993 Cab issues?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 04:47 PM
andrewk34
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 Cab issues?

Hi,

I'm thinking of purchasing a 993 Cab as a fun/weekend car. Are there issues I should be aware of. Would it be better to get a targa or just a coupe? How much worse is the handling of the cab than the coupe?

Does the cab handle better than the targa because of the lower center of gravity (glass roof is heavy) or worse than the targa because of the reduced structural strength?

I apologize if this has already been answered on rennlist (it probably has, but I couldn't find a discussion searching).
Old 08-19-2008, 04:57 PM
allill
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as the cab vs. targa, targas are basically cabs with a targa top on them. Handling should be pretty similar. Coupes on the other hand are far more rigid and should handle better because of it. If you do get a cab, make sure the top works and that the recall on the top motor has been done or will be done for free. Also note that the cabs are noisy inside even with the top up. Good luck on your search, there are a lot of nice cars out there.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:15 PM
cdmdriver
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are looking for a fun/weekend car I highly recommend the Cab. Especially if you live in an area with a lot of sun. The car looks great with the top up or down. Just remember that at 12 years old the top will most likely need to be replaced if it is still original. I have heard that the Targa top may have a few problems that can be very expensive to fix (due to the extremely complex roof mechanism), but they sure look nice.

Good Luck
Old 08-19-2008, 06:24 PM
Harvey Yancey
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have both a '97 Cab and a '97 Coupe. Very different animals.

For cruising and fun in the sun you cannot beat the Cab. Fun, fun car. The valets still scramble to park it even though it is almost 12 years old now.

However, if you are planning on doing any track work ... stick with the Coupe.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:54 PM
Kcreager1
Racer

I have had both and prefer the coupe for many reasons. I have owned a 95 c2 coupe and a 96 c2 cab (both sold) and now have a 96 C4S (coupe). The Cab was owned in between the 2 other cars.

Here are my complains about the cab that I think you should consider before buying. I suggest driving both cars.

1. Limited visibility as compared to the coupe (with top up).

You lose the rear side windows in the cab and have a smaller rear window (which will always be less clear than a rear window in a coupe - even if new). I was more aware of this having come from a coupe, it might not be as noticable to a person who did not transition from a coupe. Turning your head while changing lanes is almost useless, it only allows you to see directly out the passenger window.

2. Too much cabin noise -

My coupes were/are both coffins inside as it relates to wind noise. The Cab did not have wind leaks, but the thin material top allows a lot of traffic and road noise in. Even at idle, cars or trucks next to you are noisy. This was a big issue for me.

3. Larger number of cabs = less value (in my opinion) -

Just the USA numbers means to me that the value of coupes should appreciate/hold value better. This would also help lower the price on the purchase side, so take it for what you will.

4. The bonnet is a little silly -

The mechanics work great, no latches to undo, etc, but after a FULLY POWERED OPERATION you have to get out to put on the bonnet. This just always irked me.

5. Increase in possible maint cost -

The price of a new top is not that much, I got mine from Rich and Famous and paid $700 for both the top and bonnet, install was about 500 I think. However, I did have a few other issues in the 1 year I owned the car. The cable broke on one side and I had to have a repair of the motor. While this is probably not typical there is no doubt that by adding the complexity of the top you add potential maint issues.

6. Lines -

It has been said many times, the outline or shape of the car is less distinct with the cab top.

Confession

I must add that I do live in San Antonio, TX, not somewhere like California where the climate is more condusive to having the top down more. So there is a difference in the ability to enjoy a cab. I did not notice performance related issues but do not drive that hard. Also, the visibility difference is not as significant if you have GT3 seats in a coupe - the wide top of the seat back obscures the rear windows a little.

Good luck
Old 08-19-2008, 09:04 PM
Jeff Ward
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Coupe, Cabriolet, or Targa? All are good choices

This is a like trying to answer the question "which is better, a hammer, or a screwdriver?". If you are trying to drive a nail, the hammer is better, you'd be nuts to have a screwdriver (unless you are trying to tighten a screw).

All these cars are fun and beautiful, and keep their value remarkably well. You would probably prefer a cab if you are looking for a fun weekend car. You'd probably enjoy a coupe more if you couldn't put the top down due to climate, urbanization, or heavy track use.

Over 25 years, I've enjoyed owning (one at a time) 4 coupes, 2 sunroof coupes, 1 targa, 1 roadster, and 3 cabriolets ranging from a 1959 to a 1995. I've loved them all.

