Sponsored by:

993 Cab issues?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 04:45 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd forget about the targa - problems seem to be prevelant and severe
Like most things in life your results will vary. I've had great luck with my Targa and absolutely no troubles. If it's a bodged up roof then the Targa can (and will) be a nightmare. To me the Targa is a perfect compromise but it is not a cab or coupe and doesn't pretend to be. Cabs offer true open air motoring but if you expect you'll be putting the top up and down a lot the Targa can be a better choice. I own two convertibles and love to take them out for Sunday drives but if I'm going a long distance or running errands I take the Targa. There are times when closing the roof when I get tired of the wind noise or pull in a parking lot makes it the best deal in town - toggle a switch on the fly and it's done.

Buy the car you want, cab or targa, just get a good, well maintained one and you'll love it - either way.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:38 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kcreager1
4. The bonnet is a little silly -

The mechanics work great, no latches to undo, etc, but after a FULLY POWERED OPERATION you have to get out to put on the bonnet. This just always irked me.
Not sure if any of our UK brothers will weigh in on a cab thread, but here are some translations of common car parts:

bonnet = "hood" or whatever covers the engine, front or back
boot = "trunk" or whatever covers the luggage compartment
hood = "top," esp. convertible, I think
boot cover = "boot cover" or the thing that covers the folded convertible top (or "hood," see above) depending on where you hang your hat.

Ironically, it only covers the front-most portion of the "boot" on a rear trunk (boot) car, but nevertheless. Did I get any of this right?
Old 08-22-2008, 05:50 PM
Gino993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cdmdriver
Ha, great Idea. I like it.
Perfect...I've been looking for a reason not to buy the cover. Thanks!
Old 08-23-2008, 12:01 AM
henkinc
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Couple of comments re my 97 cab. My top fits well and the car has no particular wind noise. It is certainly going to be noisier than a coupe, but there is no wind "leak." Just a thinner top. As for value, I am sorry but in the DC area at least - and I am sure this must be true in CA, the cabs get a premium and I believe will hold value better if really clean as compared to a coupe that is also clean. I use mine easily nine months a year with the wind deflector. Fine when 50 outside and heater turned up, unless at high speeds. You HAVE to have the deflector, by the way, for comfortbale cruising at speed.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:53 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I prefer the cab for my weekend use and drive it with the top down almost 100% of the time. Even in hot Houston, the roof is down ...

I do 1-2 DEs a year and it is good for this, too. There are issues with the top motors (recall) and the cables. I fixed the cables myself and should be ok for years to come. There is a post fro me on how I did it.

However, the look of a wide body coupe is unbeatable. By far the most beautiful lines for a Porsche! The only switch I would consider is for a 2S or Turbo but I am sure that I would miss my cab a lot.

Erik
Old 08-24-2008, 01:21 PM
LAT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TAI2
Binder clip photos - the least expensive "Porsche part" in the world. You can get these at any office supply store and they do a great job in keeping the head liner from flapping in the wind. They take 15 secs to install and are a great alternative to using the Tourn. cover.
How cool is that, thanks.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:00 PM
Mikes993
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last summer we replaced our 1980 SC Targa with a 97 Cab. Having dealt with the hassle of a folding targa top we really appreciate being able to push a button for open air motoring. The downside is our gas cost has gone up because every time the sun shines here in Oregon we take the car out. Unfortunately we also experienced vandalism when someone sliced the top during our cross country trip to North Carolina this summer.

Quick Reply: 993 Cab issues?