Hello & Nearing end of stage 1

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 12:33 AM
Nollie
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Hello & Nearing end of stage 1

Hello Rennlisters!

Long time reader first time poster I have been working diligently on completing my stage 1 modifications to my pcar. Although... as I finish up I find myself yearning for the next bits and pieces to add on, what I've come to know as the slippery slope from reading your posts. So far, just about every question I've had I've been able to find some information on this forum; from wheel selection to uhaul trailer advice. This is a wonderful community and I'm glad to be a part of it... hopefully with time I'll have my own additions that will help others.

That was the hello, here's the stage one. First, a few thank yous. Most of all Steve Weiner from RennSport Systems. Without Steve's help I would have been left in the brink numerous times. He always helped, answered my emails quickly, and was extremely friendly. If anyone needs help with Porsche suspensions, I would seriously consider Steve as the guy to call. I started working with Steve before signing up for Rennlist. When I did, I was rather pleased that the guy helping me was so well known and liked. Others who helped along the way were John at CCW (set me up with my wheels), Reid at Kaizenspeed (came in on a day off to press my hubs), Nathan at Columbia Valley Luxury Cars (had a 993 with Motons that he let me measure up), the folks that worked on my car with me Rex, Ian, and Devin. And of course Rennlist with howto information by Jeff (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/258810-diy-suspension-install-for-dummies.html) and others letting me know what I needed to have ready and what to expect.

I'm a pseudo wrench. I've worked on several car projects but nothing to the extent that follows. With the above help we were able to get the suspension setup after two weekends (one weekened half days since it was an autocross weekend). Next week I'm traveling to Cantrell Motorsports to get the car aligned and then I'll call this chapter closed

Stage 1 for me consisted of getting the suspension under control. To do that heres what started me down the slope (I think I tumbled not slid):
* Moton Club Sport coilovers
* ERP Camber plates & monoball mounts
* EVO hub carriers and tierods
* RS front strut brace
* TRG front and rear sways with RS droplinks
And for fun I threw in
* Rennline Rev2 pedals
* Rennline aluminum track mats

Heres the car
Motons freshly unwrapped from driving down to Portland and back (I couldn't wait for UPS):

Car up on stands getting ready to be a 4x4 no longer:

Several shots of the car on the ground with the new wheels and tires on:

Rennline pedals:

I can't wait to read about your next mod, or to post mine. Take care, and keep the shiny side up :P

- Dan -
Old 08-04-2008, 12:55 AM
b5audia4
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice!!! Where did you your license plate holder using the tow hook hole? I found a couple of sites online, but they don't have the 993 listed (for other P-cars were available).
Old 08-04-2008, 12:58 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice. So what's for stage 2?

chuck
Old 08-04-2008, 01:10 AM
Nollie
Pro

Originally Posted by b5audia4
Very nice!!! Where did you your license plate holder using the tow hook hole? I found a couple of sites online, but they don't have the 993 listed (for other P-cars were available).
I contacted the guy at Mower Deck Axle Co (http://www.moweraxle.com/) and he was able to ship one out to me. I like the look, just wish I got it before the dealer had a chance to drill holes in my bumper

Originally Posted by csertich
Very nice. So what's for stage 2?
chuck
Recaros, harnesses, harness bar and possibly exhaust are on the list so far
Old 08-04-2008, 01:58 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Very nice!

Do Motons (for this application) use the very same end link mounts as found on the standard Bilstein HD shocks?

Said mount somewhat visible in this pic of my rust bucket:

Andreas
Old 08-04-2008, 08:50 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 579 Likes on 398 Posts

Super, You are off to a great start!
Old 08-04-2008, 09:44 AM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Safety equipment... Safety equipment.... Safety equipment!!!!!

You dropped a lot of coin on the go-fast stuff.... now it's time for the rollbar, fixed-back seats, seat-back braces, and harnesses.

I watched the unfortunate effects of poor safety equipment in a car that wrecked at the Glen this weekend. The reclinable recaro SRD seats collapsed on a rear impact. The driver flew to the back of the car. Fortunately, he sustained only minor injuries.

I also had my own brush-in with a tire wall at the Glen last month and was glad that the first purchase for me was the safety equipment. I'm not preaching, just passing on my personal experiences.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:56 AM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Glen, Is that true about the SRD's breaking and going back? That has always scared me. I had E30 M3's for years with SRD's (instructing at the Glen actually several times) and thought they would be ok. Damn!
Old 08-04-2008, 10:37 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Yikes...what happened (at the Glen)? Sorry for the thread hijack...
Old 08-04-2008, 01:01 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Nice setup!!! What did the shocks set you back?
Old 08-04-2008, 04:15 PM
Nollie
Pro

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Do Motons (for this application) use the very same end link mounts as found on the standard Bilstein HD shocks?
They do when your Moton supplier doesn't have a end link mount in stock and it's several weeks out so you try the Bilstein mounts on for size those are Bilsteins you see

Originally Posted by ninjabones
Safety equipment... Safety equipment.... Safety equipment!!!!!
Yep, stage 2 is safety concerned. Hadn't thought of a rollbar I'll be sure to add that to the list. I think I'd rather do that and leave exhaust for stage 3. Probably should have made that stage 1... oh well stage 2 will be done before the car sees anything more than an autocross event.

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
Nice setup!!! What did the shocks set you back?
You can pick just the Motons up from 4 to 5k. It's the other various bits and pieces that make up the entire suspension package that I hadn't thought about prior to starting down this road (such as hub carriers and tierods) that add to the cost. Overall like ninjabones says, serious coins fell out of my piggy bank.

-Dan-
Old 08-16-2008, 01:38 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Very nice!

Andreas

Hi Andreas,

As a matter of course, Moton doesn't provide the upper swaybar mounts as part of the system (its an extra cost option)but I do include them in all of my packages.

Moton was backordered on those items when the shocks arrived and since Dan didn't want to wait, I threw in some new Bilstein ones that I had on the shelf.

Normally speaking, you see the orange ones on there,...
Old 08-16-2008, 01:41 AM
allill
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dude, nollie, your car looks great!!!
Old 08-16-2008, 02:03 AM
Nollie
Pro

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Hi Andreas,
Moton was backordered on those items when the shocks arrived and since Dan didn't want to wait, I threw in some new Bilstein ones that I had on the shelf.
Yeah lol I had a serious case of want-to-start-playing-with-the-car-ism, but Steve hooked me up so it would work correct (thanks again ). It's under the car, I didn't care if it wasn't orange.

Originally Posted by allill
dude, nollie, your car looks great!!!
Thank you, I like it a lot
Old 08-16-2008, 11:08 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 148 Posts

Nice!

Quick Reply: Hello & Nearing end of stage 1