Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

KW V3 just arrived

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 12:56 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got them on my car and still don't have them sorted correctly. The springs are extremely soft.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:16 PM
travanx
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was waiting to hear more, before talking about the coilovers.

Just got word that they are going to take care of this problem the exact way they should. I gave them some options earlier that I thought made sense and they are going with what I think is the least costly to me. very very happy at the moment about this.

From what I can tell so far on the car, I think these feel great. Going over a bump I can feel the stiffness, but it doesn't hurt. I have the settings at the recommended starting levels from the instructions. Cant wait to get this fixed and aligned so i can actually drive the car. Also the front settled about 1/2" lower than the mechanic wanted. So its not even at the final euro height just yet.

Another cool thing was driving home from the gym, the only time i drove the car so far with the KW's on, i got a compliment about the car from a guy in a range rover.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:33 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by travanx
if you adjust the height dont you need a new alignment everytime? would be cool if they had something like the Tein EDFC thats for sure!
Not really...its used primarily to get the car to clear speedbumps and driveways. I don't think it's designed to stay semi-permanently in the "up" position. The website shows kits for 997s and F430s and mentions retrofits but no info on whether there is a 993 application.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:04 AM
LA964RS
Drifting

Just make sure you don't drop them down too far. If you read the install instruction you will see there is an operation range that the shock should be in...otherwise, it bottoms out.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:07 AM
travanx
Pro

They are going to be at Euro height, just the front settled a little and ended up being lower. I figure let it settle some more and then raise it.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:04 AM
travanx
Pro

Figured i would do an update since I drove the car to figure out how it felt on bad shocks through what I think are some of the worst freeways I could come across in LA. So generally the car felt ok even with a bad alignment. The ride quality is very close to stock, except you can hear more noises of the booms coming from the freeway going 65mph+. So imagine a stiffer ride thats smooth when it hits bumps. Can't wait to say more once the coilover is fixed and I have an alignment. I know how fast i can take some turns on certain streets and freeways when I had my RSX, so it should be interesting to see how much more stable the 993 is through those turns.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:08 AM
travanx
Pro

to add some more before tthe big fix and alignment, i went to eat out with my gf tonight and she mentioned how smooth the ride felt. kind of surprising since I had 3 different suspensions on my rsx and my gf's always would give their reviews to me about them. the one off bilstein coilovers I had were the only ones that weren't complained about.

so I was surprised to hear that these felt good. I explained what the difference was and she agreed, the coilovers felt very smooth, and couldn't tell. So that was pretty interesting. Obviously the steering wheels wobbles a lot with the bad alignment and messed up shock. So I can't wait to get this problem fixed and an alignment with the correct ride height. Another thing will be when i get my new wheels. Hopefully that is soon as well. But once this is done, I will have a larger review and pictures as well.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:09 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

to add some more before tthe big fix and alignment, i went to eat out with my gf tonight and she mentioned how smooth the ride felt. kind of surprising since I had 3 different suspensions on my rsx and my gf's always would give their reviews to me about them. the one off bilstein coilovers I had were the only ones that weren't complained about.

so I was surprised to hear that these felt good. I explained what the difference was and she agreed, the coilovers felt very smooth, and couldn't tell. So that was pretty interesting. Obviously the steering wheels wobbles a lot with the bad alignment and messed up shock. So I can't wait to get this problem fixed and an alignment with the correct ride height. Another thing will be when i get my new wheels. Hopefully that is soon as well. But once this is done, I will have a larger review and pictures as well.
Looking forward to your review. Thanks.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:35 PM
travanx
Pro

What a cool day. These guys went above and beyond to help me out. It felt as though they were being nice and helping me out just to not get a bad name. But really these guys just care about the customer. KW customer service is how companies should be run. Turns out something was broken most likely in shipping. I blame UPS, but thats just my opinion. They took the coilover apart, fixed it and put it on the shock dyno and got the part back on my car. Very quick actually.

The car drives like a dream after the alignment, and I can't believe these coilovers are not talked about more. Very smooth where they need to be going slower, and stiff at high speed. Very opposite of all the japanese coilovers I have used on other cars where its just stiff and your head wobbles around like a bobble head. So these just eat bumps and make the car even more planted.

To answer another question, they happened to have that hydraulic lift thing sitting on a table near where my car was getting worked on. I asked about it, and was explained it can be fitted to basically any car and for price its about the same as coilovers. I also asked what kind of cars are they meant for then, and was told ferraris and lambos. So that made sense.

big thank yous to someone who helped me out on here! i will write more later with pics, just exhausted from 7 hours of driving today.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:59 PM
face-ache
Instructor

Sweet! what ride height are you at? and what settings?
Old 09-16-2008, 12:08 AM
travanx
Pro

its basically at euro height with the recommended settings for all the ***** based on what the instructions say. i will slowly mess around with them, but it seems like its perfect so far.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:13 AM
face-ache
Instructor

Glad you got it all sorted and that the customer svc was up to standard.. I'm ordering a set soon thx for the input.
David
Old 09-16-2008, 04:29 AM
travanx
Pro

Not sure where you are gonna order from, but you might just want to call them directly and tell them you heard about my story on rennlist and see what they can do? Maybe ask for a sales manager in the California office or something? I really like companies who are willing to bend over backwards and believe in their product. BTW their product is awesome, so thats always the first thing of course. But the follow up really shows what the company thinks of themselves.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:49 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Very cool...glad everything worked out for you.

My car has the V2 and I've been tempted to upgrade to the V3 even though the car handles fantastic as is. And I'm getting increasingly interested in the hydraulic height adjustment (there is a video on you tube for those of you who don't know what this is in reference to)

What a cool day. These guys went above and beyond to help me out. It felt as though they were being nice and helping me out just to not get a bad name. But really these guys just care about the customer. KW customer service is how companies should be run. Turns out something was broken most likely in shipping. I blame UPS, but thats just my opinion. They took the coilover apart, fixed it and put it on the shock dyno and got the part back on my car. Very quick actually.

The car drives like a dream after the alignment, and I can't believe these coilovers are not talked about more. Very smooth where they need to be going slower, and stiff at high speed. Very opposite of all the japanese coilovers I have used on other cars where its just stiff and your head wobbles around like a bobble head. So these just eat bumps and make the car even more planted.

To answer another question, they happened to have that hydraulic lift thing sitting on a table near where my car was getting worked on. I asked about it, and was explained it can be fitted to basically any car and for price its about the same as coilovers. I also asked what kind of cars are they meant for then, and was told ferraris and lambos. So that made sense.

big thank yous to someone who helped me out on here! i will write more later with pics, just exhausted from 7 hours of driving today.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:54 AM
Michael S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

David,

VERY interested in the hydraulic height adjustment as well... Is this feature controllable from inside the car?

I have a very large curb going into my driveway, and I scrape the spoiler each time... I would love a height-adjustable suspension if it's available!

Quick Reply: KW V3 just arrived