Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rennline Track mats - opinions

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 01:06 PM
mike993c2s
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rennline Track mats - opinions

Looking to buy a set of aluminum track mats for the car... will likely get the ones from Rennline. Anyone know the difference between their regular vs full race ones? Do you have to remove the sound deadening material for the full race set? And how hard is it to remove the sound deadening material?

I've done a search here but haven't found the answers to these questions.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:32 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Mike,

You should remove the sound deadening material for the full race ones. I suppose you could cut out sections for the support/contact areas, but IMO it's best to do the whole thing. Are you stripping the interior?

FYI, the mats are good, but the self tapping screws are poor quality (ask me how I know)... suggest you get some good stainless steel ones at your favorite fasteners shop.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:36 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,958 Likes on 556 Posts

do you guys put grip tape or anything on those? I'd think one hint of moisture and they'd be like ice skating rinks
Old 08-16-2008, 03:28 PM
mike993c2s
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jdistefa
Mike,

You should remove the sound deadening material for the full race ones. I suppose you could cut out sections for the support/contact areas, but IMO it's best to do the whole thing. Are you stripping the interior?

FYI, the mats are good, but the self tapping screws are poor quality (ask me how I know)... suggest you get some good stainless steel ones at your favorite fasteners shop.
I still drive my car to work from time to time, so I want to keep the stock carpeting around the track mat. The pic on Rennline's website shows the full race track mat without any other interior lining, so I wonder how it would work if I decide to keep the carpeting around it. I'm going to put the carpet mats over the track mat for street driving.

Back to my original question, is it fairly easy to remove that soft black "stuff" under the stock floor mat? What size screws did you get then? Are the Rennline ones too short, or do they strip easily?
Old 08-16-2008, 04:51 PM
Nollie
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mike, I like my mats a lot (seen in a few posts below https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/446493-hello-and-nearing-end-of-stage-1-a.html) they are a bit slick when wet, but the black at least feels like there is some texture to them. I wanted something that would look nice, clean easy, and I could leave in for track days. I opted for the non full track version since I didn't want to cut into the sound deadening material. Nice fit imo... now I just need that last piece to go under the pedals to replace the wood and it'll look nice They come with velcro to keep them from moving, although I'd imagine they wouldn't anyway since they have a spot at the back for the little plastic deal that stock mats use.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:20 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mike993c2s
Back to my original question, is it fairly easy to remove that soft black "stuff" under the stock floor mat? What size screws did you get then? Are the Rennline ones too short, or do they strip easily?
Very easy to remove, most of it comes out in chunks, can be taken out by hand. If you want to be picky, you can go at the adhesive residue with rubbing alcohol/goo gone/steamer and a plastic scraper.

I just used the same size screw that came with the kit. The length is good, but the metal is soft (heads sheared off).
Old 08-16-2008, 06:28 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I like the OEM wood floor boards from the Cup/Supercup cars.....
Old 08-16-2008, 06:39 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a black textured one on the driver's side. I love it. It's not slippery when wet and fits perfectly above the 1" soft foam sound deadening that gets beaten up near the pedal area with regular carpeting.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:28 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 772 Likes on 416 Posts

I have a full (drivers side) setup and I am quite pleased. No issues being slippery when wet either.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:05 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

I have both full race mats and like them. I agree with Matt's comments about the poor hardware (not the driver's side. Issues are more with the passenger's side). I do have grip tape on mine.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:55 AM
mike993c2s
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jdistefa
Very easy to remove, most of it comes out in chunks, can be taken out by hand. If you want to be picky, you can go at the adhesive residue with rubbing alcohol/goo gone/steamer and a plastic scraper.
Matt, is there enough clearance around the edges of the track mat? Would it still fit if I decide to keep the carpeting/sound deadening material along the sides? I have looked at your picture from your other thread, but I couldn't tell if there is space or not.

I guess your point is that if I go with the full race set, then I should just strip the interior...... I like how the full race set is nicely bolted down (unlike the regular ones that use Velcro and the plastic retainer), but I'm not ready to strip out the interior (at least not yet).

For folks who have the non full race track mats, any issues with the mat sliding or moving (especially during track driving)?
Old 08-18-2008, 08:43 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mike993c2s
Matt, is there enough clearance around the edges of the track mat? Would it still fit if I decide to keep the carpeting/sound deadening material along the sides? I have looked at your picture from your other thread, but I couldn't tell if there is space or not.

I guess your point is that if I go with the full race set, then I should just strip the interior...... I like how the full race set is nicely bolted down (unlike the regular ones that use Velcro and the plastic retainer), but I'm not ready to strip out the interior (at least not yet).

For folks who have the non full race track mats, any issues with the mat sliding or moving (especially during track driving)?
Mike,

It would be tight, but it would probably work.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:40 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

I have the regular alm mat. The fit is perfect, & they look cool. Nothing had to be removed, or altered in any way. My floor mat just sits on it top of it, till I go to the track. The mat hold down also holds in the track mat.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:00 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had a set of the standards track mats for 4 or 5 years. I first used them in my 993s, and now in my 964 RSA (same mat). I obviously like them, and several friends purchased a set after seeing mine.

Mine came with large strips of "Velcro" to hold them in place (I put mine over the sound deadening material), allowing you to either place the street floor mats on top for street driving, or remove the track mats for the street. Mine have never been slippery with rubber soled driving shoes.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:19 PM
mike993c2s
Burning Brakes

Sounds like the regular ones work pretty well for a dual purpose car.....

Quick Reply: Rennline Track mats - opinions