Sponsored by:

Report: DACH cat bypass X pipes (with Fabspeed Supercups) feedback

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 06:36 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts
Default Report: DACH cat bypass X pipes (with Fabspeed Supercups) feedback

I just came back from driving my car with the DACH cat bypass X pipes, also equipped with first gen (no baffles), Fabspeed Supercups, and, f*ckin'-A, I am floored by the achingly fabulous sound! The motor screams the way I've always wanted it to and makes fantastic music. Moreover, I could detect no discernible loss of torque (or gain in horsepower) by my notoriously unreliable seat-of-the-pants dyno.

Inside of the car, at idle, the engine is relatively quiet. Moving along with light throttle, the car gets a little but louder inside but is very, very tolerable. On the highway at full throttle going from second to third to fourth, the sound is absolutely gorgeous and has a great *POP* on overrun (not sure what the overrun means. Just because it sounds good doesn't mean it is good). Outside of and behind the car, it is tame at idle but a keeningly divine hellion at WOT. We're talking hearing damage and a guaranteed letter from your HOA, folks.

For a pure street car, these pipes with the Supercups need to be used with caution, for your car will sound like, well, a pure race car. However, for a 50% or greater use track car, the bypass is oh-so right. If you have a track car, this is the way to go. Lime Rock attendees will need to add mufflers or Car Chemistry inserts to quell the wail and make regs.

Fit and finish of the pipes is really good, with clean and pretty welds. The one comment I will make is that the right side of my Supercups is sticking ever-so-slightly further out than the left side, a discrepancy I did not have with my stock cat. I would prefer for them to be absolutely symmetrical. Also, both 'Cup tips stick out further than with the stock cat, but obnoxiously so.

At some point I will get a digital camcorder and record the sound on vimeo or youtube.

Rennlist meet and drives will never be the same . . .

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 08-22-2008 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:53 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ah............so do you like them or is it the 'cups?
As for the symmetry, there is play in the flange, its all in the mounting. Pop the plugs out of your flanges and re-adjust/rebolt with new bolts - no plugs. We build the flanges with larger holes for the bolts so you'll have a hint of fore/aft rotation which may help your problem. Oh and for the record......how different are they?
Old 08-22-2008, 07:50 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Chris. I did not do the install. Can you clarify what you mean by "pop the plugs out of your flanges and re-adjust/rebolt with new bolts - no plugs"? Where are the plugs? What do they look like?
Old 08-22-2008, 08:31 PM
993inNC
Race Car

they are the nuts that look welded onto the flange (should be at least 2 per side). they are a press fit from the back side. Get a punch.....pop them out and now you have a hole thats bigger, there by letting the bolts "swim" in the hole. It gives a little wiggle room for adjustment.

So you didn't answer me......do you like the pipes? and how different are the cups sticking out? This is need to know info for me
Old 08-22-2008, 08:48 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993inNC
they are the nuts that look welded onto the flange (should be at least 2 per side). they are a press fit from the back side. Get a punch.....pop them out and now you have a hole thats bigger, there by letting the bolts "swim" in the hole. It gives a little wiggle room for adjustment.
Okay, cool. Thanks!

So you didn't answer me......do you like the pipes?

You're kidding me . . . right?? They're awesome. I can't wait to hit the track and have the car shriek at full song. Incredible, simply, incredible.*

*Quiz for all of you baby boomers: which car magazine used "Incredible, simply, incredible" as the title for their road test and which car was tested?

and how different are the cups sticking out? This is need to know info for me
The difference is maybe 1/8". I'm not sure how many people would notice, other than me and OCD162435 aka AOW162435. Maybe more since Porsche people tend to be a detail-oreinted lot.

Thanks, Chris. I couldn't be happier. I wish I had the time to do a before-and-after dyno test.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:47 PM
993inNC
Race Car

OMG 1/8" difference, are you kidding me? You find me a better fitting set of after market exhaust parts that will bolt up better than that (4 fixed point piece, with no slip joints) and I will personally come put them on for you! I will refund you every penny of your money and personally hand detail your car with a tooth brush.............how's that for confidence?

Glad you like them the original post started sounding like a plug for the other guys muffs
How's Tim, hadn't seen him in a while. Need to get him to the track
Old 08-22-2008, 10:21 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

OMG 1/8" difference, are you kidding me? You find me a better fitting set of after market exhaust parts that will bolt up better than that (4 fixed point piece, with no slip joints) and I will personally come put them on for you! I will refund you every penny of your money and personally hand detail your car with a tooth brush.............how's that for confidence?

Glad you like them the original post started sounding like a plug for the other guys muffs
How's Tim, hadn't seen him in a while. Need to get him to the track
I'll have to measure it. The difference is small, but it is noticeable. As I wrote, my Supercups were perfectly symmetrical out of the box when bolted to the stock cat. However, I have seen plenty of Fabspeed Maxflos that were over 1/2" off. I do understand that there are tolerances and only felt compelled to mention it in relation to your bypass pipes because my Supercups were perfect when bolted to the stock cat.

