Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

993 race car or GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 01:14 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by AC993C2S
I vote stick with the 993 and strip it...although I am somewhat biased. :-)

Whatever you choose, I understand what you are going through and it sounds like we are after the same end result. Mine will be a "bitch" to drive on the street- a full blown race car, but I do plan on taking it for an occasional outing around town(with earplugs and a mouth piece to keep my teeth from rattling out of my head).
This is where I'm at. DACH cat pipes and supercups in a stripped car makes ear plugs mandatory, but it just sounds so damn good. 6-pt cage goes in next week, and the weight keeps coming down. It's really a visceral joy to drive and to me that trumps any discussion of running a 996 .
Old 08-21-2008, 01:50 PM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is hard to tell your experience level. I have seen a lot of wreaked GT3 coming off the track. I also wonder, as I slide down the slope, what modifications make me faster, and which just sound cool. I would go for a nice 993 C2S, and slowly modify it to a dedicated track car. Start with some interior/safety stuff (roll bar and 5/6 point harness) and move to the suspension. As your experience level goes up you can increase the intensity of the car to your liking.
--Joe
Old 08-21-2008, 05:29 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Floodj
...and which just sound cool.
That's half the fun!
Old 08-21-2008, 05:42 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jdistefa
DACH cat pipes and supercups in a stripped car makes ear plugs mandatory
Get that car on track with a helmet on and let me know if you still feel the same
THX for the plug btw
When you get ready for some real fun, we'll go to something like this for you.....FANGS! Good for another 30 lbs +/-

Last edited by 993inNC; 02-06-2013 at 07:04 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:15 AM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ninjabones
Here's what I'd do if I had $150K burning a hole in my pocket:

1. 993 track appliance: approx $40K
2. Cayenne GTS tow vehicle and adrenaline machine for the street: $80K
3. Trailex open trailer: $7K
4. Toyota Prius (token effort to appease the environmentally conscious neighbors): $23K
I like the above suggestion or Option 2.. I have the poor man's version of Glens.

1.)Tracked 993
2.)Tricked out Touareg doubles as Mom Mobile and Tow Vehicle: (I wanna GTS)
3.)Open Steel trailer with all the goodies
4.)Bi-Turbo Bimmer (Screw the Ozone)

Still under $150K
Old 08-22-2008, 01:00 AM
dwe8922
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 15 Posts

If you only want one car the best car to track and drive on the street would be a 7gt3. A race prepared car will be more fun on the track, but you can't drive it on the street and have to tow it, but with your budget you could buy a dedicated race car, and a fun street car, and have the best of both worlds. I started out with one compromise car, and now I'm heading in the direction of race car + fun street car.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:36 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Louis, some great advice has already been given here. Let me share my thoughts:

I think we are pretty much in the same situation. The difference is I don't need a DD. But I am looking for a 993 that is a track car that can be used on the street. That means you want a light car (NB) and you want something with mats in it (albeit thin ala appbiz) so you don't have to wear earplugs going on the occational sunday drive. I've thought about a NA GT2 conversion too (vs. an RS replica) but there are a couple of things that put me off. 1. It's difficult to replicate the GT2 look correctly with all the body work needed (e.g bolt on flares need to be precisely mounted) and it's expensive to source all the OEM stuff. 2. It would look a little poser with that huge wing and an NA motor underneath. and 3. It's going to be heaver. So think about pouring that money into an RS or RSCS conversion as well and spend whatever you have left on the second car, a WB 993, either a C2S or a C4S. After much thinking I've come to the conclusion that for me, the ultimate car is a comfort spec. 993 RS. Both you and I know you are more of an NA guy, just like me. Great minds think alike . GL with whatever you decide !

Old 08-22-2008, 10:02 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 554 Posts

I jumped from a NA 993 with PSS9s to a 2004 GT3. I find the GT3 is so much more than the 993. Yes, the 993 is a beautiful car and represents the best of the air cooled cars, but the GT3 drives so much better that those details are not a consideration, for me. Run the car to the redline and goosebumps appear all over you.

The GT3 is claimed to be a rough ride, so you have to determine if that is true for you. For me it is my only car and I drive it every day, every where. I even drove it through the tropical storm Fay and it was a blast.

Personally, I don't want a second car, so I would save the extra $75K and just get the GT3. Of course if you change your mind and want another 993, the $75 K is still in the bank.

