of security.

Rinty
Old 08-28-2008, 04:59 PM
coltj
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rinty,

I've left my car locked(security system on) for several weeks; no problem starting it up. I try like hell not to leave it unattended for so long, not out of any concern for running down the battery; I just like to drive the car

Quick Reply: immobilizer question, should be easy to anwer for you pros