I still can't get over how much the bypass pipes opened up the sound.

I haven't spoken to Tim in a while. Yep, he needs to hit the track and be taught how to drive a Porsche at speed. I don't think it will take much for him to be addicted.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:46 AM
993inNC
Race Car

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
I haven't spoken to Tim in a while. Yep, he needs to hit the track and be taught how to drive a Porsche at speed. I don't think it will take much for him to be addicted.
If his "on ramp" excitement level is any indication of his need to get to the track, I don't know what is He'd be instantly hooked, I'm guessing.

Enjoy the pipes.
Old 08-23-2008, 03:39 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Mark:

I was wondering when you were going to get around to the install. Glad they worked out for you. I decided to install fabspeed bypass pipes as I found a set here on Rennlist for a price that I couldn't pass up.

I have 1st gen supercups (with baffles). The pipes do hang a bit low, but no scraping issues on track and my car is slammed about as low as you can get. We were also running at Summit Point, so I can't imagine that I'll be running on any rougher tracks than that (except perhaps for that nasty drop-off into the carusel at Shaennadoah). I did however, scrape that lower pipe when backing off my trailer.

The sound with the new set-up is incredible, couldn't be happier. Tolerable at idle, but mind-numbing at WOT. However, this is not a setup for a street car for sure. My arsometer also feels a definite boost on acceleration... but that could simply be due to the weight savings (I shedded the door panels and a few other things at the same time).
Old 08-23-2008, 04:13 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just hooked up a set of Supercups (latest generation, baffles welded in) to DACH's Sport Cats. Pipes extend inch and half outside of bumper and they hang symmetrical. There was plenty of adjustability during install. I'll take a few pics.

Sound ? Off the hook nuts. It's intoxicating.

I was running RSR's with DACH X-Pipes previously and although loud, doesn't match the aggressiveness of Supercups. In fact, I won't be able to handle it as a daily driver. You can feel the resonance in your chest at 2800rpm.

Got the DACH guru putting together a muffler alternative to the RSR's and will swap back and forth with the Cups. Fun.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:04 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Mark,
Unless I'm very much mistaken, your Flabspeed products feature slips joints. If they do, it may be as easy as loosening the affected connection, adjusting and snugging everything up again. I'd love to hear the setup - maybe I can swing by and take a look at this extremely worrisome discrepancy.

Andreas
Old 08-23-2008, 09:27 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I could almost hear it Mark the way you describe the system!
So what muffs do you have now? I know that you were once a RSR believer. So am I. I love the pops and raspiness of the RSRs. But I have not heard all these new systems yet.

Would you prefer the Fabs Supercups for pure street or the RSRs?

Going to the 20-22SEP DE @ VIR? I'll be there.

Regards
Old 08-23-2008, 10:02 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Mark,
Unless I'm very much mistaken, your Flabspeed products feature slips joints. If they do, it may be as easy as loosening the affected connection, adjusting and snugging everything up again. I'd love to hear the setup - maybe I can swing by and take a look at this extremely worrisome discrepancy.

Andreas
Glad you see the effect of the word "affect".

I took the car out for another spin today to check out the alignment. The car is Martha-hide-the-children-and-keep-the-nineteen-year-old-daughter-in-the-basement loud. Absolutely take-no-prisoners-what-other-saying-can-I-hyphenate loud.

Originally Posted by Carrera Mike
I could almost hear it Mark the way you describe the system!
So what muffs do you have now? I know that you were once a RSR believer. So am I. I love the pops and raspiness of the RSRs. But I have not heard all these new systems yet.

Would you prefer the Fabs Supercups for pure street or the RSRs?

Going to the 20-22SEP DE @ VIR? I'll be there.

Regards
Mike,

I have no mufflers at all; I have Fabspeed Supercups (open pipes). In answer to your other question, if the 993 in question has the DACH catbypass X pipes, for the street, I would definitely not consider the Supercups. You will need a muffler of some sort to gag the riotous scream.

Probably will not do any more DE's this year; the rest of my calendar is filled with races.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:23 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 484 Likes on 256 Posts

I'm running the same setup as Mark.... just incredible sounding when you dip your right foot into it .

Thx to Mark's suggestion, I have CC inserts coming this week. When I get a chance I will post some video with and without inserts.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:28 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Mike,

I have no mufflers at all; I have Fabspeed Supercups (open pipes). In answer to your other question, if the 993 in question has the DACH catbypass X pipes, for the street, I would definitely not consider the Supercups. You will need a muffler of some sort to gag the riotous scream.

Probably will not do any more DE's this year; the rest of my calendar is filled with races.
Hi Mark,

Pardon my ignorance with the mighty 993. Its been a while.. I swear i knew all the combos before

Oh yeahm the DE in Sept is 2 days south course(amd 1 day full), which you would hate now that you're into full time racing

Where is your next race?

Quick Reply: Report: DACH cat bypass X pipes (with Fabspeed Supercups) feedback