So think about your mission, and pick the right tool. It is guaranteed to put a smile on your face IF you buy a carefully maintained Porsche, and seek the advice of knowledgeable folks in selecting the right year and model.

You've chosen well to inquire here. The depth of knowledge on this board is pretty amazing.
Good Luck!
Old 08-20-2008, 04:03 AM
C4 NLW
Instructor

I've owned both the cab and the Targa. The cab was a 97. Beautiful car and great fun to drive with the top down. The roof mechanism wasn't always reliable and had to be worked on a few times. It also had a leak in heavy rain.

My Targa is a 96 and has been trouble free for over 2 years. Another plus being that the visibility out of the Targa is fantastic. So my money is on the Targa :-)
Old 08-20-2008, 09:59 AM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Well, I've had nothing but cabs and obviously love them. I live in NJ and have the top down 80% of the time.

Noise: It is noisier than a coupe with the top up. Ther top down fun outweighs the top up difference in noise insulation.

Visability: Never have a problem with visability and I drive in the crazy N.East. If your mirrors are adjusted properly and you use them, then all is OK.

Maint Cost: Ultimately, the top will require some maint. I'm not sure how much maint sunroofs need but there are plenty of threads with "help - my sunroof is stuck open.......". Ensure the motor recall has been performed. Once very 2-3 years a microswitch may need adjustment - which is very easy to do or have done.

The look: A cab driving by with it's top down get's more looks than a coupe driving by - it just looks more special and unique. I see far more coupes than cabs in my area and we have the second largest population of Porsches in the US.

The Track: If you are going to do DE's then you will need to add a roll bar. A cab with M030/HD Bilsteins + roll bar + strut brace is great on the track. The difference in performance and results is usually the driver and not the car. Most drivers would benefit from race driving school vs. more hardware.

Top Tourn. Cover: I never use it except for long drives. I put the top down and use Binder Clips, yes I said Binder Clips from ACCO, to keep the headliner from flapping around. It takes all of 15 sec. to do.

Good luck and go with your heart.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:23 AM
tropheus
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

Well - a CAB or not a CAB is a good question. First I started with a CAB as I always enjoyed having top down in the morning and driving to work. To smell and feel the scenery is really great. I know all the arguments that there are more CAB's out there and therefore the value isn't so great. Well, I'm not looking to increase the value of my cars rather then to enjoy them and have a good time.

Now, recently I added a coupe to the staple as we were looking for a second fun car for my wife. So, I have to say that the coupe is different. It's more classic and looks better with his classic lines. However, when I have the choice in the morning I often pick the CAB to enjoy the open ride. If I have a fun drive on the weekend over noon I pick the coupe.

Even if the engine / power setup is the same 2 different experiences. I personally enjoy both.

Jack
Old 08-20-2008, 05:49 PM
LAT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TAI2
Top Tourn. Cover: I never use it except for long drives. I put the top down and use Binder Clips, yes I said Binder Clips from ACCO, to keep the headliner from flapping around. It takes all of 15 sec. to do.
Binder clips, sorry to ask but can you post a picture of how you do this, sounds like what I have been looking for.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:53 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

LAT, not a problem, I'll take a picture when I leave the office today and send to you tomorrow.

Tom
Old 08-20-2008, 10:53 PM
95cab
Instructor

My cab is basically a daily driver Apr-Nov/Dec (when first snow falls). Now that I've added the wind deflector, I'm expecting to get several more degrees of use out of it. Personally I'd forget about the targa - problems seem to be prevelant and severe. That being said, a blown transmission, motor, cable or canvas on the cab isn't a cheap fix either.

You should do a search on Rennlist.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:45 AM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Binder clip photos - the least expensive "Porsche part" in the world. You can get these at any office supply store and they do a great job in keeping the head liner from flapping in the wind. They take 15 secs to install and are a great alternative to using the Tourn. cover.
Attached Images   
Old 08-22-2008, 02:19 AM
cdmdriver
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ha, great Idea. I like it.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:03 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I've had 2 Cabs, an '88 and my current '97. Personally if it wasn't for my wife insisting on a cab I would have Coupes. I've never had water leaks but both cars have had that very persistent, annoying and loud wind noise from the upper corner of the driver's window, right by my ear.

This '97 goes in for a new top next week (Gahh German cloth is the only top these guys will use) and they'll see if they can adjust that seal to reduce the wind noise, I tried but no luck.

I love this car, just wish I had a magic wand to convert it into a coupe.

BTW, I always use the boot when the top is down.

Quick Reply: 993 Cab issues?