The 997 GT3 will perform better and give you a little more comfort than the 996, if comfort is important. However, I find the 996 GT3 easy to live with and a blast to drive on any road and under any weather condition. Your opinion is what counts, so find the shoe that fits best and have fun.

Whatever you choose, let it be your choice. Everyone has an opinion, but none count more than yours for this decision. Try a bunch out and then follow your heart. All are great cars, so you can't loose!
Old 08-23-2008, 01:18 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,007 Likes on 1,776 Posts

Rob: No doubt you know what I'm going through...your build of your RSCS was an inspiration to me and put evil thoughts in my head about building a track car. This is one thing the 993 option has over buying an almost turn-key GT3...having the opportunity to roll up my sleeves and build the car of my dreams. My primary concern with the RSCS clone idea is power constrains and furthermore the limits within which I'd have to stay to compete in stock class should I decide to take up club racing in stock class down the road. Now that you've had enough seat time, do you ever crave more power and do you feel you can outgrow the car?

Dave: You're right, it's a great option except I think I've already owned my last SUV and I really want to be able to drive a 911 on the street, even if it shares duty with some sort of family hauler. I've owned a t-reg btw, great truck.

David: No doubt this is THE option, however, I just can't fathom it can work for me given where I live and how I live. What will work is a car that is set up for track but can be driven to and from the track with track tires in tow. Think clubsport vs. motorsport. A compromise, I know, but one I'll just have to live with.

Viggo: When I say GT2 clone, I actually mean using a TT platform and working toward ~2,900lbs, 450-490HP and RWD along with all the track goodies. The RSCS would be slightly lighter with just north of 300HP if I can manage it. I know, I know, I like linear power better too and I wouldn't take a TT just for the sake of power but if put through the right diet and converted to RWD, it would be a different animal and the idea is hard to shake.

Marv: Well said and good points. There is no doubt from the poll here and in the 6 and 7 GT3 forums where I also posted that the clear preference is the 6GT3 option. That said, I frankly don't know that it's the right option for me. After the dozens of cars I've owned with zero attachment, I just can't seem to shake the 993 fever. I value everyone's opinion here and I'm grateful for all the feedback but no doubt the final decision will be made based on my needs, wants, dreams and aspirations.
Old 08-23-2008, 03:14 AM
dwe8922
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 15 Posts

You really should go and try to drive examples of all the cars you are thinking about. The 6 and 7gt3 were a good bit different in how they drove, but I was in awe of both of them. They are probably the ultimate compromise, drive it to the track, track car. When I got my 360, I decided to put my 993 up for sale to be able to also build a 996 club race car. I just couldn't do it, I couldn't part with it. My friends all thought I was nuts for letting it go, and even my parents were upset I was going to sell. And I just felt like I was making a mistake. Point is that we can tell you lots about what's good and bad about each, but only your first hand experience, and feelings towards the cars can tell that for you. Most don't, but I consider my 993 rs clone, the 360, and gt3's on an even plane, just w/ different attributes. If the 993 platform really tugs at you, and you "can't shake the fever", then listen to yourself.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:35 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by 993inNC
Get that car on track with a helmet on and let me know if you still feel the same

When you get ready for some real fun, we'll go to something like this for you.....FANGS! Good for another 30 lbs +/-
Oh it's been on the track, and I'm still wearing earplugs with the helmet. I haven't been married long enough to start saying "huh?" .... And Chris, sign me up for a set of fangs - put it on your winter build list.

Louis - I'm sending you a PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:17 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Hi there buddy. Long time no hear. Any updates?

I just re-read this great thread. I think many of us are in the same boat as you. You asked Rob if he would outgrow the power in his Rivi-blue track beast. Well, I don't know what he is up to but he better have a good reason to get out of that car . Might be something for you to look at?

What was your conclusion so to speak, after thinking this over? As you know I bought a TT and I must say I'm thrilled by the gobs of power it produces. And the "lag" is almost non-existant with the K16s.. Like you said, a modded 993TT (e.g rwd, with nice suspension and turbo tweaks) would be an awesome track weapon, yet totally driveable on the street.. Don't get me wrong I love NA 993s in general and 9M 993s in particular, but given the performance you get for the money by buying a 993TT, it's very hard to argue why that shouldn't be the weapon of choice.

Just curious I guess

Quick Reply: 993 race car or GT3?